Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinished Porsche Badge From "interestedparty" On eBay

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 05:29 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 765 Posts

I have used badges from Jim at Carrera East at least 3 times with no fit issues. I use new backside nuts for each new badge.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2020, 06:31 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I had similar fitment issue w/ the posts

not lining up w/ the rubber gasket. As I understand it, the 991 uses a different crest than was used before. It is not exactly the same dimensions as those older crests that Jim paints. (He told me the new crests can't be painted like the old ones.)

Very easy to Dremel off the posts and use 3M tape. Looks perfect, and it isn't going anywhere. Don't fret the small stuff.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Matrog
not lining up w/ the rubber gasket. As I understand it, the 991 uses a different crest than was used before. It is not exactly the same dimensions as those older crests that Jim paints. (He told me the new crests can't be painted like the old ones.)

Very easy to Dremel off the posts and use 3M tape. Looks perfect, and it isn't going anywhere. Don't fret the small stuff.
For sure...it will still look nice and 3M tape is so thin you will not be able to tell, and Jim recommends using tape even if the posts line up. Funny though since my posts lined up perfectly and I have a 991.2 and the crest is the correct size.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Perhaps there are a few sizes out there

and some will fit while others won't. All I know for sure is I love my custom crest! Jim does nice work.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Matrog
and some will fit while others won't. All I know for sure is I love my custom crest! Jim does nice work.
Absolutely...works of art IMO. I was at the Porsche dealer last weekend and while inside I saw several people taking pics of the crests on my car.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:12 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 100 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1118...d-crest-9.html

Post 124. Mine looked and fit like $&!#. Emailed him twice, never received a response. My Porschefile neighbor also swears its not an original.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:22 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

I am so sick and tired of Chinese fakes being pushed by mostly Chinese crooked sellers... someone needs to police this crap if our own governments can't protect us from it, maybe eBay and Amazon should step up their game.
chris walrod (01-19-2021)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:30 AM
BA73
Racer

There are many examples of this guy's stunning work, can't deny that, but there are also examples that are sub par. Seems the sub par pieces get thrown up on ebay where its easier to dodge unsatisfied customers. Lesson learned.
Roswell88 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 01:23 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
There are many examples of this guy's stunning work, can't deny that, but there are also examples that are sub par. Seems the sub par pieces get thrown up on ebay where its easier to dodge unsatisfied customers. Lesson learned.
I agree with you. Lots of examples of perfect work but some are sub par.

I received a nice hood crest & luckily the pins aligned perfectly.

On the other hand , I received a poorly executed air bag crest. I had to have it fixed locally at my own expense cuz Jim was not helpful.

I moved on from it, I decided to install it in my frunk so I don’t have to stare at the imperfections every time I’m driving lol
Old 06-20-2020, 06:45 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 237 Posts

The hit or miss experiences with Jim bug me, but he is sending me tape and I will attach it like that. It is what it is - I will forget about all of this once that crest is mounted and should be very satisfied. Thanks for chiming in. It is a shame the consistency in product and customer service is not there.

Last edited by LWG; 06-20-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Roswell88 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:19 PM
xford
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My take on Jim is that his "business" is really more of a hobby that, along with his daughter (at least at the time because it was a while ago), they do on the side. I also think he can be disingenuous at times possibly due to disorganization. The product for the most part is excellent but customer service is lacking at best. My experience in ordering a custom crest and other pieces (all pre-paid) was that many e-mails were not responded to at all, or when they were, there were significant delays. After receiving the hood crest in a few months of the initial order the communication basically stopped and when he did reply there were numerous excuses - too busy, out of town, etc. The final straw after 8 months of waiting was when I saw people on forums that had ordered after me receiving their finished products. His story was the smaller pieces are done "in batches" causing the issue which I believe to be partially untrue since others had received small pieces within a shorter time window. At that point I asked for my money back which was promptly returned. All that said I'm very happy with my white and espresso custom crest and there were no fitment issues.

LWG (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 05:35 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by xford
My take on Jim is that his "business" is really more of a hobby that, along with his daughter (at least at the time because it was a while ago), they do on the side. I also think he can be disingenuous at times possibly due to disorganization. The product for the most part is excellent but customer service is lacking at best. My experience in ordering a custom crest and other pieces (all pre-paid) was that many e-mails were not responded to at all, or when they were, there were significant delays. After receiving the hood crest in a few months of the initial order the communication basically stopped and when he did reply there were numerous excuses - too busy, out of town, etc. The final straw after 8 months of waiting was when I saw people on forums that had ordered after me receiving their finished products. His story was the smaller pieces are done "in batches" causing the issue which I believe to be partially untrue since others had received small pieces within a shorter time window. At that point I asked for my money back which was promptly returned. All that said I'm very happy with my white and espresso custom crest and there were no fitment issues.

Thanks for sharing - that is a nice crest!
Old 06-20-2020, 08:42 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xford

I can feel your pain cuz I went through the same ordeal. Almost no communications while waiting for my crest to be done & shipped (took 5 months).

Then my airbag crest got delayed , then when I finally received it, it looked like it was painted with a sharpie, we could see the red under the black paint. lol

And of course , when I got upset for not getting after sale support , he emailed me his rant which I prefer not to disclose here but Bob Z saw the email & agreed it was not professional to treat a paying customers who waited this long for a product.

Moral of the story, for those who got a good product & didn’t need service after sale life is good. For those who needed assistance, they are left with a bitter taste.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:11 PM
BA73
Racer

Yup. These stories are unfortunate. I emailed him directly for over 6 mos inquiring about a custom crest. I sent color codes and photoshopped photos, etc, never heard back. After 6+ mos, I posted asking for guidance from the folks who have these beautiful crests, and another member sent me a link to his ebay store which had a crest that was an 85% match to what I wanted, so I bought it. After receiving the crest I wrote, what I thought was a very eloquent email, praising his work and the glowing reviews in the rennlist community, and explained why I was unhappy with the product after seeing such quality work. I offered to return the crest, also to send him my OEM crest if he needed more original crests, and even pay him more money to refinish either the crest he sent me or my oem crest to my design. Sent this email to both his personal and ebay emails. Followed up for a couple months, not a single response.

You can go to the link a few pages up and see my photos. Beyond that, the pegs were off, too fat, spaced incorrectly, crooked, and the curve of the crest was too sharp. I had to take a dremel to the pegs and a torch to the back of the crest and work it with a hammer to flatten it. Polished the grooves out as best I could on the front, a trip to the craft store for some paint and fine brushes, after a few hours of work I did end up with an acceptable enough product to put on my car....but holy crap man, email a brother back, especially when we are standing here like:

I do apologize for not being more vocal when I experienced this a year ago - maybe I could have saved some folks some heart burn, but I didn't want to bash a person/company who had so many glowing reviews, figured I was the one off.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:28 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

^ LOL @ the shut up & take my money meme

Yes same here, I didn’t want a refund , I just wanted him to refinish it the way he did for my hood crest so I could have 2 matching crests. But it was important for me to have it done promptly & not have to wait another month or two cuz my build was being completed.

I still post pics of my hood crest online & refer them to Jim when ppl asked me where I got it from. I give credits where it belongs but I do warn people about being patient, expect delays & request/ insist for pictures before shipping. I did requested pics many times , but he ignored my request , this could have saved me this drama.

Quick Reply: Refinished Porsche Badge From "interestedparty" On eBay