The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 04:07 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
At least 50 hp
Yeah, we should be able to turn the boost up now.

So I am expecting a solid 50-75hp.

The M800’s with TiAL elbows and 3D Printed turbo inlets, with the Tubi Catless and 6psi more than before should yield a 100hp delta over the stock turbo setup.

e46_ema (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 09:26 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Did you ever run leaded fuel? I can't tell from the pics if the cells are deformed or have material caked on. Not good either way!
Old 11-25-2021, 02:59 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Did you ever run leaded fuel? I can't tell from the pics if the cells are deformed or have material caked on. Not good either way!
No, they don’r sell leaded fuel here.

I’ve mainly run 50/50 mix of E85/98RON Unleaded which is equivalent to your 93OCT. So E40.

I pick the car up today. So i can take a look at the cats, but more importantly hear it.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:46 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
I too am very curious at to why the cats look like that and what caused that deposit / failure etc.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:58 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I too am very curious at to why the cats look like that and what caused that deposit / failure etc.
How many of you have ever pulled your cats off and inspected them?

From my personal experience this is normal.

Cats have no place on a car that gets driven. If you drive miss daisy you’d be none the wiser.

When i had my M4 and was tuning it, my son had his E92 M3. He just put 100 cell sport cats on the car and took it in for tuning. He had other quality mods.

On the dyno after the tune, the car wasn’t even making stock power. Everyone were scratching their heads and noticed a red shining light under the car. Someone asked what the red light was? It was the. Rand new cats glowing red under the car. We immediately cut them out, replaced with straight pipe. Boom instant restore of full power.

We inspected the brand nee cats, barely on the car for 3 weeks, and they were completely blocked with what looked like mud. So my experience with this, was telling me the cats were the problem, whilst all around me, were saying no.

I could tell there was something wrong with the car. There was a serious blockage. I’ll say it loud and clear, it was the cats.

Whilst these were high end cats, that have been on the car for almost 3 years, they just took longer to do it than the cheap ones my son had that did it in 3 weeks.

I shall never run cats on any of my drive cars again. Commuter cars are fine.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:10 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Tubi 1

Tubi 2

Tubi 3
spdracerut (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 06:17 PM
e46_ema
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

E46 EMA

This is a good pic showing from Turbo to TiAL intercooler.

I believe my car is severely choked at that point, as it is stock size piping going to AMS I/C that also have stock size end tank openings.

You needed to know this to follow the mods, that lead to issues.

Here are more pictures I took during install process that you might find useful.

The following 3 users liked this post by e46_ema:
4 Point 0 (11-25-2021), IRunalot (07-20-2023), thesaintusa (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 10:25 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Cats have no place on a car that gets driven. If you drive miss daisy you’d be none the wiser.

When i had my M4 and was tuning it, my son had his E92 M3. He just put 100 cell sport cats on the car and took it in for tuning. He had other quality mods.

On the dyno after the tune, the car wasn’t even making stock power. Everyone were scratching their heads and noticed a red shining light under the car. Someone asked what the red light was? It was the. Rand new cats glowing red under the car. We immediately cut them out, replaced with straight pipe. Boom instant restore of full power.

We inspected the brand nee cats, barely on the car for 3 weeks, and they were completely blocked with what looked like mud. So my experience with this, was telling me the cats were the problem, whilst all around me, were saying no.

I could tell there was something wrong with the car. There was a serious blockage. I’ll say it loud and clear, it was the cats.

Whilst these were high end cats, that have been on the car for almost 3 years, they just took longer to do it than the cheap ones my son had that did it in 3 weeks.

Have pulled cats off 3 vehicles, and none looked like that, but all were removed after about 2 years. Minimal track days like you. I even had one 'glowing red' on my RX-7. Pulled the OEM cat and cut it to see if it was blocked. It was fine and just red hot. Replaced with a midpipe.

I have no doubt that the cats contributed to your issue, but I thought they were 'new'. Again, impressed to see that they were toast after just 3 years. Where they 200 cell? HJS cores?

Would like some input from the manufacturers of the HFC to see what their experience is with longevity.

Glad you will be putting down some monster power.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:40 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Have pulled cats off 3 vehicles, and none looked like that, but all were removed after about 2 years. Minimal track days like you. I even had one 'glowing red' on my RX-7. Pulled the OEM cat and cut it to see if it was blocked. It was fine and just red hot. Replaced with a midpipe.

I have no doubt that the cats contributed to your issue, but I thought they were 'new'. Again, impressed to see that they were toast after just 3 years. Where they 200 cell? HJS cores?

Would like some input from the manufacturers of the HFC to see what their experience is with longevity.

Glad you will be putting down some monster power.
Chatting with my race mechanic this morning. He said they got very hot to do that. He also said its partially because the cats are right off the turbos. Race cars try and move them further away to promote a little more longevity.

It was still a good effort to cook them.

They were Akrapovic 300 cell cats that use HJS.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-26-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:49 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

By going catless, We were able to raise boost to 27psi.

It has increased power by 52hp 🤣

So the delta over the maxed out GTS turbos is now 87hp.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-26-2021 at 12:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
AlexZTuned (12-03-2021), e46_ema (11-25-2021), thesaintusa (11-26-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 11:57 PM
e46_ema
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

By going catless, We were able to raise boost to 27psi.

It has increased power by 52hp 🤣

So the delta over GTS turbos is now 87hp.
Amazing news! Congratulations!
4 Point 0 (11-26-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:20 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

I hope my Akra cats don't look like yours Mine are a little older and have seen similar track days with a Cobb and APR tune.
What felt wrong with the car? I'm still hitting the same speeds in the straights, and the car seems to be running fine. Did you ever get a CEL?
Old 12-03-2021, 04:02 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
I hope my Akra cats don't look like yours Mine are a little older and have seen similar track days with a Cobb and APR tune.
What felt wrong with the car? I'm still hitting the same speeds in the straights, and the car seems to be running fine. Did you ever get a CEL?
Every thing seemed fine, until we bolted the new turbo’s on.

Stock turbo’s were running at 24PSI but had to taper off up top as they couldn’t hold boost to redline.

M800 we ran 25psi all the way to redline and only made 35hp. We turned boost up to 29psi and it never made anymore power than at 25psi. Some thing was definitely holding the power back.

I suspected the cats, but no one concurred. So I did the TiAL elbows and turbo inlet. They still made little difference.

My Tubi catless finally arrived. We put them on, and were able to hold 27psi all the way and made an additional 52hp.

So now I am at 87hp delta over the stock turbo’s. Which is pretty much what i would have expected bolting the M800’s on.

Now we definitely are out of intercooler and heat soak badly. (No fans in dyno)

The season is done and shops are booked solid to end of year. Not much point doing any thing else until next year.

I intend on changing the AMS I/C to the TiAL ones, as they have much larger end tanks and hoses. Then have a custom water/meth setup made. That should enable me to run 30psi.

Here is the thing, turbo’s don’t make power. Turbo’s make boost. The M800’s made plenty of boost effortlessly, but the car wasn’t making any more power with that additional boost. Now it is since going catless.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:00 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by fsmich
Keep in mind that he has been running an E40 fuel which can contribute to premature cat failure/clogging. That combined with the heat cycles of tracking, it's not totally surprising the ceramic cats melted - but I'm impressed with how badly they clogged the flow!

Glad it's been resolved now!
e46_ema (12-03-2021)

Quick Reply: 4.0 Mods