Worlds First Supercharged 991.1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Uscnc2005
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OBD question

Hey Fellas,

I have read this whole thread and the set up seems very impressive. As a resident here in So Cal, pretty much the state likes to restrict every piece of aftermarket equipment ( even air filters) if they are not CARB certified. They want their money. That being said, assuming I keep my stock headers and/or Aftermarket headers with Cats, I would assume the OBD when smoggin ( assuming no sniffer test) wont trip anything out of the ordinary that would trigger a fail? great thing about the 911 is it hides after market products well especially to those smog guys that either dont look under the skirt or know any better. I dont think most guys look under the skirt only if you consistently fail and get sent to a check point for inspection. I am a risk tacker for sure but want to get some thoughts from the group on what I may or may nor expect from the OBD read out. I have a 15' GTS so I know this system would put me another tier up. Save me some money to trade up. Let me know your thoughts guys. Thx!

Tim

Last edited by Uscnc2005; 07-16-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 07-16-2020, 07:12 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

hmmmmm. one day when I'm finally out of California, I'd get this.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:31 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

Update 7/29:

So last week we spent 2 days track testing at Watkins Glen. Here’s a quick video of the flybys, we will try to post some on-car footage soon.

Main focus of our track testing was our new external oil cooler which we are releasing soon. New cooler reduced oil temps by 30-40F, so we are putting it into production and releasing soon!

Rafi

Online Store: www.RR-Racing.com
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following users liked this post:
jwr9152 (07-30-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:46 AM
random911
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

@Tempus fugit how does it feel two months later? Still a blast? Any noticeable wear on the chassis / engine? Curious to know if you take it for inspection soon what the wear looks like. Super tempted to have this done on mine.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Tempus fugit
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by random911
@Tempus fugit how does it feel two months later? Still a blast? Any noticeable wear on the chassis / engine? Curious to know if you take it for inspection soon what the wear looks like. Super tempted to have this done on mine.
Car still drives great and, yes, still puts a smile on my face every drive. There's been no discernable wear on chassis/drivetrain that I've seen or that my mechanic has noticed. I've only put about 5K miles on it since the the upgrade so probably to soon to tell about long-term durability. I've done some hard driving on it, particularly during a Rennsport Dragon Rally but no track time as of yet. My biggest worry was the PDK, especially the clutch, but I've seen no change in shifting since R&R installed the supercharger. I've had no codes since replacing the Soul Sport headers with their long tube headers shortly after the SC installation. (I also have their switchable exhaust for noise control when needed).
I also would say the Bilstein B16 coilovers have also made the car more fun to drive. Much more sure-footed on the bumps and corners.
I would encourage you to call Rafi at R&R to discuss what to expect and any concerns you may have. As you probably already know, he's got a lot more miles on his supercharged 991.1 and a good amount of track time, as well. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tempus fugit:
RRRacing (10-19-2020), Soul Performance (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

What’s the Torque limits on the PDK clutch packs?
Old 09-09-2020, 08:21 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Asking for a friend who wishes to be inconspicuous. When it is all put together, do the dual cooling fans and cover that normally prevent eyes from even so much as gleaming a hose in the engine bay, shield the entire S/C in similar fashion? Put simply, is this nicely hidden if one desires?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:22 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
What’s the Torque limits on the PDK clutch packs?
I think the majority of the PDK trans has to do with tuning. APR seems to have a great tune for the trans.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:54 AM
random911
Intermediate

Car still drives great and, yes, still puts a smile on my face every drive. There's been no discernable wear on chassis/drivetrain that I've seen or that my mechanic has noticed. I've only put about 5K miles on it since the the upgrade so probably to soon to tell about long-term durability. I've done some hard driving on it, particularly during a Rennsport Dragon Rally but no track time as of yet. My biggest worry was the PDK, especially the clutch, but I've seen no change in shifting since R&R installed the supercharger. I've had no codes since replacing the Soul Sport headers with their long tube headers shortly after the SC installation. (I also have their switchable exhaust for noise control when needed).
That's nice to hear. 5K miles in two months! lol! That sounds like fun.

I also would say the Bilstein B16 coilovers have also made the car more fun to drive. Much more sure-footed on the bumps and corners.
Was wondering about that. So much new horse power, the suspension had to get upgraded. The C2S is definitely skittish on corners - and I like that, it's fun, actually. Keep posting updates especially after a track session - can't wait to hear that feedback.

I would encourage you to call Rafi at R&R to discuss what to expect and any concerns you may have. As you probably already know, he's got a lot more miles on his supercharged 991.1 and a good amount of track time, as well. Good luck!
Yeah, on my list. But wanted to hear some feedback first. Curious about @RRRacing progress on the oil cooler.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:58 AM
random911
Intermediate

Note to self..... got to call RRRacing tomorrow, don't forget
RRRacing (10-19-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Tempus fugit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimwood
Asking for a friend who wishes to be inconspicuous. When it is all put together, do the dual cooling fans and cover that normally prevent eyes from even so much as gleaming a hose in the engine bay, shield the entire S/C in similar fashion? Put simply, is this nicely hidden if one desires?
The R&R supercharger is completely hidden by the engine cover and cooling fans. However, note that the stock center wire mesh grill on the air intake is removed since the entire air intake is replaced with a K&W conical air filter. I'm still searching for a good way to reinstall the wire mesh grill but haven't come up with anything yet. Note that the wire mesh grill is an insert into a rubber gasket attached to the air intake and not the engine cover. I'm afraid that if I just simply insert the mesh and gasket in the engine cover that it could vibrate loose and fall into the belts and pulleys on the engine.
As far as any engine mods being visible, if you leaned directly over the engine cover you could see that the engine was no longer stock. If you just raise the engine hood you'd just see that the air intake mesh grill was gone. Note that this supercharger includes a front center radiator for the intercooler so the plastic insert on the front bumper is removed. I believe R&R uses a Porsche OEM center radiator kit so the front end looks like you selected the Porsche third radiator kit in your build.
My car looks entirely stock (w/third radiator) with the frunk and hood closed. In the frunk there is a a methanol tank (approx 1 gal) and pump that are clearly visible with the frunk lid open, an a nice looking aluminum cap for the intercooler reservoir is also visible. All other added hardware added up front is covered by the trim piece behind the frunk.
Just looking at the car with all lids closed you couldn't tell the car's been modified. That said, when the motor is running there are tell tale supercharger noises. These noises don't distract from the great sound of the car in my opinion, and are generally only noticeable at low rpms.
I will try to post some pictures in the next couple of days to help give you a better idea of what it looks like.
Texas Porsche (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:53 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 121 Posts

Please post pics when you can. Would this set up be compatible with the fabspeed intake I have now?
Old 09-10-2020, 01:35 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempus fugit
The R&R supercharger is completely hidden by the engine cover and cooling fans. However, note that the stock center wire mesh grill on the air intake is removed since the entire air intake is replaced with a K&W conical air filter. I'm still searching for a good way to reinstall the wire mesh grill but haven't come up with anything yet. Note that the wire mesh grill is an insert into a rubber gasket attached to the air intake and not the engine cover. I'm afraid that if I just simply insert the mesh and gasket in the engine cover that it could vibrate loose and fall into the belts and pulleys on the engine.
As far as any engine mods being visible, if you leaned directly over the engine cover you could see that the engine was no longer stock. If you just raise the engine hood you'd just see that the air intake mesh grill was gone. Note that this supercharger includes a front center radiator for the intercooler so the plastic insert on the front bumper is removed. I believe R&R uses a Porsche OEM center radiator kit so the front end looks like you selected the Porsche third radiator kit in your build.
My car looks entirely stock (w/third radiator) with the frunk and hood closed. In the frunk there is a a methanol tank (approx 1 gal) and pump that are clearly visible with the frunk lid open, an a nice looking aluminum cap for the intercooler reservoir is also visible. All other added hardware added up front is covered by the trim piece behind the frunk.
Just looking at the car with all lids closed you couldn't tell the car's been modified. That said, when the motor is running there are tell tale supercharger noises. These noises don't distract from the great sound of the car in my opinion, and are generally only noticeable at low rpms.
I will try to post some pictures in the next couple of days to help give you a better idea of what it looks like.
Awesome info, thanks!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Tempus fugit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjongco
Please post pics when you can. Would this set up be compatible with the fabspeed intake I have now?
Attached are some pictures lifted from my rennlist albums. You can see other pictures in my photo albums, some sent to me from R&R during the supercharger install.
I neglected to mention earlier that there is a small green led mounted just above the steering wheel to provided feedback on the methanol injection system. Photo is below. This is entirely removable without damaging the car. I believe R&R will also very discretely mount the led in the instrument cluster should you prefer.

AdamSanta85 (09-11-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:46 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

Sneak peak of our latest project - stay tuned for more content from Watkins Glen

The following 5 users liked this post by RRRacing:
fester (10-20-2020), oosoos (08-12-2023), razarch991 (04-20-2022), Schn3ll (10-19-2020), tourenwagen (12-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Worlds First Supercharged 991.1!!!