Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so i never had a "I should have gone with an S" moment, I never test drove an "s" coming from my 997. As my DD, in Washington DC traffic, I find ample power and the car is certainly "fast enough" (blasphemy, i know...) for my needs. Im sure the "S" is awesomer...
Old 05-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stevebmd - I on the other hand have driven them all, find all of them to be awesome, but chose the car that is best suited for me...(and like you,) I did it all by myself! Imagine that!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is so weird. My name is also steve b and I am an MD.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

[QUOTE=Bacura;11386665]That is so weird. My name is also steve b and I am an MD.[/QUOTE

Old 05-22-2014, 03:34 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
An invalid but perfectly understandable perception is that most others share our attitudes and values. Having owned 911s for over 40 years, I have found that most Porsche owners are sports car enthusiasts and take a great deal of pride in their Porsches regardless of model. But there are others who buy a Porsche as a status symbol. This latter group is far less likely than the former to wave or even acknowledge a wave from another Porsche owner.

Moreover, there are many people who simply don't value what Porsche offers. To this group a car that offers comfort and almost complete isolation from the road is what they value. So a $90K Lexus LS 460 is the car that they buy, and they are completely baffled as to why anyone would spend $125K+ on a compact car that offers little in the way of comfort.

Bottom line is that those who buy a Porsche to impress others will likely be disappointed, since as incredible as it may be to members of this forum, there are many people who don't care for Porsches for a variety of reasons.
I agree and going along with that I don't ever want a car like the Porsche to turn into a Lexus LS because of the people who buy it as a status symbol. The only other Porsche owner I've talked to in person absolutely loved his car and knew everything about it.

I bought the car b/c I enjoy driving and the feeling of driving a sports car where I feel connected to the car and am actively engaged in driving. Hence why the MT is so important to me. Taking that away ruins the fun of driving for me.

That said, I also value luxury cars like the LS, S, 7 series, etc for being good at what they do. If I need to sit in traffic for hours and am exhausted I want a rolling living room. So depending on how I feel and the driving I'll either take the luxury car or the sports car. I don't understand putting a "sport package" on a luxury car or dumbing down sports cars to act just like a luxury car.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I would never be able to spend $80K or more on a base Carrera, just because, for that price, I don't want to be driving the bottom-rung Carrera. $80K for the bottom? Not for me.

I'd rather have another lesser automaker's best, flagship car at $80K than a stripped down least coveted purposely-kept-down Carrera for the same money.

I would have a hard time spending that kind of money for the "least" of something. I'd rather drive the "best" of something, even if it was a lesser brand car.

However, to each his own
Old 05-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I would never be able to spend $80K or more on a base Carrera, just because, for that price, I don't want to be driving the bottom-rung Carrera. $80K for the bottom? Not for me.

I'd rather have another lesser automaker's best, flagship car at $80K than a stripped down least coveted purposely-kept-down Carrera for the same money.

I would have a hard time spending that kind of money for the "least" of something. I'd rather drive the "best" of something, even if it was a lesser brand car.

However, to each his own
Wow! At least now I better understand your moniker.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Chiboy
Racer

However, to each his own
There are other areas in life where you can also follow this sage advice:

Buy the most expensive bottle of wine that a mediocre winery sells, rather than the least expensive wine that a good winery sells. Like with car shopping, you don't even have to taste the wine, just make sure it's not "entry level" and you should be ok.

But the most expensive house in the least desirable neighborhood rather than the least expensive house in a more desirable neighborhood. As a bonus, all your new neighbors will look up to you for having the nicest house!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Comparing wine to cars is a specious analogy. An $80K also-ran would leave a worse taste in my mouth than a $50 bottle of poodle-wash wine, that's for sure. And the best lesser car doesn't always mean "mediocre".

Your real estate analogy is also terribly flawed, as you can always tear down the worst house in the best neighborhood or remodel it to make it better. If you buy a base Carrera, you cannot make it an S, GT3 or Turbo. You're stuck with what you have.

$80K is a lot of money for a lowest on the totem pole model car. That's my point
Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Comparing wine to cars is a specious analogy. An $80K also-ran would leave a worse taste in my mouth than a $50 bottle of poodle-wash wine, that's for sure. And the best lesser car doesn't always mean "mediocre".

Your real estate analogy is also terribly flawed, as you can always tear down the worst house in the best neighborhood or remodel it to make it better. If you buy a base Carrera, you cannot make it an S, GT3 or Turbo. You're stuck with what you have.

$80K is a lot of money for a lowest on the totem pole model car. That's my point
Ok. I'll admit it saves some time not having to test drive cars to figure out what you like.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Well, I already own the Carrera I wanted, so I don't need to test-drive

But if I were in the market, for $80K, one could get a used 997.2 Carrera GTS, or a new base 991 Carrera.

I know which one I'd choose.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Alec Syme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I already own the Carrera I wanted, so I don't need to test-drive

But if I were in the market, for $80K, one could get a used 997.2 Carrera GTS, or a new base 991 Carrera.

I know which one I'd choose.
Huh. Well I bought a base carrera cab recently. It's a 991. Got some nice options. It's a manual. To the defense of Porsche they don't make a crappy car. None of them. 350 hp is enough for me. Goes and stops like mad if I want it to. Total blast to drive really. I just don't understand this argument. These are all fine pretty elite cars.

alec
Old 05-22-2014, 11:55 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Can I assume all S have Burmester?...why settle for the BASE or BOSE, right?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO we should all stick together and just be happy with what we drive. I don't know if it's just me, where I work, whatever, but why do people feel the need to kick each other in the nuts over their car. Boxster is "girl Porsche", Cayman "poor man Porsche" or "when you can't afford 911", 911 is either "wow that's so expensive, must be nice" or "why didn't you get turbo?" We should be laughing at those morons we are all surrounded by rather than committing fratricide on ourselves. But I'm just a new guy so what do I know?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:23 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

However, to each his own
If a base 991 perfectly meets someone's needs, wouldn't it be foolish to spend more just to not be driving the entry level model? Moreover, I don't know where you are getting the $80K price that you referance. Even moderately optioned 991s sticker for $100K, and other than you I have never met anyone who referred to a base 991 as "a stripped down least coveted purposely-kept-down Carrera." I would expect that 99.99% of car enthusiasts would love to own a base 991.

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S