Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
If you ever get the opportunity to drive an antique with a manual, find a long multi brake point corner like turn 17 at Sebring and play with the clutch slip as you go down the gears. In a rwd car with the wheels turned, and depending on the overrun of the LSD the rear end will move around. You can make fine adjustments without upsetting the car. As I said its fun, you may even enjoy it.
Damn, I need some time to wrap my mind around this one ! You piqued my interest. I'm not sure you are right, but I'm not sure you are wrong either. We are getting soooo specific and technical now.
Damn shame we can't meet up over a beer to discuss this one ! As it's almost impossible to discuss and get all intricaties of this accross on a written forum.

I'm thinking back to my motorcycling days, where a rear brake would be used to keep the bike from getting to much on his nose, to keep it more stable. Gonna try in my daily driver (manual transmission Merc C-class and bmw 3-series diesel haha) if engine braking only sets the car on its nose like regular brake braking, or pulls the rear axle down in its suspension more like on a bike. Cool, you are actually the first one that comes with a very specific case that can actually challenge my belief there is no way the MT can be beneficial over a PDK, however specific that case might be.
Again, I'm not there yet to believe you, but it is intriguing !

Maybe, and hopefully, Chuck has more ammo than I have to set you straight at this point in time :-)

Makes me also wonder now about the PDK-S from the GT3. By pulling both paddles, do you simply get declutched and clutched, like digitally, 0 or 1 ? Or can you really control clutch engagement, clutch slip by "how much" you pull the paddles ?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:47 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mi650
+1. This is my fun car. I like using the 3rd pedal. I'm not interested in shaving a few tenths going around a track.
This sums it up nicely for me. In addition, between PDK and SC options, I have no interest in paying several thousand more for less fun.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Art Caputo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
If "PDK-only" is Porsche's direction in the near future, this thread should give pause to that decision.
I agree. I have been a loyal Porsche fanatic for most of my adult life, road driving and tracking. My oldest Porsche a 1959 356 , most contemporary a 997/GT3....and just about everything in between. I don't think I'm not alone in my position, but if Porsche were to discontinue a MT in the 911 I believe it would seriously put in question their understanding of what motivates their "loyal" base. I don't declare to be the end all to what drives sports car enthusiasts, but the last couple of dozen purchases by people I know here in the states that bought late model 911's wouldn't even consider the PDK, even with the understanding of the performance benefits. I'm hoping they don't believe their own BS, or become just another BMW or Ferrari. It will spell the beginning of the end of Driving in it's Finest Form, at least for me.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:56 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Caputo
I agree. I have been a loyal Porsche fanatic for most of my adult life, road driving and tracking. My oldest Porsche a 1959 356 , most contemporary a 997/GT3....and just about everything in between. I don't think I'm not alone in my position, but if Porsche were to discontinue a MT in the 911 I believe it would seriously put in question their understanding of what motivates their "loyal" base. I don't declare to be the end all to what drives sports car enthusiasts, but the last couple of dozen purchases by people I know here in the states that bought late model 911's wouldn't even consider the PDK, even with the understanding of the performance benefits. I'm hoping they don't believe their own BS, or become just another BMW or Ferrari. It will spell the beginning of the end of Driving in it's Finest Form, at least for me.
You are so right!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportscentury
This sums it up nicely for me. In addition, between PDK and SC options, I have no interest in paying several thousand more for less fun.
You're a better man than me. I'm lazy. Somehow shifting/clutching my way through more than five gears on an MT will a) give me tennis elbow, b) make me spill my martini, and c) oh I forgot c. Nevermind.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Actually, quite a bit more than a few thousand if you get PDK with SC. PDK is $4,080 alone and SC is another $2,370 with the PDK. That is about $6,500 more. Porsche is laughing all the way to the bank on those PDK sales. Granted some people get SC with the manual, but I think SC with the manual is only about $1,700.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Art Caputo
I do think that is the direction Porsche is going with the 991. The people they are marketing the car to prefer an automatic transmission.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:21 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Actually, quite a bit more than a few thousand if you get PDK with SC. PDK is $4,080 alone and SC is another $2,370 with the PDK. That is about $6,500 more. Porsche is laughing all the way to the bank on those PDK sales. Granted some people get SC with the manual, but I think SC with the manual is only about $1,700.
Correct - the net price delta for PDK/SC over MT/SC is $4,750.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I do think that is the direction Porsche is going with the 991. The people they are marketing the car to prefer an automatic transmission.
They thought that when they started with the 928, as well - nearly all of the 928s exported to the US were Tiptronic. How'd that work for Porsche?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:26 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Eh, I like the MT. Have always had one prior to the 991, but hey I also love new technology so...it's time to move forward for me rather than remain stuck int the past. Only speaking for myself; live & let live if anyone wishes to remain in the 80s. The 80s were cool.

Toll!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by holminator
Eh, I like the MT. Have always had one prior to the 991, but hey I also love new technology so...it's time to move forward for me rather than remain stuck int the past. Only speaking for myself; live & let live if anyone wishes to remain in the 80s. The 80s were cool.
Hey, I am waiting for the GPS controlled steering before I order my 991. Steering the car yourself is so old school. I am ready to move forward.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
They thought that when they started with the 928, as well - nearly all of the 928s exported to the US were Tiptronic. How'd that work for Porsche?
I said the same thing earlier. The 928 obviously didn't work out too well for them, but sadly, I do think they have abandoned the sports car enthusiast, at least with the 991. They are looking to affluent buyers who want to be seen in a prestigious car when they go to the "club". They are not interested in changing gears, and most of them wouldn't know how.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Hey, I am waiting for the GPS controlled steering before I order my 991. Steering the car yourself is so old school. I am ready to move forward.
Naw. Not before you master manual shifting with these. Crawl, walk, run.

F1 drivers on their way to the club. lol

But seriously, the F1 video really explains why PDK is such a key to 991 pure performance over an MT and why I moved away from MT after 40 years of driving MTs, including some of it on the track and years on the Autobahn.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by holminator
Naw. Not before you master manual shifting with these. Crawl, walk, run.

But seriously, the F1 video really explains why PDK is such a key to 991 pure performance over an MT and why I moved away from MT after 40 years of driving MTs, including some of it on the track and years on the Autobahn.
Actually, as much as I hate the demise of the manual transmission, I may actually try a PDK in my next Porsche (a 991). I am 61 and have more aches and pains each day it seems like. I think I have now "advanced" into Porsche's new target market for the 991.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Aches and pains--oh my God brother. I hear and understand yah! If I had known I was going to live this long I might have abused my body less.

Seriously though, I understand what you say about the MT. It was not an easy transition for me to give up that manual clutch. I still override the PDK on the fly all the time on downshifts. A computer will never be able to replicate my driving style on a mountain road in my lifetime I guess.

Forgive my sense of humor.

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?