Sponsored by:

Porsche Huntington damaged my car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I dont think they are doing the absolute minimum at all.
They have accepted responsibility and are willing to pay to have it repaired. Do you expect them to give him a new car?
Ever park in a NYC garage and have them fight you to the very end that the damage on your car was there when you brought it in? Thats a scumbag and thats what they are told to do.

The issue here is that the OP wants it painted at HIS shop and the Dealer clearly has the right to have it done at their shop provided its Porsche approved.
We can all agree and accept that the Dealer will certainly get it done for much less than the OP can and if they can save $$ it shouldn't be looked upon as lower quality or cheap.

I think if this went to court that the Judge would reimburse the OP 70% of his bill because its not really fair to force the Dealer to pay more to do the same work.

Thats my thoughts on it..
It is the absolute minimum- what less could the dealer do that would be acceptable?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Adam: If you dont accept you will have to sue and go to the court house 1 hour and 15 minutes from you perhaps more than once.
If you do accept the work from the Dealer, you will have the same 1 hour and 15 minute trip but only once (hopefully)

I am not suggesting you bring your car there and leave it, I am suggesting they buy a new bumper and have it painted so when you arrive its just a "quick" swap.

I do not think the dealer is going to agree to let you repair it AND pay full rack rate to reimburse you when they probably have a deal where they pay far less for their local shop to do it.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Adam: If you dont accept you will have to sue and go to the court house 1 hour and 15 minutes from you perhaps more than once.
If you do accept the work from the Dealer, you will have the same 1 hour and 15 minute trip but only once (hopefully)
The dealer is 25 min from my house in Suffolk county. The body shop they want to use to fix it is an 1 hour and 15 minutes away in Westchester county. They don't have a local shop.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

ADAM: THE DEALER ORDERS A NEW BUMPER AND THEY GET IT PAINTED WHEREVER THEY WANT. LETS SAY THE HAVE IT PAINTED IN ALASKA.
THE FRESHLY PAINTED BUMPER COMES BACK TO THE DEALER AND YOU GO TO THE DEALER TO PERFORM THE SWAP.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE HOW FAR THE BODY SHOP IS FROM YOU OR THEM? YOU ARENT PHYSICALLY GOING TO THE BODY SHOP.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 11:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I just want my car fixed at a good local body shop. I understand **** happens, it just a plastic bumper, just make it right. I don't want my car fixed as cheap as possible. I want it fixed right. It is my car.
I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction! Sorry that this happened.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:36 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Totally get where the OP is coming from. Once something happens, you are always worried what else could happen when you leave it back at the dealer. Getting the car from dealer -> body shop could also mean potential accidents (like mentioned before, my dealer got my macan into a car accident during a test drive to verify the repair was done correctly. It was 100% the other person's fault but still).

I dropped my car off at the dealer last Monday, I still have not gotten it back. It took them two days to send it to the bodyshop that they picked, and while the car was returned yesterday, today as i was on my way to pick up the car, the dealer mentioned there's an engine control fault... Now most likely this is JUST some cooling lines the bodyshop might have misconnected or whatever. And hopefully this won't turn into more of a nightmare than it already is. But again, totally proves the OP has every right be worried cuz this **** is literally going down for me as we speak. Also why i originally tried to NOT have the bumper to be removed and and repainted, i KNEW some sh*t like this might happen. But turns out there's also a dent, which means the whole front bumper have to be taken off and repaired.

PTS while your suggestion is good, i doubt the dealer is willing to buy a whole new OEM part and pay for it to be painted.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,531 Posts

It never fails to amaze me how many high-end dealerships still act in ways that will have significant negative consequences for them in today's "instant information" age.

Just with 80 posts so far, the dealership has probably lost more revenue and profit than the difference of just letting you fix it right vs. their bull**** alternative.

But I see it all the time... Don't owners (or shareholders) care when knucklehead "managers" at their dealerships cause their reputations to be trashed?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I'm not impressed that the dealer appeared on the forum only to belittle the OP's position and try to make them look justified. Would have been a better move for him to show up here and tell the forum how he wants to work with the OP to find a solution.
It's a bumper. These cars cost well over $100k with as we all know great profits for both Porsche and the dealers. The real money is made in the dealer shops and with repeat customers. Don't think they will be seeing the OP for his next 911.
I have a great dealer. They do a full court press walk around at the entry and exit of the shop. If there are any issues they are a stand up team. Starts with the owner and what they value as customer service. Fighting with a customer over $500 is not the best business practice when you make that back in multiples in the service shop and repeat sales.
Not too hard to troll a forum it's harder to do the right thing most times.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:01 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

No matter how you shake this. $350 to paint a bumper is a BS number.

This guy had his car hurt at your dealer and was inconvenienced. If it were my car I would not allow the dealer to fix. Sorry.

Pay the man and move on. I had similar damage on two different bumpers. Both were over 1k to fix.

Originally Posted by Eurolicious
Hi,

Its easy to hurtle insults at the “Big Bad Dealer” when you assume they dont read the forums.....

As I said on the phone to you:

1) We will take your word about the damage tou reported after you left our facility.
2) We will pick Your car up at your house.
3) We will repair your bumper for free at our Porsche Approved Collision Center.

We will not pay a heavily padded estimate from a non Porsche approved shop which includes 4 hours of programming to paint a bumper?????

I have been with Porsche for 10 years and always do the right thing......

Thanks,
Sean
Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Part of my problem with Porsche dealers is that they are not built or structured to cater to their clients. They are an SUV and sedan service dept that also fixes sports cars.

A few years ago I spent the weekend detailing my 981. It was a jewel. I brought it to the dealer for an oil change. Asked that it not be washed by them.

When I picked it up two days later turns out they left it parked outside baking in the sun. It rained. Car was filthy. A bird crapped on the roof. (I had to paint correct roof). Grease all over gray interior. Dealers answer was “you told us not to wash it”.

Now... any car I bring to any dealer. It goes in clean. I photograph it all around it in the presence of the advisor. I want plastic on the interior before it is taken from my possession. For the Porsche. I expect it stored inside. If it is raining, don’t drive the car.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

Haha wow I can not believe someone from the dealership made an account just to post some smug backhanded response.. keep it classy Porsche huntington
Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurolicious
Hi,

Its easy to hurtle insults at the “Big Bad Dealer” when you assume they dont read the forums.....

As I said on the phone to you:

1) We will take your word about the damage tou reported after you left our facility.
2) We will pick Your car up at your house.
3) We will repair your bumper for free at our Porsche Approved Collision Center.

We will not pay a heavily padded estimate from a non Porsche approved shop which includes 4 hours of programming to paint a bumper?????

I have been with Porsche for 10 years and always do the right thing......

Thanks,
Sean
The first rule of corporate forum viewing is never defend yourself online, which is also referred to as, never go full retard. Not a good look for the dealership. No matter how justified you think your position is. This is a tough issue because dealerships are legitimately clueless about car enthusiasm and dealing with more detailed oriented customers in the best of circumstances, and negligent and dishonest in the the worse of circumstances, such as this. They also generally deal with large volume and little space. Layering on that, many customers are pampered with a twinge of OCD, which sometimes creates unrealistic expectations (to note, not in this case of damage).

Responding to ClassJ, bringing your freshly detailed car to the dealership at all is where it went wrong. Porsche as a company and dealership network likely doesn't see your cayman any different than the SUV's you mention. If you want OCD motorsports level of care, you need to go to a tuner or independent OCD Porsche shop, which will define things in the same way, how to treat a car, how and where to park a car, etc. It's foolish to use a local dealership (warranty regardless) and expect a level of care similar to how an owner sees a service experience. You're on two islands. Avoid dealerships whenever possible.

Last edited by Ceepe; 09-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I'm not impressed that the dealer appeared on the forum only to belittle the OP's position and try to make them look justified. Would have been a better move for him to show up here and tell the forum how he wants to work with the OP to find a solution.
It's a bumper. These cars cost well over $100k with as we all know great profits for both Porsche and the dealers. The real money is made in the dealer shops and with repeat customers. Don't think they will be seeing the OP for his next 911.
I have a great dealer. They do a full court press walk around at the entry and exit of the shop. If there are any issues they are a stand up team. Starts with the owner and what they value as customer service. Fighting with a customer over $500 is not the best business practice when you make that back in multiples in the service shop and repeat sales.
Not too hard to troll a forum it's harder to do the right thing most times.
Exactly.

Mistakes happen but the dealer seems to have forgotten that the customer didn't do anything wrong here. They brought their car in for service and the DEALERSHIP damaged it. If he wants it fixed at another shop, work with him. You have already greatly inconvenienced him.

I had a vehicle serviced and picked it up from a dealer (another brand) and they had forgot to put on 4 of five lug nuts and the 5th was barely on. I started driving and it and it began shaking terribly. I pulled over and saw that the wheel had almost come off! I called the service manager (I was REALLY upset - I was only a few minutes away from getting on a 55 mph highway with the possibility of a wheel coming off!) and within five minutes two of his mechanics pulled up behind me in an SUV and immediately began working on the car. Right behind them was the service manager in a new mid-level sedan. He apologized, gave me the keys to the sedan, said keep it until we get your vehicle back to you. I wanted a new wheel, new lugs (you could see metal shavings in each hole), and an alignment done - they expedited getting a wheel in, did all that I had asked, and had the car back to me a few days later. They later fired the tech who forgot the lug nuts. Guess what - I still use them for service (I have been doing so for over 8 years - this was the only problem I ever had), I still recommend them to others, and I would consider buying a new vehicle from them again.

Last edited by Hurricane; 09-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hurricane:
Class5Kayaker (09-18-2019), NigelPlays (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by koven
Haha wow I can not believe someone from the dealership made an account just to post some smug backhanded response.. keep it classy Porsche huntington
I am not sure they have any idea as to how their posting came across. But wow...just wow.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Part of my problem with Porsche dealers is that they are not built or structured to cater to their clients. They are an SUV and sedan service dept that also fixes sports cars.

A few years ago I spent the weekend detailing my 981. It was a jewel. I brought it to the dealer for an oil change. Asked that it not be washed by them.

When I picked it up two days later turns out they left it parked outside baking in the sun. It rained. Car was filthy. A bird crapped on the roof. (I had to paint correct roof). Grease all over gray interior. Dealers answer was “you told us not to wash it”.

Now... any car I bring to any dealer. It goes in clean. I photograph it all around it in the presence of the advisor. I want plastic on the interior before it is taken from my possession. For the Porsche. I expect it stored inside. If it is raining, don’t drive the car.
That standard (hey, don't return me a car that has grease all over the interior) isn't just for Porsche - I would expect that from any dealer, even Chevy or Hyundai.

Quick Reply: Porsche Huntington damaged my car...