Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Has anyone tried these new AS tires and if so, have any feedback? I've been waiting for someone to make an all-season tire that will fit the 991.2 rims . I don't want winter tires since I don't plan on driving in snow- just a tire I can drive in cold weather to extend the 911 driving season by 2-3 months . It's freezing already here in the Midwest, which means the 911 goes into hibernation, which sucks. Not concerned about the decreased performance compared to summer tires. I think they're also the cheapest tires on TR in that size, plus have a 500 treadwear rating, FWIW.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am waiting for a review, but regardless, I am getting a set.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:14 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts

So are you going to switch and use all year or just during the winter/cold months?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Plan to run here year round.

will give a review on them after the weekend drive.

Last edited by Niez66; 10-18-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-18-2018, 11:03 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
So are you going to switch and use all year or just during the winter/cold months?
Plan to switch and run year round, but don’t plan to drive in snow or rain (but rain does happen).

Not sure what I want to do for wheels. I have Michelin alpins on OZ wheels I bought near new, and either want to sell them as a set or sell the tires and fit the Bridgestone to those wheels (11in rear wheels with an offset that centers the wheel in the stock GT3 position).

Old 10-18-2018, 11:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I'll need them in another month or so. Eager to hear some firsthand reviews.

Tire Rack has a review of it compared to the other usual contenders. Of course only the Bridgestones come in 991.2 size, unfortunately. Would love to have the Michelins.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:22 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I'll need them in another month or so. Eager to hear some firsthand reviews.

Tire Rack has a review of it compared to the other usual contenders. Of course only the Bridgestones come in 991.2 size, unfortunately. Would love to have the Michelins.
Have the Michelin AS/3 on my 993 and had DWS on my exige. Like them both very much. Hope Bridgestone is similar and I am fairly sure it is.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:52 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Unfortunately, they don't come in the 19-inch sizes.

I'd be curious to learn how they compare to summer tires in road noise.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Good pics. I was curious if they had the rim protector. Looks like they do.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 63 Posts

Nokian. That is the direction you should be looking. They have All Weather and Winter tires. Nokian is what the Porsche winter driving school used last winter. I've been running them for years on all my cars. When I ice raced, you couldn't win against a car that showed up with Nokian Hakkappiilita snow tires. When I did get them, they were unbelievable. I currently have Hakkappiilita 8's non-studded on my winter beater. 3rd season and the wear is even. They make 245/35R20 95T XL Studded (can get them non-studded) which I would buy if I wasn't so concerned about the deep frozen ruts that form here that would instantly demolish my rocker panels and front bumper. Good luck and check them out. Two thumbs up for Nokian.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Nokian. That is the direction you should be looking. They have All Weather and Winter tires. Nokian is what the Porsche winter driving school used last winter. I've been running them for years on all my cars. When I ice raced, you couldn't win against a car that showed up with Nokian Hakkappiilita snow tires. When I did get them, they were unbelievable. I currently have Hakkappiilita 8's non-studded on my winter beater. 3rd season and the wear is even. They make 245/35R20 95T XL Studded (can get them non-studded) which I would buy if I wasn't so concerned about the deep frozen ruts that form here that would instantly demolish my rocker panels and front bumper. Good luck and check them out. Two thumbs up for Nokian.
Nokian doesn't offer an all-season tire in the 20" 245/305 configuration. These Bridgestones are it for now.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:16 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you planning on running all-season tires year round, or just during the winter?

If the latter: Winter tires will outperform all-seasons tire on cold, dry pavement due to rubber compounds. Winter-tire rubber is specifically designed for cold temps whereas all-season rubber must be able to handle all temperatures.

I run PA4s in the winter and they are great.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Are you planning on running all-season tires year round, or just during the winter?

If the latter: Winter tires will outperform all-seasons tire on cold, dry pavement due to rubber compounds. Winter-tire rubber is specifically designed for cold temps whereas all-season rubber must be able to handle all temperatures.

I run PA4s in the winter and they are great.
Can't really do winter tires in this part of the country. It (thankfully) doesn't get cold enough consistently enough. But it will get cold and wet enough that summer tires are sketchy.

Last year, for example, we had 80 degree weather when I left work on Friday and it snowed Sunday night. But by Tuesday it was 75 again. Also had a couple of week stretch in January where it was in the 7-10 degree range in the morning with highs in the 20s. But most commonly we'll see cold and damp mid 30s in the morning with highs getting up into the 60s.

Because of that I'm super grateful Bridgestone put these tires out. I'll probably grab them in November or December and use them until April or so. Without them I wouldn't have been able to get a 911 as my daily driver. Would have had to keep the BMW, on which I had all-season year round (though it come from the factory with summer tires).

I don't envy y'all the climate that requires winter tires, but at least you have the clarity of knowing you are running a proper tire for the season rather than an all-season compromise.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

For those of us who don't track, these sound like a good solution to handle cold temperatures in the Northeast and to get home in an inch or two of snow. (I have a nasty weather car, so my 911 would only be used on the nicest winter days.) Can't wait to hear how they run. Would sure be nice not to have buy another set of wheels.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

Have the Michelin AS/3 on my 993 and had DWS on my exige. Like them both very much. Hope Bridgestone is similar and I am fairly sure it is.
I was flat out shocked by the Michelin AS/3 on our Abarth...a FAR better tire than the PZero Nero in both the wet and the dry. They transformed the car. Handled better, rode better, quieter, and fixed the car's freeway stability issues in the rain (not acceptable @ 70 mph), making it a non-issue. It's really a pity they're not available in 991 sizing.

With that said, I've had very good experience with Bridgestones...I like the logic Bridgestone uses for the shoulder and the resulting feedback on the way up to the limits.
The following 2 users liked this post by stout:
evilfij (10-13-2019), jimmiejam (11-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS