Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by K9PJ/4
A follow up to my recent post regarding availability. I received the 245 and 305 All Seasons from TR in less than 24 hours
from on line order placed. All four are 2020 year dated production. Actual width of the tread is slightly less than 245 and 305.
My debate now is whether to have them mounted, as while I am not crazy about the Pirelli they could be driven until next
winter and still have plenty of tread life. Note: The on line quantity -6- availability of the 245's did not change with my
purchase.
I'd run the Pirelli's out. That's what I'm doing - hate to waste tires, even if they're not ideal. My compromise is going to be making the switch when my rears are done, even though the fronts will still have half their tread left. I'll at least try to find another Canadian 911 owner that might want the fronts so they get some more use!
Old 04-16-2020, 04:51 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I'd run the Pirelli's out. That's what I'm doing - hate to waste tires, even if they're not ideal. My compromise is going to be making the switch when my rears are done, even though the fronts will still have half their tread left. I'll at least try to find another Canadian 911 owner that might want the fronts so they get some more use!

I'm in the same boat. My rear Pzero's are about done and the fronts are good. A full set of Bridgestones are about the same price as two rear Pirellis so I will most likely be getting the Bridgestones this summer.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Carlos Moro
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Don't drive all-seasons all year

I switched back to P-Zeros for the summer and in my opinion they drive so much better than the RE980AS in warmer temperatures. There are pros and cons: you loose steering feel with the all-seasons, but they are a little quieter. There is no question the all-seasons are much superior during the winter, but I wouldn't drive them the entire year. One of the reasons you buy a 911 is the steering feel, and the all-seasons numb it down the experience. Also, if you plan to track your car during the summer forget about the all-seasons.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:05 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Anyone figure out what to run for tire pressures on the RE980? My set just showed up at my local Costco so I'll be getting them installed either later this week or sometime next week.

I've been running 31/34 on the P-Zero's and it's worked well, so I thought maybe 1-2 psi higher than that as I assume the sidewalls on these all-season tires might not be quite as stiff.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Carlos Moro
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone figure out what to run for tire pressures on the RE980? My set just showed up at my local Costco so I'll be getting them installed either later this week or sometime next week.

I've been running 31/34 on the P-Zero's and it's worked well, so I thought maybe 1-2 psi higher than that as I assume the sidewalls on these all-season tires might not be quite as stiff.
I run them on comfort partly loaded tire pressure and it works well for me because I prefer a softer ride on the all seasons. If you prefer a sharper ride 31/34 will work but I wouldn't go much higher than that.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:26 PM
ODR247
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

30/33 works well for me. When I researched this earlier, the consensus seemed to be a lower pressure vs summers.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:16 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, glad I asked.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:57 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Just got these RE980's installed at Costco today. There is a considerable difference in road noise from my bald Pirelli's. My wife might actually tolerate this car now!

Steering feel isn't terribly far off. Definitely softer/lighter. I actually don't mind it as I found the steering feel a bit heavy for my own preferences. Braking performance is where I see a larger difference, but, I need to break these tires in before I can fully judge their braking capabilities. I'm having new rear rotors/pads installed next week, so after I bed those in properly then I'll give this a good test on some of my favourite on/off ramps.

Considering that they're half the cost of summer tires and a lot quieter, I think I made the right choice for my specific use. Where I'll really hopefully benefit is being able to extend my driving season as we get a lot of slightly below/above freezing days in Calgary throughout the winter where I could drive the car but never have due to the summer tires.

edit - one last observation - I should have went 305 width in the rear. The 295 is definitely stretched on those rear wheels. It's not a big deal, not enough to do something about it, but certainly when these wear out.

Last edited by koala; 08-20-2020 at 06:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by koala:
Carlos Moro (08-21-2020), thesaintusa (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 06:02 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

That seems very in line with what most of us have experienced. They will also last longer than summer tires
Old 08-20-2020, 06:19 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Just got these RE980's installed at Costco today. There is a considerable difference in road noise from my bald Pirelli's. My wife might actually tolerate this car now!

Steering feel isn't terribly far off. Definitely softer/lighter. I actually don't mind it as I found the steering feel a bit heavy for my own preferences. Braking performance is where I see a larger difference, but, I need to break these tires in before I can fully judge their braking capabilities. I'm having new rear rotors/pads installed next week, so after I bed those in properly then I'll give this a good test on some of my favourite on/off ramps.

Considering that they're half the cost of summer tires and a lot quieter, I think I made the right choice for my specific use. Where I'll really hopefully benefit is being able to extend my driving season as we get a lot of slightly below/above freezing days in Calgary throughout the winter where I could drive the car but never have due to the summer tires.

edit - one last observation - I should have went 305 width in the rear. The 295 is definitely stretched on those rear wheels. It's not a big deal, not enough to do something about it, but certainly when these wear out.
EDIT: What width wheel are your 295s installed on? Previous pictures of the 305 mounted looked 'stretched'.

Strongly considering these tires for the same reasons to try and extend the driving season of the car.

Last edited by thesaintusa; 08-20-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Many before have stated, 305’s on 11” or 11.5” is the way to go.

many pictures too have been provided in this thread already.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:08 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
EDIT: What width wheel are your 295s installed on? Previous pictures of the 305 mounted looked 'stretched'.

Strongly considering these tires for the same reasons to try and extend the driving season of the car.
I have the Carrera Classic wheels. Not sure how wide they are, I'm sure someone else can chime in.

No big deal, the stretch isn't that obvious. I suppose I could complain to Costco but I don't know if they'd be willing to swap them for me
Old 09-30-2020, 04:52 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tires

So at our Drive & Picnic today, I learned that Michelin has a new generation Ultra High Performance Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tire that according to the Michelin Engineers, has "90% plus" the performance of their Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Something to consider if you are looking for a year round street tire that will perform like the OEM Michelin PS4S tires on the street. Obviously not a track tire, yet they are "W" Speed rated for the Front sizes, and "Y" speed rated in the Rear. Link below.....

MICHELIN®

Pilot® Sport All Season 4

With a Longer Mileage Warranty and 25% lower cost vs. the Pilot Sport 4S tires, its something to consider if you would like to drive your 911 year round. Plus I expect the rear tires will not have the sizing issues that the Bridgestone RE980AS tires have with the 11.5" and wider rims as shown in the pictures in this thread.

It's good to have another All Season Tire Option out there to choose from.

The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Definitely getting these new tires, probably next month if they’re available.

If anyone has them already please share some feedback!

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
So at our Drive & Picnic today, I learned that Michelin has a new generation Ultra High Performance Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tire that according to the Michelin Engineers, has "90% plus" the performance of their Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Something to consider if you are looking for a year round street tire that will perform like the OEM Michelin PS4S tires on the street. Obviously not a track tire, yet they are "W" Speed rated for the Front sizes, and "Y" speed rated in the Rear. Link below.....

MICHELIN®

Pilot® Sport All Season 4

With a Longer Mileage Warranty and 25% lower cost vs. the Pilot Sport 4S tires, its something to consider if you would like to drive your 911 year round. Plus I expect the rear tires will not have the sizing issues that the Bridgestone RE980AS tires have with the 11.5" and wider rims as shown in the pictures in this thread.

It's good to have another All Season Tire Option out there to choose from.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 933 Posts

255 up front?

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS