Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Huntington damaged my car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Just got off the phone with the service manager who left me a voice mail. He claimed this is the first he has heard about the situation. So either my SA made up a conversation he had with him, or this guy is lying. "Well he is a new employee"

They want me to bring my car back to dealer, remove my bumper, bring it to their body shop which is 1 hour and 20 minutes from my house, then bring bumper back and install OR he is willing to give me a check for $350 because that is all he would charge a customer to have this fixed. I asked him to provide me a written repair estimate, he is refusing. I called the body shop to ask their labor rate, they are refusing to tell me without bringing my car in for an estimate (1 hour 20 minutes each way). I asked dealer what they charge for an oil change, answer, $399. But yes, removing my bumper, bringing it 2 hours away, repairing, painting, reinstalling only cost $350. What a deal.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-18-2019 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-29-2020)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Just got off the phone with the service manager who left me a voice mail. He claimed this is the first he has heard about the situation. So either my SA made up a conversation he had with him, or this guy is lying. "Well he is a new employee"

They want me to bring my car back to dealer, remove my bumper, bring it to their body shop which is 1 hour and 20 minutes from my house, than bring bumper back and install OR he is willing to give me a check for $350 because that is all he would charge a customer to have this fixed. I asked him to provide me a written repair estimate, he is refusing. I called the body shop to ask their labor rate, they are refusing to tell me without bringing my car in for an estimate (1 hour 20 minutes each way). I asked dealer what they charge for an oil change, answer, $399. But yes, removing my bumper, bringing it 2 hours away, repairing, painting, reinstalling only cost $350. What a deal.

Yeah that is an insane story. They expect YOU to take it to THEIR body shop 1.5 HOURS away or else give you $350?? Like you said, you can't get an oil change for $350.

Got to admit, I have been taking my car there for years with no issues - but then again for minor stuff and I usually wait for the car. The one time I did leave it over night, got car back dirty, but I did tell them not to wash car. Over the years, I have seen some good people leave, but this is to be expected from any dealership. It used to be a nice easy going dealership, but it seems that they have outgrown themselves (there are cars everywhere) and they are forgetting what got them where they are. Problem is, who to go to. Gold Coast is the old Roslyn which I have heard bad tales about. Then there is South Shore, another crowded dealership - but maybe give them a try.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:35 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yeah that is an insane story. They expect YOU to take it to THEIR body shop 1.5 HOURS away or else give you $350?? Like you said, you can't get an oil change for $350.

Got to admit, I have been taking my car there for years with no issues - but then again for minor stuff and I usually wait for the car. The one time I did leave it over night, got car back dirty, but I did tell them not to wash car. Over the years, I have seen some good people leave, but this is to be expected from any dealership. It used to be a nice easy going dealership, but it seems that they have outgrown themselves (there are cars everywhere) and they are forgetting what got them where they are. Problem is, who to go to. Gold Coast is the old Roslyn which I have heard bad tales about. Then there is South Shore, another crowded dealership - but maybe give them a try.
For clarification, they want me to take my car to their dealership. Then they will either flat bed my car up to Westchester and back, or they will remove my bumper at Hungtington, take my bumper up there, fix it, bring back to Huntington and reinstall. I don't want them touching my car at all. After the Manager started lying to me on the phone that this is the first he has heard about it, I lost all faith. I had 2-3 conversations with my SA on the phone on Tuesday, which were follow ups after he spoke with the Manager. For the guy to claim he just heard about it now is complete BS.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

This sucks! Hopefully you get it straightened out and fixed properly.

My local dealer ALWAYS takes pictures of all 4 wheels and body panels when checking in for service. Always thought it was a bit overkill until I hear stories like this.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

You are being played. Don't relent at all. If they have to remove your bumper and do a proper job of prepping and refinishing it is more than $350 instead more like $700 or more. You need to find another dealer.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

If I have to take them to small claims court I will. Hoping Porsche North America can save the day here...

The Service Manager was claiming that the quote I gave them from my body shop was fluffed up to get money out of them ($1153). I than called the closest Porsche Authorized repair body shop. Waiting for the formal quote in writing but was verbally told about $1100.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:44 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

If you feel uncomfortable, then take the $350 and go elsewhere to fix it, pay the difference out of pocket and never go back to them for anything. If you have them make the repair and are dissatisfied, this will fester even further and drive you and more insane. As previously mentioned, a complete walk around before leaving the dealership would likely have turned out differently. Mistakes happen, however, the dealer could have easily have denied this, you did leave the facility w/o noticing it,
Old 09-13-2019, 02:48 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCDD
As previously mentioned, a complete walk around before leaving the dealership would likely have turned out differently,
How is that? No one is denying they didn't do it.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

You have option to put it through your insurance and let them subrogate against the dealer. You will have to wait for the insurer to collect your deductible but at least you can use your preferred shop.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim991:
AdamSanta85 (09-13-2019), maschinetheist (12-29-2020)
Old 09-13-2019, 04:35 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Unfortunately I have experienced similar problems. You have the right to request who their insurance carrier is and file a claim through them.

Or, put the claim through your policy and let them subrogate as said above.

Then you will have your insurance company telling you where to fix the car and for how much.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Mr. Superbia
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
How is that? No one is denying they didn't do it.
It's a tactic shady dealerships use. Basically they say, "If you drive away without noticing it, then it clearly did not happen at our dealership.""You must've done it yourself, and now you want to blame us, to get free repairs.."
It is actually a pretty common scheme to avoid paying damages. You got lucky that this dealership didn't deny the whole thing, and tell you to F**k off.

That being said, their terms are just as much of an insult. If you have any lawyer friends, now would be the time to bluff with a sternly worded letter.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

@AdamSanta85 - Have by any chance talked to the General Manager of the dealership? If not, I would try to set up a time to meet with him personally and share your concerns and desired path to resolve this issue to your satisfaction. I do understand the dealerships desire to use their shop (which certainly should be able to so a great job). I guess one of the concerns I would have engaging the insurance company in the repair is Carfax exposure, Having them do it though their shob internally most likely would avoid that. Something to consider.
The following users liked this post:
dak911 (12-06-2022)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:09 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 113 Posts

If same owner as in '96 he/ they are jerks. Porsche NA never hesitated to take care of me.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:10 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Superbia
It's a tactic shady dealerships use. Basically they say, "If you drive away without noticing it, then it clearly did not happen at our dealership.""You must've done it yourself, and now you want to blame us, to get free repairs.."
It is actually a pretty common scheme to avoid paying damages. You got lucky that this dealership didn't deny the whole thing, and tell you to F**k off.
Gotcha. I am trying to see if their is relevant law on the books in NY, but I did find one in Michigan that puts the onus on the shop in these cases

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gm3...me=mcl-256-541

256.541 Garage keeper; prima facie evidence of negligence.

Sec. 1.

Whenever any damage shall be done to any motor vehicle while in the possession or under the care, custody or control of the owner, his agent or servant, or the keeper of any public garage or other establishment where such vehicle shall have been accepted for hire or gain, proof of such damage shall be prima facie evidence that such damage was the result of the negligent act of such owner or keeper of the place where such vehicle was stored.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white6speed
If same owner as in '96 he/ they are jerks. Porsche NA never hesitated to take care of me.
The lady at Porsche NA is being very nice, and I can tell she is biting her lip, and siding with me. That being said we haven't gotten anywhere yet.

Quick Reply: Porsche Huntington damaged my car...