Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
If a base 991 perfectly meets someone's needs, wouldn't it be foolish to spend more just to not be driving the entry level model? Moreover, I don't know where you are getting the $80K price that you referance. Even moderately optioned 991s sticker for $100K, and other than you I have never met anyone who referred to a base 991 as "a stripped down least coveted purposely-kept-down Carrera." I would expect that 99.99% of car enthusiasts would love to own a base 991.
Nah, better to get a fully optioned Cadillac with $30k of useless features just to avoid the stigma of having the lowliest, base 911 that just screams, "I'm a poseur who couldn't afford a Turbo S, a Turbo, a 4S, or even an S. The shame!"

What a ridiculous conversation. I can't believe I contributed several times to this foolishness.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

$80K for a base, not the S

Hey, I'm not saying the base Carrera isn't a fine car. I'm not saying it wouldn't suit most people's needs and then some. I'm not saying most people wouldn't love to own one.

What I am saying is it would be hard for me personally to wrap my head around the idea of plunking down $80,000 for a car that's a base car. For $80K, I want a "best car", not a "base car".

It's just my opinion. It doesn't need to be yours
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy

What a ridiculous conversation. I can't believe I contributed several times to this foolishness.
Another victim of the train wreck syndrome...just can't help but take a second look...and a third....
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Nothing on TV or I am bored at work (like now).
Old 05-23-2014, 05:47 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I would never be able to spend $80K or more on a base Carrera, just because, for that price, I don't want to be driving the bottom-rung Carrera. $80K for the bottom? Not for me.

I'd rather have another lesser automaker's best, flagship car at $80K than a stripped down least coveted purposely-kept-down Carrera for the same money.

I would have a hard time spending that kind of money for the "least" of something. I'd rather drive the "best" of something, even if it was a lesser brand car.
The only flaw in that logic is that Porsche's worst 911 is still better than the other brands best (m3, amg, ...) !
A Carrera 2 is still a worthy 911 and no matter how hard you look down on it, it is the same car as a Carrera S !
Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Well, I already own the Carrera I wanted, so I don't need to test-drive

But if I were in the market, for $80K, one could get a used 997.2 Carrera GTS, or a new base 991 Carrera.

I know which one I'd choose.
Me too. I made the choice last year. 991 C2 all day, any day !
10 year old car/technology vs latest iteration, no brainer. Plus the wife told me in the showroom NOT to get "that old car", "get the new one or don't get one at all". Who am I to contradict the misses !
Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast1
If a base 991 perfectly meets someone's needs, wouldn't it be foolish to spend more just to not be driving the entry level model? Moreover, I don't know where you are getting the $80K price that you referance. Even moderately optioned 991s sticker for $100K, and other than you I have never met anyone who referred to a base 991 as "a stripped down least coveted purposely-kept-down Carrera." I would expect that 99.99% of car enthusiasts would love to own a base 991.
Don't forget regional differences. A lightly optioned C2 will set you back 150.000 USD where I live. Add on to that running costs (taxes, insurance, petrol and stuff) are plenty different from C2 to C2S. To me, in my situation, next step up from the C2 is not the C2S but the GT3. C2S and GT3 have about the same pricetag and running cost over here ! Easy to see the C2S is not an option I'd pick in that case !

Last edited by bccars; 05-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$80K for a base, not the S

Hey, I'm not saying the base Carrera isn't a fine car. I'm not saying it wouldn't suit most people's needs and then some. I'm not saying most people wouldn't love to own one.

What I am saying is it would be hard for me personally to wrap my head around the idea of plunking down $80,000 for a car that's a base car. For $80K, I want a "best car", not a "base car".

It's just my opinion. It doesn't need to be yours

Lol @ $80k
Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Going from a base C2 to a C2S is not the same as going to a GT3. I find it hard to believe that a C2S and GT3 have a similar price tag. A C2S will do everything a base car will do.....just better. A GT3 will give you way more performance than a base car but you give up lots as a DD. No sunroof. No decent stereo. etc etc. Not important if you track the car. A C2S is an upgrade. No and's if's or but's. If you can't afford or want a C2S that's OK. The base car is still a 991. I don't think the choice between a 997.2 GTS and a 991 base is so crazy. I think many would choose the GTS. I traded my 997.2S for a 911/50. I would not have traded it for a base 991. My 997.2S was a totally awesome car. Going to a base C2 would not have been an upgrade in some areas. I actually preferred the steering in my 997.2 although not by much. I don't get defensive if someone tells me they think a GT3/TT is better than my 911/50. I just tell them the 911/50 suits my needs and the GT3/TT weren't cars I aspired for. Why be so defensive about a base 991? It's a great car. Maybe more than you want or need. But a C2S is just plain nicer(for a price). There really is no argument here. Any discussion that says a base car is all you need is flawed. All you really need is a honda civic. Why get a 991 at all? Do you need 350 HP? Of course not. You get it because you want it. Same goes for a C2S. No one needs the extra HP but it sure is nice.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

True story: The only reason I got the S is because the wife didn't allow me to spend the money on the GT3 or turbo S. So in order to deal with this first-class setback I have to **** on the base 911 to make me feel better. Seriously, if I had the base I'd cry myself to sleep every night.

Also, when my neighbor got a better stereo system I gave myself an eating disorder.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehehe, funny.
Don't want to take this thread off track...........but another decision I see coming to this forum will be base 911 vs Cayman GTS.
My bad....just had to
Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
True story: The only reason I got the S is because the wife didn't allow me to spend the money on the GT3 or turbo S. So in order to deal with this first-class setback I have to **** on the base 911 to make me feel better. Seriously, if I had the base I'd cry myself to sleep every night.

Also, when my neighbor got a better stereo system I gave myself an eating disorder.
Cheers TP, I found this very funny!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:44 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Meps. Unacceptable. (But I will give a pass if you can name the character.)

You are on the right track. Except the 991S comes with PASM standard, and PASM is a far more significant improvement than anything a simple wheel change can match.
Beldar Conehead. What do I win?

And, PASM is only a $2090 option on the Carrera...just a tick more than you'd pay for those whacky/heavy 20" wagon wheels. Then, you'd have the double performance advantage of PASM and lighter/better-looking wheels.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lighter/better looking wheels? That's pretty funny.....even for Rennlist.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

We ca go right from here to PDK vs MT or coupe vs cab or 997 vs 991 etc. it's like watching a rerun. If you are asking you probably already know what you want you're just looking for confirmation. Good luck with that.
They are both great cars and to say there is only little difference between the the S and non S or debate the driver skill aka Walter Rohl is a bit ridiculous. There is a noticeable difference but what's really important is does that matter to you.
For me it's about what are you really looking for in a car and just don't leave the table still hungry. Again I say "for me" so don't jump down my throat, if you are planning on keeping the car long term get whatever matches your wallet and ego just buy it right. If you are planning short term with upgrade I believe the S is a more sought after car and will trade and resell better. Once you start driving these cars upgrading, adding more power or stuff is somewhat inevitable. And push the search button. If you don't like what you're hearing here there are about a thousand more opinions on this subject.
Good luck.

Last edited by Penn4S; 06-04-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S