Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Mrstep!
The MT-guys are all like: hey, if you want a PDK, sure why not?
The PDK-guys go out of their mind if you even think about getting an MT...

I was just cruisin in my car and I thought of another thing of why I like MT so much. Every time you change gear the motor returns to it's normal revs and then you get to hit the gas again, and again and again... With an automatic you just step on the gas and that's it.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Here's more " material " for those who've missed it :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...n-affairs.html
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
Rev-matching, working the 3rd pedal, and having to take one hand off the wheel is more involvement - not faster, certainly not better than a computer program can do it, but inherently more involving.
Yes, more involvement, but not driving involvement, only shifting involvement. For driving involvement, check the PDK box !
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart Baeyens
+1 Mrstep!
The MT-guys are all like: hey, if you want a PDK, sure why not?
The PDK-guys go out of their mind if you even think about getting an MT...

I was just cruisin in my car and I thought of another thing of why I like MT so much. Every time you change gear the motor returns to it's normal revs and then you get to hit the gas again, and again and again... With an automatic you just step on the gas and that's it.

Not completely true.

If this was November 2010 I wouldn't even consider a PDK 997.

While I do miss that third pedal when I'm on a nice winding road in Malibu without any traffic around I don't miss having to drag that clutch while sitting on the 405 Frwy for the other 85% of the day and night.

I'm out of my freaking mind for most everything else in my pseudo chaotic Los Angeles life. I never go out of my mind thinking about the thought of getting in line for a 2014 GT3.... only if it was available in a MT.

Metzger < to new motor... I can't wait to drive that new car. Even if it does only come in PDK.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Metzger < to new motor... I can't wait to drive that new car. Even if it does only come in PDK.
You can't be serious!

Mezger=racing proven, 9A1 clone=?....to be continued...
MPG maybe?!....Naaah! That one neither :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...1-gt3-mpg.html
Old 11-21-2013, 01:48 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

I'm serious.

But not too serious.

It's all about progression of technology.

The new motor. Not proven yet but look at the potential. Just like you said. To be continued.... only time will tell.

I don't hate my F430 just because of my 458. Right?

The 991 was enough to bring me out from hiding.

Let's just see. The Metzger is and always will be. But we have to go somewhere from there.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 PM
rglbegl
Racer

So I was wondering;
Does everyone who drives the PDK wear a digital watch?

They are faster to tell time by .1 seconds, they are the way of the future. . . . . . .
Old 11-21-2013, 02:10 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Is that a PDK I see in there? lol.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
You can't be serious!

Mezger=racing proven, 9A1 clone=?....to be continued...
MPG maybe?!....Naaah! That one neither :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...1-gt3-mpg.html

Ah.

I should have read your bold type signature before I posted earlier. My bad.

Metzger ....... progression.... new motor. By using the ( > ) it appeared that something new and untested is better. Of course not. But it is new... and it is here. And while it is here that can be no peace.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Ah. I should have read your bold type signature before I posted earlier. My bad. Metzger ....... progression.... new motor. By using the ( > ) it appeared that something new and untested is better. Of course not. But it is new... and it is here. And while it is here that can be no peace.
By bold type signature you mean what appears every time I post or that I was trying to point out that Mezger is spelled without a " t " and is referred to Hans Mezger,the successful engine designer ?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
By bold type signature you mean what appears every time I post or that I was trying to point out that Mezger is spelled without a " t " and is referred to Hans Mezger,the successful engine designer ?

You are correct!

I love using T's like it's 1990 and I'm playing Wheel of Fortune !
Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

You are correct! I love using T's like it's 1990 and I'm playing Wheel of Fortune !
Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope they race the new engine, it does look promising. Of the three biggies on the new GT3, PDK only, un-race tested engine, and rear wheel steering, I'm most concerned with the RWS. Heat from tracking a car kills components and toe angle on the rear of 911s is extremely important. You can chunk a tire to failure in less than a lap and depending on when that catastrophe strikes it could be bad or unthinkable. I hope it holds up, only time will tell.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
So I was wondering;
Does everyone who drives the PDK wear a digital watch?

They are faster to tell time by .1 seconds, they are the way of the future. . . . . . .
Ahhh....the concept of "capture" versus "transmission" comes into the conversation. Digital watch "captures" data more accurately, yes. However analogue watch "transmits" data more quickly to the eye. It takes longer to read the several digits on a digital watch, but when you are through you know the time very precisely. A quick glance at an analogue watch gives you an approximation of the time in an instant, and is accurate enough for most applications.

MT versus PDK perhaps confuses the issue. MT (analogue) in this case is neither as fast in terms of transmission (sorry - pun unavoidable) nor as precise or accurate.

That said, there is also the notion of "art" versus "science." I appreciate the precision of a digital watch, but I wear an analogue watch because it is accurate enough for my needs and I value the "art" and aesthetic. I drive a PDK because I am so impressed by the science and effortless precision (did it become "art" in the process?,) it (for me) trumps the "art" of the MT. The debate is endless when the topic is subjective.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:39 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Originally Posted by Hammer911
. . . .
MT versus PDK perhaps confuses the issue. MT (analogue) in this case is neither as fast in terms of transmission (sorry - pun unavoidable) nor as precise or accurate.

That said, there is also the notion of "art" versus "science." I appreciate the precision of a digital watch, but I wear an analogue watch because it is accurate enough for my needs and I value the "art" and aesthetic. I drive a PDK because I am so impressed by the science and effortless precision (did it become "art" in the process?,) it (for me) trumps the "art" of the MT. The debate is endless when the topic is subjective.
Pun appreciated

So there is a newer, better, more advanced way to tell time, but you prefer the old way. Much like the manual people, they just prefer it.

And I am trying to keep this thread going, endless topic sounds good to me

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?