Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 02:42 AM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
. . . PDK is better than Manual in some aspects . . . .
fify
It loses in the single most important category: The fun factor.
Why buy a fun car if it has lost the fun factor?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:12 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
fify
It loses in the single most important category: The fun factor.
Why buy a fun car if it has lost the fun factor?

+1. This is my fun car. I like using the 3rd pedal. I'm not interested in shaving a few tenths going around a track.

The PDK guys, for whatever reason, can't seem to understand this. Makes me wonder if they are embarrassed for their choice, and want us to join them so they don't feel so bad.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:19 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Caputo
Two years ago I would have thought absolutely not. Not sure now. When a company starts to believe they know what the customer needs more than the customer does, anything is possible.
They thought they knew more when the 928 was introduced also. We know how that turned out.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mi650
+1. This is my fun car. I like using the 3rd pedal. I'm not interested in shaving a few tenths going around a track.

The PDK guys, for whatever reason, can't seem to understand this. Makes me wonder if they are embarrassed for their choice, and want us to join them so they don't feel so bad.
You might be right about the embarrassed part. I have never heard anyone come up to a sports car owner with a manual transmission and say, I can't believe you got a manual transmission," but you sure do hear people laugh at having an automatic in a sports car.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 11-28-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Having control of the clutch is an important aspect of having control over a vehicle. Threshold braking into a corner and being be able to meet out just the right amount of engine braking, moving the brake bias to the driven wheels just before rev matching to the new gear, apexing and returning to full throttle is very entertaining for me. You can't control the slip in an auto.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mi650
LOL
Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 008
Having control of the clutch is an important aspect of having control over a vehicle. Threshold braking into a corner and being be able to meet out just the right amount of engine braking, moving the brake bias to the driven wheels just before rev matching to the new gear, apexing and returning to full throttle is very entertaining for me. You can't control the slip in an auto.
My instructors always tell me te engine is for speeding up, the brakes are for braking. That's why we heel-toe, to minimize influence of engine on braking and weight transfer. Weight transfer should be managed by throttle and brakes.

You are advocating using the clutch to play around with weight transfer. That sounds like an inefficient way to do that, actually resulting in less control !

The part the clutch plays in control of the vehicle is in its closed position, allowing you both options, being throttle and brakes, to play with. Clutch should be open and by definition out of control as little as possible !
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Hi, guys, what's going on in this thread? I was out driving. What'd I miss?
Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Hi, guys, what's going on in this thread? I was out driving. What'd I miss?
Manual>PDK>Manual>PDK.........and so on.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars
My instructors always tell me te engine is for speeding up, the brakes are for braking. That's why we heel-toe, to minimize influence of engine on braking and weight transfer. Weight transfer should be managed by throttle and brakes.

You are advocating using the clutch to play around with weight transfer. That sounds like an inefficient way to do that, actually resulting in less control !

The part the clutch plays in control of the vehicle is in its closed position, allowing you both options, being throttle and brakes, to play with. Clutch should be open and by definition out of control as little as possible !

Frankly, that level of car control won't come from an instructor. I've taught everything from car control clinics on dirt and gravel to open wheel race series qualifications and everything in between since I was fifteen. You use the tools available to you and you teach to the student's level. Everyone on the internet is an F1 driver and I don't mean to sound like one of those asses, but the level of ability between "instructors" is immense. Dictating the attitude of the car with the clutch is fun and effective.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Frankly, that level of car control won't come from an instructor. I've taught everything from car control clinics on dirt and gravel to open wheel race series qualifications and everything in between since I was fifteen. You use the tools available to you and you teach to the student's level. Everyone on the internet is an F1 driver and I don't mean to sound like one of those asses, but the level of ability between "instructors" is immense. Dictating the attitude of the car with the clutch is fun and effective.
Now this is fascinating. Can you tell us more about your clutch dictation technique?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:30 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuck911
Now this is fascinating. Can you tell us more about your clutch dictation technique?
Chuck is calling your bluff 008 ! And I'm watching it like a hawk. Always eager to learn !
Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
I doubt I could tell you anything.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars
Chuck is calling your bluff 008 ! And I'm watching it like a hawk. Always eager to learn !
If you ever get the opportunity to drive an antique with a manual, find a long multi brake point corner like turn 17 at Sebring and play with the clutch slip as you go down the gears. In a rwd car with the wheels turned, and depending on the overrun of the LSD the rear end will move around. You can make fine adjustments without upsetting the car. As I said its fun, you may even enjoy it.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If "PDK-only" is Porsche's direction in the near future, this thread should give pause to that decision.

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?