Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Purist vs Modder
Purist: Why would I mess with perfection!
31.11%
Modder: Small visual mods but I would never go mechanical!
27.78%
Modder+: Make it louder, faster, and personalized!
41.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

992 Purist vs Modder

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
speed_obsessed
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 992 Purist vs Modder

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been done before (I looked and didn't see one.), but I was curious. With Porsche (minus the GT3RS) being less of a hype brand compared to your Lamborghini and Ferrari of the world, what percentage of today's buyers/owners believe in or have modded their 992 to some degree or another? Beyond the poll, I would be curious to know your age, 992 trim, and if you have modded your 992, what have you done or plan to do. It will be interesting to see if a specific trim tends to be more heavily modded than others.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
BSheppard
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I’m 46. On my 5th 911(996.2, 997.1, 991.1, 991.2, 992.1). All of them have been modified in some way but nothing over the top. Ashtray replaced with cup holder, cat back exhaust, window tint, etc.

Having said that I only have two at the moment and one of them only has window tint. I ordered it new and just picked it up a couple of months ago. It’s a 2024 T. I’m thinking Soul exhaust at some point but am waiting until I can hear it in person.

My other 911 (991.2 GT3) I have had for a few years and it also has 20% tint and soul’s competition exhaust.

edited to add- I tend to not buy a 911 until I can get what I want. So both of mine came pretty much just like I wanted. The spec is just so personal and important in these cars. Both of these are street cars. I do track days but on two wheels. So these are set up for mountain trips and daily duty as much as possible. Both cars are manual with 18 way sofas and lots of lux options. I mention this before I think some folks tend to modify more when the car is not quite set up for the mission at hand.

Last edited by BSheppard; Yesterday at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
speed_obsessed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
speed_obsessed
AutoX

Yea I am 41 and for my T I just got/installed the Kies valve controller. Must say I am very satisfied with the added volume and since my T is a bridge car (although I am loving it) I had to resist buying an exhaust especially with the high probability of it throwing a code.

Last edited by speed_obsessed; Yesterday at 12:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Corsa Forged
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe I'm biased, but I believe it's a great platform to modify. It's heavily dependant on the person. But adding your own touch to differentiate from the crowd, is always a +1.

Our RS-5V's on 992 TTS lowered on springs (no longer offering hollowed spokes on this model but can be reworked)

Follow us on Instagram: @Corsawheels / Facebook @Corsa Forged
Sales: Corsaforged@gmail.com // +813.449.0349

Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Rips992
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm an old dude that mods all my cars ... why would I not do it to my Turbo S? Anyone one can drive a stock car ... I want to make it my own ... one of a kind! You can see in my signature my latest build. Enjoy!

The following 7 users liked this post by Rips992:
AlterZgo (Yesterday), Haros (Today), loxxrider (Today), Newusername (Today), Old Ranger (Yesterday), speed_obsessed (Yesterday), Wilder (Yesterday) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

No right or wrong answer here.

But for me modding a car (any car) whether it’s cosmetics or something more substantial like exhaust, drivetrain or ECU, always feels like bringing your own bottle of ketchup to Peter Lugers.

If I can’t or don’t want to enjoy the steak the way it was meant to be enjoyed I shouldn’t really be patronizing the restaurant.

Buy the car you love and love the car you buy. Don’t buy the car hoping you’ll love it.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
alex2364 (Yesterday), detansinn (Yesterday), speed_obsessed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Always 100% untouched, and right or wrong, I never give a 2nd look to a modded car for fear it has been ridden hard and hung up wet to dry, i.e. how hard must someone be driving to want more than Porsche delivers out of the box.
Fishah (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 395 Posts

U could argue every 911 custom ordered is modded in some shape or form at the factory since no two 911’s are identical.
My current 911 was ordered with the factory aero kit other owners added it later is that defined as “modded” ?

I typically do “modify” the cars I purchase to a lesser or greater extent - I’m 72 🤣🤣🤣
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
speed_obsessed
AutoX

I bet she rips! It feels like you don’t see many Ruby Star cars let alone a Turbo S out there for whatever reason.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,031 Posts

45 and I’ve modded every single car I’ve owned in my entire life. The 992 C2S I currently own is no different! I like personalization, be it my cars or my bikes.

Last edited by M3Inline6; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
AlterZgo (Yesterday), Old Ranger (Yesterday), Ray K. (Today), SA_992SMT (Yesterday), speed_obsessed (Yesterday), Wilder (Today) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No right or wrong answer here.

But for me modding a car (any car) whether it’s cosmetics or something more substantial like exhaust, drivetrain or ECU, always feels like bringing your own bottle of ketchup to Peter Lugers.

If I can’t or don’t want to enjoy the steak the way it was meant to be enjoyed I shouldn’t really be patronizing the restaurant.

Buy the car you love and love the car you buy. Don’t buy the car hoping you’ll love it.
what if the government started to mandate they couldn’t use salt? Would you take it home and sprinkle some on? No car, even good ones are exactly like engineers envision, there are so many factors..regulation, the model lineup, competitive forces etc. the 911 is good, but it can be better.
M3Inline6 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
what if the government started to mandate they couldn’t use salt? Would you take it home and sprinkle some on? No car, even good ones are exactly like engineers envision, there are so many factors..regulation, the model lineup, competitive forces etc. the 911 is good, but it can be better.
Good and better are subjective.

I never said anything about a 911 being good or gooder either stock or modded.

My point was that if you don’t love the car as-is, you really have to think about why you’re buying it in the first instance.

If the 911 as-is isn’t to your liking, which is completely fine, perhaps the problem isn’t with the car, and it’s with “you” — as in, you are looking at the wrong car for you. Perhaps the 911 isn’t what you really want, but what you are hoping you will want.

If I find the woman I love, I’m not going to marry her and then tell her to get liposuction and a breast job on our honeymoon.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
C21ban
Racer

Received 305 Likes on 140 Posts

My point was that if you don’t love the car as-is, you really have to think about why you’re buying it in the first instance.

If the 911 as-is isn’t to your liking, which is completely fine, perhaps the problem isn’t with the car, and it’s with “you” — as in, you are looking at the wrong car for you. Perhaps the 911 isn’t what you really want, but what you are hoping you will want.

If I find the woman I love, I’m not going to marry her and then tell her to get liposuction and a breast job on our honeymoon.
Majority of women mod themselves so you probably don’t have to ask. Whether hairstyle, make-up, or other basic cosmetic details, most change what comes from the “factory”😉

Does not mean we aren’t happy as they are but but I have no complaints when they do basic “mods” if that makes them happy. Same with cars- if it makes someone happy. Who am I to question it.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I think your logic is flawed in this instance. We can completely love the car and still desire to personalize it. Are you telling me/us that you’ve done nothing, at all, to your house(s), for example, at any point in your lifetime? Surely you can absolutely love a home and make changes/upgrades to it. I highly doubt your home is EXACTLY as it was the day you purchased it. We all mod something. The application is the same.

Last edited by M3Inline6; Yesterday at 08:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
CornerOffice (Yesterday), r4mi5awi (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:16 AM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 241 Likes on 96 Posts

I have nothing against modded cars or people who like to modify their cars, i’m just not that guy.
I don’t do tattoos either.

Changing something because you want to look different from others and set yourself apart has more to do with you
than any inherent deficiency in your car.

By driving a Porsche you have already done so to an extent thats acceptable imho.
If I had to choose a company to modify my Porsche it would always be RUF over Singer.
Much more tasteful in most cases.

And don’t get me started about RWB

Last edited by B194HR; Today at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 Purist vs Modder