Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Kethran
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This seems like a great alternative to PIWIS and some other tools out there. Has anyone tried using one of these to code out air bag warning when swapping to aftermarket race seats?
Old 12-17-2023, 04:28 PM
it_manager
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bokh
Starting a thread with all the instructions to use Thinkdiag to code/access useful infos in our cars.
As a reminder, for now, if you want to do coding, you need an Android device. The iOS app has limited capabilities.

I'll start with accessing the Overrevs report:
In DME you go to read datastream then datastream1 then check operating hours and overrevs (1,2...6).
Sorry for dumb question - what is Thinkdiag and which particular model working with 991.2? Is it for Android only, or iOS will be supported too? Can this tool read ignition corrections per cylinder and write log files?
Old 12-18-2023, 11:05 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Why does it use the term code brush hiding?
Old 12-20-2023, 11:06 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 521 Likes on 208 Posts
Default fixing the engine temp readings?

Anyone figure out how to make the coolant and oil temps to show actual temperatures instead of the canned 194 using this device?
Old 12-20-2023, 12:13 PM
bokh
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
Anyone figure out how to make the coolant and oil temps to show actual temperatures instead of the canned 194 using this device?
for coolant temp I posted about it (post #14)
Didn't do it for oil temp but it must be a very similar (in the Cluster Instrument module)
Old 12-20-2023, 02:44 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 713 Posts

For those who changed steering software to GT3 and getting warning on the dash (early 991s) I found the trick to silence the warning.
Keep in mind that this trick silences all warnings related to the Electric Steering but not failures (you still get messages about failures).

Instrument Cluster =>Code/Brush Hiding=>Rule coding => you get a list of Warning Configurations (0 to 5 if I remember correctly)
In one of those Warning Configurations (I think it was the 3rd) you'll need to look for item number 121 (Warning Configuration --EPS warnings--Power steering fault warning (121). You set that to 0.

Are you sure it's just a warning, or is it an error?

Why give out instructions to hide a power steering error, instead of giving out the instructions to code it correctly so that you don't get an error?

How did you validate that the changes you made, which, through a suppressed error, did what was expected? Checksum on the module?

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 12-20-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:56 PM
bokh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Why give out instructions to hide a power steering error, instead of giving out the instructions to code it correctly so that you don't get an error?

How did you validate that the changes you made, which, through a suppressed error, did what was expected? Checksum on the module?

Are you sure it's just a warning, or is it an error?
it's a warning. Proof is that silencing warnings silenced it. This happens to early 991s when changing to GT3 settings. Changing this setting completely changed steering feel. Those who had this warning have been requesting a way to silence it and just shared how. There's a whole thread on steering wheel software, just go read it. Other's with PIWIS shared they did something similar.

Forums are for sharing tricks and findings. If you have an issue with that just ignore it. Don't ask why someone is sharing an information.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:31 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 713 Posts

it's a warning. Proof is that silencing warnings silenced it.
Did you suppress the dash warning in the instrument module, or fix the error in the power steering module? There is a difference.

This happens to early 991s when changing to GT3 settings. Changing this setting completely changed steering feel. Those who had this warning have been requesting a way to silence it and just shared how. There's a whole thread on steering wheel software, just go read it. Other's with PIWIS shared they did something similar.
I am aware of the thread. If you had read it, you would have seen the numerous contributions and testing I added to it. I am the one who told you about the existence ThinkDiag product in it and then invited you over to my house to show you how to use it when you stated it didn't work.

Forums are for sharing tricks and findings. If you have an issue with that just ignore it. Don't ask why someone is sharing an information.
If I had an issue with sharing information, I wouldn't have created a thread with coding advice a year and a half ago.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1306898-coding-fun.html

My issue is with telling people how to hide errors instead of how to solve the problem. You don't know what you are doing, you are just regurgitating old information provided by other forum members. If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be driving around with a suppressed error in your instrument cluster, and your power steering rack in a failsafe state.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 12-20-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:27 PM
aymen
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you suppress the dash warning in the instrument module, or fix the error in the power steering module? There is a difference.

I am aware of the thread. If you had read it, you would have seen the numerous contributions and testing I added to it. I am the one who told you about the existence ThinkDiag product in it and then invited you over to my house to show you how to use it when you stated it didn't work.

If I had an issue with sharing information, I wouldn't have created a thread with coding advice a year and a half ago.

My issue is with telling people how to hide errors instead of how to solve the problem. You don't know what you are doing, you are just regurgitating old information provided by other forum members. If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be driving around with a suppressed error in your instrument cluster, and your power steering rack in a failsafe state.
The OP litterally states that the thread is about regurgitating information from other members to have it in one place.
Life is too short. Just relax man...
The following 2 users liked this post by aymen:
ndfin (01-08-2024), Prius&991.1CS2 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 06:41 PM
bokh
Rennlist Member

Boy you really seem to be hurt because I shared a trick you sent me in a private message. I said it was tricks I learned on this forum. Just a matter of putting them together in 1 place and to have others contribute with other tricks. I even shared a print screen of your message on the other thread.

Just think of the number of people considering buying a manual transmission car finding themselves arranging appointments at Porsche dealers, paying sometimes $400 for a DME report who could now do it for as many car as they want in minutes with a cheap device.
Noone is winning any prize for sharing tricks.

The users on this forum are all enthusiast adults who can make a judgement on weather to silence a warning or not, or use a Chinese made cheap tool to code their cars...
Old 12-20-2023, 08:06 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Is there a particular version of ThinkDiag that you are using for these coding mods? Did you buy it directly from ThinkDiag?
Old 12-20-2023, 08:08 PM
aymen
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Is there a particular version of ThinkDiag that you are using for these coding mods? Did you buy it directly from ThinkDiag?
bought this one on Amazon. It was in promo for $80. I think on their website you can get it for like $66 with a promo code.
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-20-2023, 08:18 PM
bokh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
This one https://mythinkcar.com/products/thin...46636614353199

Use promo code THINKCAR20 to get an extra 20% off.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:28 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

The Thinkdiag website doesn't drill down into what codes it supports changing. Is there a list of them? I know the 718forums have done a bunch of work figuring out what's coded-where. I'm wondering how readily (if at all) the things they've discovered could be applied with Thinkdiag?

And Is there anything this can't do that the larger dongle unit supports? The biggest differences I could find from their website (and elsewhere) is the larger unit supports GM vehicles with CAN-FD and uses Bluetooth 5.0. Are either of them at all relevant to P-cars?

Last edited by wkearney99; 12-20-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:40 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
The Thinkdiag website doesn't drill down into what codes it supports changing. Is there a list of them? I know the 718forums have done a bunch of work figuring out what's coded-where. I'm wondering how readily (if at all) the things they've discovered could be applied with Thinkdiag?
A lot of 982 or 991 PIWIS settings can be applied with this. They have a list of cars and modules supported on their site. It is not as extensive as PIWIS or X431 but it gets the job done for basic coding. Not bad for $66.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (12-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic