Sponsored by:

4.0 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 05:33 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Keep in mind that he has been running an E40 fuel which can contribute to premature cat failure/clogging. That combined with the heat cycles of tracking, it's not totally surprising the ceramic cats melted - but I'm impressed with how badly they clogged the flow!

Glad it's been resolved now!

I’m not sure they are ceramic. They appear to be metal?

Either way, they are dead to me. 🤣
Old 12-03-2021, 09:13 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep in mind that he has been running an E40 fuel which can contribute to premature cat failure/clogging. That combined with the heat cycles of tracking, it's not totally surprising the ceramic cats melted - but I'm impressed with how badly they clogged the flow!

Glad it's been resolved now!
Had not heard that E40, or E85 for that matter, caused cat failure. Luckily the local (road course) tracks don't carry E85, so I never went down that path.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:17 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
Had not heard that E40, or E85 for that matter, caused cat failure. Luckily the local (road course) tracks don't carry E85, so I never went down that path.
I doubt it was the E40. Ethanol runs cooler than pump gas.

If you read above, I have first hand witnessed metal cats clog in a matter of weeks.
With the cost of Akra cats, I had assumed they were ceramic. Had i of known they were metal, I would not have bought them. Had Akrapovic of offered a catless solution, I would have much preferred that.
My son is taking great pleasure in saying, “I told you so” for buying the cats . He had said go catless from the outset.

Let’s be clear here, I have melted the coating off three sets of brake calipers. My car is fast, and gets driven fast on the track.

Fast track driving = Destroyed cats. Especially on cars where the cat is very close to the turbo’s.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 12-03-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:36 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Every thing seemed fine, until we bolted the new turbo’s on.

Stock turbo’s were running at 24PSI but had to taper off up top as they couldn’t hold boost to redline.

M800 we ran 25psi all the way to redline and only made 35hp. We turned boost up to 29psi and it never made anymore power than at 25psi. Some thing was definitely holding the power back.

I suspected the cats, but no one concurred. So I did the TiAL elbows and turbo inlet. They still made little difference.

My Tubi catless finally arrived. We put them on, and were able to hold 27psi all the way and made an additional 52hp.

So now I am at 87hp delta over the stock turbo’s. Which is pretty much what i would have expected bolting the M800’s on.

Now we definitely are out of intercooler and heat soak badly. (No fans in dyno)

The season is done and shops are booked solid to end of year. Not much point doing any thing else until next year.

I intend on changing the AMS I/C to the TiAL ones, as they have much larger end tanks and hoses. Then have a custom water/meth setup made. That should enable me to run 30psi.

Here is the thing, turbo’s don’t make power. Turbo’s make boost. The M800’s made plenty of boost effortlessly, but the car wasn’t making any more power with that additional boost. Now it is since going catless.
You are now at 87 delta, which is very impressive. Looking forward to your trap speed and 60-130!
Going cat-less from your cloggers is part of that. Wonder how your old GTS E40 tune would have done cat-less? Because your trap speed (130ish) has always been close to mine, which is a 93 tune.
Boost may not create power, but it does create heat. Our AMS's heat soak at 24 psi, you're going to have to come up with a lot of cooling to cope with 30 psi. My plan is a GT2 water sprayer. Not for more hp, just to run a whole session at full power. Tyler runs reduced boost at the track, and still heat soaks his Tial's. So that may not be your answer for the track, but help in roll racing.
The following users liked this post:
e46_ema (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 09:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
You are now at 87 delta, which is very impressive. Looking forward to your trap speed and 60-130!
Going cat-less from your cloggers is part of that. Wonder how your old GTS E40 tune would have done cat-less? Because your trap speed (130ish) has always been close to mine, which is a 93 tune.
Boost may not create power, but it does create heat. Our AMS's heat soak at 24 psi, you're going to have to come up with a lot of cooling to cope with 30 psi. My plan is a GT2 water sprayer. Not for more hp, just to run a whole session at full power. Tyler runs reduced boost at the track, and still heat soaks his Tial's. So that may not be your answer for the track, but help in roll racing.
Agreed. I’m doing the TiAL more for the increased flow.
But i can see they will still heat soak, thus the twin custom 400hp Water/Meth injection, I’m having made.

i took a look at the stock power of GTS in the same dyno.

I am now at a Delta of 227hp from Stock!

If the weather holds (it’s finally stopped raining) I am hitting the track tomorrow early at 6.30am.

Hoping to get a couple of 60-130 runs in.

My concern is the 3rd to 4th shift. Either the clutches are slipping, or the PDK is making them slip, due to torqure limits being exceeded.

I was trying to avoid Dodsons. May investigate more the HTG (GCU) Porsche call TCU replacement.

That would give full control over PdK to raise torque limits.

I have an OS Giken mechanical diff, so with traction control fully off, the car is running out of places to try and limit power. 🤣

The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
e46_ema (12-03-2021), fsmich (12-03-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 11:08 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Default 60-130MPH with passenger

Early days

I was at happy laps with a passenger, and through the Draggy in the glove box. Hoping to would capture at least one 60-130 and it did.

The car was circulating for about an hour before traffic was light enough to get a full length run in. So the car being heat soaked and with an adult passenger, its not bad.

Only at 27psi so far. Need meth to take it to 30psi.

Next year, when back in the swing of things will do the TiAL intercoolers and meth and turn it up to 30psi.

Whilst i don’t think the clutches are slipping, i get a shift refusal from 3rd to 4th.

So i have to short shift 3rd to 4th which costs me dearly as peak power is still at Redline. Which means there’s still plenty of power left on the table.

This is my bullet proof track tune btw . I won’t bother with a quarter mile or 60-130 specific tune until all mods are on and the car is close to completion.

Its constantly changing, so I just want the solid, beat on ot all day tune until complete.

If it stays dry, i have the last track day of the year this Friday. Looking forward to monstering some Ferrari Pista’s and GT2-RS’s.
e46_ema (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 02:08 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 127 Posts

Agreed. I’m doing the TiAL more for the increased flow.
But i can see they will still heat soak, thus the twin custom 400hp Water/Meth injection, I’m having made.

i took a look at the stock power of GTS in the same dyno.

I am now at a Delta of 227hp from Stock!

If the weather holds (it’s finally stopped raining) I am hitting the track tomorrow early at 6.30am.

Hoping to get a couple of 60-130 runs in.

My concern is the 3rd to 4th shift. Either the clutches are slipping, or the PDK is making them slip, due to torqure limits being exceeded.

I was trying to avoid Dodsons. May investigate more the HTG (GCU) Porsche call TCU replacement.

That would give full control over PdK to raise torque limits.

I have an OS Giken mechanical diff, so with traction control fully off, the car is running out of places to try and limit power. 🤣
Is that HTG tuner plug and play with the 991 PDK? Or does it require a standalone? It seems like a much better alternative to Cobb's OTS PDK maps assuming it works with the stock ECU.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:36 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Is that HTG tuner plug and play with the 991 PDK? Or does it require a standalone? It seems like a much better alternative to Cobb's OTS PDK maps assuming it works with the stock ECU.
I believe it is a direct replacement for the Porsche TCU. But it needs to be programmed. So someone needs to go first. Do I hear you volunteering as labour is 1,000 times cheaper in the USA than here.

Group buy perhaps. I believe it does work with stock ECU as well as MoteC.
e46_ema (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 09:32 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

I believe it is a direct replacement for the Porsche TCU. But it needs to be programmed. So someone needs to go first. Do I hear you volunteering as labour is 1,000 times cheaper in the USA than here.

Group buy perhaps. I believe it does work with stock ECU as well as MoteC.
If it’s a direct replacement why on earth aren’t more people running it?! They have PDK supported and a video of a 991 Turbo using it - though they mention it’s on a Syvecs standalone (which led to the question of whether it’s drop in compatible).

I would definitely be interested even without a group buy. it costs less than half of what AMG tuners charge just for a TCU flash for my C63S.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:40 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Cool

If it’s a direct replacement why on earth aren’t more people running it?! They have PDK supported and a video of a 991 Turbo using it - though they mention it’s on a Syvecs standalone (which led to the question of whether it’s drop in compatible).

I would definitely be interested even without a group buy. it costs less than half of what AMG tuners charge just for a TCU flash for my C63S.
If you haven't noticed, the majority of folks think that having their key painted to the same colour as their car is a lavish expensive mod.

I know I get tired of being the crash test dummy. I don't always want to be first and have the inconvenience of backwards and forward with teething issues. Most modders feel that the HTG is something you use when you put an entire different transmission in and are starting from zero. Which it does awesomely. Whereas it would take time and adjustment to get it shifting perfectly as Porsche does from stock. When you have unlimited adjustment. people get lost.

Once someone has paved the way, everyone else is not starting from zero. Things can be templated and copied. Makes it a lot faster. Lead the way Brother.
AlexZTuned (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 06:22 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

If you haven't noticed, the majority of folks think that having their key painted to the same colour as their car is a lavish expensive mod.

I know I get tired of being the crash test dummy. I don't always want to be first and have the inconvenience of backwards and forward with teething issues. Most modders feel that the HTG is something you use when you put an entire different transmission in and are starting from zero. Which it does awesomely. Whereas it would take time and adjustment to get it shifting perfectly as Porsche does from stock. When you have unlimited adjustment. people get lost.

Once someone has paved the way, everyone else is not starting from zero. Things can be templated and copied. Makes it a lot faster. Lead the way Brother.
I will definitely be inquiring about this. I’ll share any information I get from them, because this is game changing stuff.

Priorities are odd in the P-car community, but that’s what makes it unique and diverse 😉

For us power freaks, it’s a whole different perspective.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:47 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

No kidding.

The cost of a TCU tune for an E63S or C63S s a touch on the high side. I think that if they ran some numbers, the would probably sell a LOT more TCU tunes at a lower cost and end up with more $$$ in the end.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:09 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I will definitely be inquiring about this. I’ll share any information I get from them, because this is game changing stuff.

Priorities are odd in the P-car community, but that’s what makes it unique and diverse 😉

For us power freaks, it’s a whole different perspective.
Excellent. I look forward to hearing what you discover.

This is an Artists impression of my car, once i have finished modding. 🤣

4.0 Finished modding
Old 12-07-2021, 02:59 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Excellent. I look forward to hearing what you discover.

This is an Artists impression of my car, once i have finished modding. 🤣

4.0 Finished modding
Well, not quite the answer I had hoped for, but if anyone runs a standalone they’ll have a great option for PDK tuning now (rather than the OTS Cobb PDK maps):

Maybe one day we will see OEM ECU compatibility.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:02 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

4 Point 0 Sound.

No idea if this insta link will work.

#M.1.JOLLEY. Insta

Quick Reply: 4.0 Mods