Sponsored by:

Refinished Porsche Badge From "interestedparty" On eBay

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Refinished Porsche Badge From "interestedparty" On eBay

So I got the badge from this seller due to some positive feedback on this forum. I go to install it, pegs are way off and the badge would not sit properly. That was delivered end of May. Seller offered the VHB Tape - I really did NOT want to take that route at the time.

I had to email sellers 3 times before getting a response, finally telling me to send the badge back. Was partially refunded a small amount for my troubles.

Radio silence...

about 14 days go by, and I finally heard back - seller stated he thought one of his employees was sending out the badge, they did not so they sent me a new one.

Again posts that go into the hood and secured by the nuts are in the wrong spots. I am furious.

I posted on the 991 Enthusiasts group on FB, and a few members are convinced its a fake badge.

Do the posts on a OEM badge need to be removed and rewelded during the refinishing process? Now Im starting to think it is NOT a genuine badge, even though it really appears to look like one, and the sellers states its genuine.

My problem? Being lied too. I will return it if so - only one solution left is to use 3M VHB tape.

I also want this thread to serve as a warning about dealing with this seller assuming it is incorrect listed as genuine.

The badge looks awesome and I would like to use it - so lets hear your thoughts !

I am not bad mouthing unless you guys tell me something isn't right here. Seller has responded and willing to send tape !

Link to purchase:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20299502214...m=202995022149

Pics of 2nd badge:

Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Doesn’t look original to me...but I am no expert on badges.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:49 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Looks very different. BAck and front. Looks great though. I just wouldn’t want to tape a badge on.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:56 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ991
Looks very different. BAck and front. Looks great though. I just wouldn’t want to tape a badge on.
Based on part number this one sent to me is 94-08 - it is Slightly different.

Sellers response about posts:

I can assure you that it is a genuine badge and any misalignment of the posts is my fault as I replace the factory mounting studs on all used badges we recondition with new, slightly larger, solid brass posts. The studs or posts are a notoriously weak point on the crest after it's been installed and subsequently removed. The only time we don't replace the mounting studs is when we've received a "never installed" piece in a core exchange or the purchase of a large number of NOS pieces.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 544 Posts

I would do my best to make a template showing where your factory posts live relative to the badge. They should know exactly where the posts should be though. I would not be happy with the location of the badge within the depression in the hood. It should be damn near perfect.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Many of us here with custom crests have used a piece of 3M tape on the back, in conjunction with the posts and nuts, and 3M tape alone will hold it in place all by itself. Here is an old thread for your reading, and viewing, pleasure: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9086...placement.html

There are several more and if you search on "custom crest" you can read them. I used 3M tape on mine as well as the posts and original nuts with the rubber sealing washers:

The following users liked this post:
LWG (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jack F
I would do my best to make a template showing where your factory posts live relative to the badge. They should know exactly where the posts should be though. I would not be happy with the location of the badge within the depression in the hood. It should be damn near perfect.
I do not plan to install it off like that - its not proper at all. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2020, 10:14 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Your badge is aftermarket and thats why it doesnt fit. has nothing to do with re welding any tabs, thats BS. Yes, the tabs are beefier, but thats because the Chinese factory that made it made them beefier.
The easiest tell is the art on the badge itself. If you look at the "leaves", the fake has all XL ends. The original has them gradating in size from small to large. The fake badge has them all way too large and even the remaining leaves on the branch are wrong size and shape. The badge isnt genuine, which is why you are having problems.

The following 3 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
Catharpin (06-30-2020), Rich_Jenkins (06-19-2020), XLR82XS (03-03-2021)
Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Your badge is aftermarket and thats why it doesnt fit. has nothing to do with re welding any tabs, thats BS. Yes, the tabs are beefier, but thats because the Chinese factory that made it made them beefier.
The easiest tell is the art on the badge itself. If you look at the "leaves", the fake has all XL ends. The original has them gradating in size from small to large. The fake badge has them all way too large and even the remaining leaves on the branch are wrong size and shape. The badge isnt genuine, which is why you are having problems.

To be fair the part numbers are different so they wont look the same since small changes were made over the years.

The seller used to be a forum sponsor here it seems years ago. Seems like a nice guy. Jim from Carrera East Studios.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

It appears you are correct. It is a different part number, hence the difference in artwork. I also had Jim do my Badge and it seems it is exactly like your "bad" badge.
He is using service parts to make his custom badges and they appear to have different part numbers. I took a picture of the one Jim made for me and its the same as the one he made you and the same as Bob Z's...

Old 06-19-2020, 10:29 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

It appears you are correct. It is a different part number, hence the difference in artwork. I also had Jim do my Badge and it seems it is exactly like your "bad" badge.
He is using service parts to make his custom badges and they appear to have different part numbers. I took a picture of the one Jim made for me and its the same as the one he made you and the same as Bob Z's...

Did you mount with tape? Looks nice!
Old 06-19-2020, 10:30 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

No tape. My badge went on the way it came off and I used the old nuts to secure it in place.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:34 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

No tape. My badge went on the way it came off and I used the old nuts to secure it in place.
Thats how I wanted it. I dont get it ! Glad yours worked out. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:36 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Jim has made me 7 for my car and they are all perfect (frunk, wheels, steering wheel and an extra I put on the rear) and all are perfect. The extra was intended to go on the steering wheel but it was a little larger for my likes (same as the wheel center caps) so after some research I discovered the one used on the 356 would be better as it is a little smaller. Jim told me he could make it but it had to be an original and he said he will only refinish the 356 crests with a AR (Alois Rettenmaier) hallmark on the backside since the process he uses could ruin the cheap knockoffs (see below). I wound up buying a new OEM one and again, they are all perfect.

paddlefoot64 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

If your first picture is the badge in question, that's because that badge was only used on 993, 996, and 997.1.
paddlefoot64 (06-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Refinished Porsche Badge From "interestedparty" On eBay