Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 01:20 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
That is why it is called voluntary. Even in dieselgate, not all Cayenne diesels underwent the change. If you don't want to do it to your 991, no one is forcing you to, except in states that requires you to meet the emissions requirements, which should have happened originally. In this instance, Porsche knew that they would be discovered sooner or later about the sport+ issue and decided to be proactive. Kind of like confessing for not paying taxes before the IRS imposed a heavy fine

..and you'll never see Porsche being specific. Even in dieselgate, they never clearly stated what the changes did, except that they are not compliant with the regs
In California, they include a letter that states the smog inspection may require proof that this was completed. This recall was done for California compliance IMO, so no, for many, this won’t be voluntary.

Last edited by Mojo.K; 12-23-2021 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 01:24 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
You are making the assumption this only impacts Sport+, but none of the letters indicate the changes only impact Sport+.

desmotesta (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 01:26 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,545 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
You are making the assumption this only impacts Sport+, but none of the letters indicate the changes only impact Sport+.
Agree. And that is one of my points. My two letters are conclusory without any factual or technical support. We really have no idea what is being changed because there is no technical information available from Porsche. The “butt dyno” comments here are anecdotal though interesting, relevant and I do enjoy reading other’s perceptions. For one, I would like to see a dyno comparison at various rpm ranges to begin with including a technical description of the exact mapping changes. Was FA mix changed? If so, when and how? If so, did that effect engine temps?
Old 12-23-2021, 01:33 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by visitador
That is why it is called voluntary. Even in dieselgate, not all Cayenne diesels underwent the change. If you don't want to do it to your 991, no one is forcing you to, except in states that requires you to meet the emissions requirements, which should have happened originally. In this instance, Porsche knew that they would be discovered sooner or later about the sport+ issue and decided to be proactive. Kind of like confessing for not paying taxes before the IRS imposed a heavy fine

..and you'll never see Porsche being specific. Even in dieselgate, they never clearly stated what the changes did, except that they are not compliant with the regs
Agree. In deiselgate, the owners received a sizable cash payment ($3500 I think) to get the recall so most did…but a few did not. The same reason Porsche soft pedaled the upgrades that the 9A1 had over the M96/97.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:39 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Agree. And that is one of my points. My two letters are conclusory without any factual or technical support. We really have no idea what is being changed because there is no technical information available from Porsche. The “butt dyno” comments here are anecdotal though interesting, relevant and I do enjoy reading other’s perceptions. For one, I would like to see a dyno comparison at various rpm ranges to begin with including a technical description of the exact mapping changes. Was FA mix changed? If so, when and how? If so, did that effect engine temps?
When you bought the car you didn't know any of the things that you're asking for. You only knew that the car met written performance specifications. The was all that mattered - did the car meet spec. It did and you bought it. You got what you paid for.

(Edit: Actually, it didn't meet the claimed emissions spec, but you didn't know that and still bought it anyways. Pretty sure you would have still bought it, regardless - after all it was the latest and greatest 911, so why not)

Well, here you are and an update is being done. You still won't know the things that you didn't know when you bought the car and it still doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is whether the car still meets written specifications. If it does, then story over. If it does not, then Porsche will have an even bigger contingent of pissed off owners to deal with and I'm pretty sure that they don't want that PR or fiscal liability nightmare to deal with. I really think that you're over thinking it.

It's your prerogative whether you get the update done and I'm pretty sure no-one here really cares whether you do or do not - that's your call. We do care whether our cars still meet spec and Porsche has provided written attestation to the effect that they do. I'm sure at some point someone eager person will dyno the cars to test their assertions, and if they no longer meet spec, then I'm sure there will be an equally eager class action attorney ready to get Porsche to open up their checkbook. Until then, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 12-23-2021 at 01:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wellardmac:
Chuck245 (12-24-2021), Kurvenflitzer (12-23-2021), Noah Fect (12-23-2021), Porsche_nuts (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 02:08 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Agree. In deiselgate, the owners received a sizable cash payment ($3500 I think) to get the recall so most did…but a few did not. The same reason Porsche soft pedaled the upgrades that the 9A1 had over the M96/97.
Oh no. between $9000 to $10000 plus 10 years power train warranty. But that was a massive fraud
Old 12-23-2021, 03:39 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
When you bought the car you didn't know any of the things that you're asking for. You only knew that the car met written performance specifications. The was all that mattered - did the car meet spec. It did and you bought it. You got what you paid for.

(Edit: Actually, it didn't meet the claimed emissions spec, but you didn't know that and still bought it anyways. Pretty sure you would have still bought it, regardless - after all it was the latest and greatest 911, so why not)

Well, here you are and an update is being done. You still won't know the things that you didn't know when you bought the car and it still doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is whether the car still meets written specifications. If it does, then story over. If it does not, then Porsche will have an even bigger contingent of pissed off owners to deal with and I'm pretty sure that they don't want that PR or fiscal liability nightmare to deal with. I really think that you're over thinking it.

It's your prerogative whether you get the update done and I'm pretty sure no-one here really cares whether you do or do not - that's your call. We do care whether our cars still meet spec and Porsche has provided written attestation to the effect that they do. I'm sure at some point someone eager person will dyno the cars to test their assertions, and if they no longer meet spec, then I'm sure there will be an equally eager class action attorney ready to get Porsche to open up their checkbook. Until then, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Well, your premise is incorrect again. When I bought them, I did research the performance of both cars as currently configured and as configured when purchased. All of that technical data (dyno numbers, mapping data, etc.) was and is readily available if you knew where to find it and could interpret it. As an engineer, I reviewed as much data as I could because we make better decisions when we have ample data to consider. Years ago I bought what Porsche advertised and I expected based on available technical data.

Now Porsche wants to change the deal because it was caught (again) cheating on emissions. Porsche wants to change the ECU tune on my vehicle without providing me ANY data whatsoever. How does one make an educated decision without data? Neither I or you have any idea what this tune does or does not include based on information to date. I can not make an educated decision based on a conclusory, one-page letter from Porsche. This situation is like Cobb or APR offering you a free ECU tune without providing you any information or data about the tune. Would you do that? As an engineer, I would want to review the data first. The tuner websites are loaded with dyno runs and mapping graphs for that very reason.

Good decision making is based on good data. So far, we have none. When and if we ever get that data, I might want the tune immediately. Or, I may think it is garbage. But I will not know until I see it. So, the best decision for me is to stick with the known data until convinced otherwise.

I agree that this is probably not a concern for those enthusiasts who use their cars as a DD or for weekend fun. But, we all do not wear a size 10 shoe and some of us have other uses. As to Porsche, trust but verify!

Happy holidays to all.
MesaSB (12-28-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, your premise is incorrect again. When I bought them, I did research the performance of both cars as currently configured and as configured when purchased. All of that technical data (dyno numbers, mapping data, etc.) was and is readily available if you knew where to find it and could interpret it. As an engineer, I reviewed as much data as I could because we make better decisions when we have ample data to consider. Years ago I bought what Porsche advertised and I expected based on available technical data.

Happy holidays to all.
You may have gotten that data from third parties, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen Porsche publish that information. There's a big difference. Porsche doesn't even give the mapping info to its own dealers, so I'm pretty sure they didn't happily hand it over to you so that you could audit them.
Chuck245 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 07:31 PM
Ginzo
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just got my letter as the rest of you have. I have been tracking this thread quietly as most that comment are a lot more astute than I am. This is voluntary and since there is currently so much that is unknown about this software update I will do nothing. Someone smart that has the tools will eventually do a dyno before and after with a detailed analysis. I only use the Sport+ in the manual mode use Sport at times in the auto mode why do the Recall. My driving style does not contribute to an increase emissions so there is no benefit. I could only have come to this conclusion from tracking this thread and all that have contributed. Thank you. So with that all that is left to do is wish all of your the best holidays and a healthy and happy New Year.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:04 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Changing a car to comply with an arbitrary emissions regime from California doesn't scream top performance to me. While some may claim it still meets Porsche advertised spec's (if we even know what that is, really), Porsche historically has delivered cars that performed BETTER than advertised. At some point in time, Porsche engineers thought they were getting the most out of their 991.1 and 981 engines while still meeting durability and warranty standards with the way the ECU and TCU's are coded now.

I'm not sure how you change a tune for emissions while keeping the performance exactly the same. The two are antagonistic of another, that's why they don't put catalytic converters on race cars. A before and after dyno pull is really the only way to tell.
noahabel (12-25-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I'm not sure how you change a tune for emissions while keeping the performance exactly the same.
You just don't hold gears to redline under part throttle conditions. That's it. It's that simple. Nothing else needs to change.

The real question is why Porsche ever thought that was a good idea to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, this recall gives me access to a function that I effectively couldn't use before.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
Chuck245 (12-24-2021), noahabel (12-25-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:32 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
You just don't hold gears to redline under part throttle conditions. That's it. It's that simple. Nothing else needs to change.

The real question is why Porsche ever thought that was a good idea to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, this recall gives me access to a function that I effectively couldn't use before.
Sure you could, just hit the shift button or paddle at the rpm of you're choosing. I would like to have the choice. This removes the choice for what really only reduces emissions on paper. Nobody drives around to redline on the street routinely, but at least for now, I can. Nobody needs to have a car that can go 190 mph, but for now, you can.

If it's merely changing the shift point, why the ECU?

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 12-23-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:45 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Sure you could, just hit the shift button or paddle at the rpm of you're choosing. I would like to have the choice. This removes the choice for what really only reduces emissions on paper. Nobody drives around to redline on the street routinely, but at least for now, I can. Nobody needs to have a car that can go 190 mph, but for now, you can.
In that case you might as well just stick with Manual mode. Historically that's the only way I've been able to use Sport+, so it'll be nice to have the option of leaving it in Auto mode.

If it's merely changing the shift point, why the ECU?
Good question, no telling.

Regardless, based on the language in their recall notices, Porsche is 100% committed to the stance that the performance of the car will not be materially impaired. So if you discover differently, you'll have them over a barrel, which can be fun in itself.
Chuck245 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
Chuck245 (12-24-2021), visitador (12-24-2021)
Old 02-06-2022, 02:01 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

The stop sale letter stated that cars in CA might not be allowed to have the car registration renewed without this "fix." Pleased to report that I renewed it yesterday, no problem. No "fix."
The following 3 users liked this post by Cuda911:
Fullyield (02-06-2022), MesaSB (02-06-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?