Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:23 PM
Carlos Moro
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed a set of RE980AS on my 2017 911 C2S last week and since this thread helped me a lot during research I'll leave my feedback here and hopefully help others in similar situation. I live in Seattle and this is my first winter with this car. I drive my car almost every day and I initially thought the PZeros would be fine since temperature in Seattle rarely drops bellow 45F. Over the past few weeks it has been around low 40s at night and the PZeros were drivable but grip level was pretty low. It's a lot of fun to have the rear dancing around, but I had a few scary unplanned drifts that made my heart skip a few beats. The danger combined to the possibility of damaging the PZeros at temperatures below 45F made me buy these RE980AS. Ok, enough about introduction. Let's get to the feedback: I'm pretty happy so far. The grip is far superior to the PZeros and it gives me a lot more confidence to drive in low temperatures. The noise level is also lower, but these are brand new and comparing to my old (and torn apart after several track days) PZeros is not fair. I just came back from a drive at low 40s F and I pushed them a little bit and they put a smile in my face. That's all that matters.

The following users liked this post:
evilfij (01-03-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Seems everyone in Seattle is running these!
Carlos Moro (01-02-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:50 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Moro
Installed a set of RE980AS on my 2017 911 C2S last week and since this thread helped me a lot during research I'll leave my feedback here and hopefully help others in similar situation. I live in Seattle and this is my first winter with this car. I drive my car almost every day and I initially thought the PZeros would be fine since temperature in Seattle rarely drops bellow 45F. Over the past few weeks it has been around low 40s at night and the PZeros were drivable but grip level was pretty low. It's a lot of fun to have the rear dancing around, but I had a few scary unplanned drifts that made my heart skip a few beats. The danger combined to the possibility of damaging the PZeros at temperatures below 45F made me buy these RE980AS. Ok, enough about introduction. Let's get to the feedback: I'm pretty happy so far. The grip is far superior to the PZeros and it gives me a lot more confidence to drive in low temperatures. The noise level is also lower, but these are brand new and comparing to my old (and torn apart after several track days) PZeros is not fair. I just came back from a drive at low 40s F and I pushed them a little bit and they put a smile in my face. That's all that matters.

Thanks for the update above, and the pic! Are those 305s or 295s?
evilfij (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 02:04 AM
Carlos Moro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Thanks for the update above, and the pic! Are those 305s or 295s?
305 /30 R20 in the back and 245 /35 R20 in front.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM
TexMachina
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe just me, but don’t those look stretched a little, the width being too small?

EDIT: Apologies, just scrolled up to see it’s been discussed.
Carlos Moro (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Carlos Moro
Rennlist Member

yes, they are definitely narrower and the rims stick out more. I personally prefer the look of the PZeros.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:36 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

yes, they are definitely narrower and the rims stick out more. I personally prefer the look of the PZeros.
I agree, they look stretched,and don't appear to fit properly, as a result, alter the vehicles appearance.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD
I agree, they look stretched,and don't appear to fit properly, as a result, alter the vehicles appearance.
My observation, too. Pity, given the rave reviews, as my Pirelli PZero rears looked a bit stretched on my 991.2 (but still very right, it was just part of the sidewall design) compared to Michelin P4S 305, which has a beefy sidewall more like the Pilot Sport Cup 2. It's really too bad the AS/3 isn't available in 991.2 sizes—and I need a pair of rears.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:52 PM
TexMachina
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stout
My observation, too. Pity, given the rave reviews, as my Pirelli PZero rears looked a bit stretched on my 991.2 (but still very right, it was just part of the sidewall design) compared to Michelin P4S 305, which has a beefy sidewall more like the Pilot Sport Cup 2. It's really too bad the AS/3 isn't available in 991.2 sizes—and I need a pair of rears.
Based on the above pics/statements, it appears that this is only with certain rims that are more than 11" wide, is that correct? I'm considering the Bridgestones as well, but don't want the stretched look. Can anyone with the stock 911 T rims and the Bridgestones chime in? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2020, 09:12 PM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread has been about the 980AS but has anyone looked at Toyo Proxes 4 Plus AS? I am in the market to replace my Pzero’s as rears are worn out - 14000 miles I guess got moneys worth out of the Pzero. Wont be driving in snow but am in NE and i do like to drive it on sunny cold days. Guy and Tint World swears by the Continental Extremecontact AS i think they are when I asked him about the Bridgestones. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by TexMachina
Based on the above pics/statements, it appears that this is only with certain rims that are more than 11" wide, is that correct? I'm considering the Bridgestones as well, but don't want the stretched look. Can anyone with the stock 911 T rims and the Bridgestones chime in? Thanks!
I have a stock T with the 20” x 11.5” wide Carrera S wheels. They look like the pictures above. I am very happy with these Bridgestone tires, and the stretch doesn’t worry me a bit. I am just enjoying to keep driving my T through the winter! And... I used these AS tires on the track (there was cold weather leading up to the event) and they were just fine.

I didn’t take a close up of the tire... but this is the most recent T picture I have. They look good from 15’. :-)

The following 3 users liked this post by BlackOptic:
Carlos Moro (01-12-2020), TexMachina (01-04-2020), tourenwagen (09-15-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

This thread once again highlights how differently we regard these cars depending on whether for example, they are considered track cars, weekenders or daily drivers. I'm baffled by the comment that these tires alter the vehicles appearance in any meaningful way, but the car is a daily driver for me, and I would much rather use it year round without swapping wheels. My learning is - we all have different ways of viewing these cars and how we relate to them - for some how this tire looks is a non-issue, and for others it's material...
evilfij (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 08:17 PM
TexMachina
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thinc2
This thread once again highlights how differently we regard these cars depending on whether for example, they are considered track cars, weekenders or daily drivers. I'm baffled by the comment that these tires alter the vehicles appearance in any meaningful way, but the car is a daily driver for me, and I would much rather use it year round without swapping wheels. My learning is - we all have different ways of viewing these cars and how we relate to them - for some how this tire looks is a non-issue, and for others it's material...
...and for everyone it heavily depends on where you drive. I’m not liking the P0’s and am debating between the Bridgestone and Michelin PS4S for my DD. In the Bay Area, I’m finding grip lacking with the P0’s in the “winter”. Since 40 is about as cold as it gets here, the aesthetics matter when comparing the two because it nudges me towards the PS4S assuming they have more grip than the P0 in the 40-60 range. Also, I’m assuming better performance out of the PS4S than the Bridgestone’s in warmer weather, but would love any feedback on that.

Of course I’d never pick a tire solely on looks, but the way it looks does factor in. Not sure why it’s that absurd to take aesthetics into account when considering a tire, especially when we are all so OCD about most every facet of our cars! You’re talking to enthusiasts who spend 10-50k on everything from exhausts to PCCB’s for little other reason than aesthetics, and that’s totally fine! To each their own.

Last edited by TexMachina; 01-04-2020 at 11:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexMachina:
Carlos Moro (01-12-2020), SH2 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:52 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

The 305 RE980s look a lot like my rear 295 Sottozeroes that I run in the winter on my CT. I agree they don't look as aggressive as the extra-wide summer 305 Pzero, but I'm not overly concerned about that, especially since I am running the 295s nearly half the year anyway! Here in the Midwest the UHP A/S tires make a lot of sense. We rarely get a lot of snow but frequently have below freezing temps Oct-Mar. I see the UHP A/S as a way to avoid 2 annual tire swaps or a second set of wheels and tires. I'm really surprised the other tire manufacturers are not seeing the demand here and making tires in this size, especially the really good Michelin A/S3+
evilfij (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 01:45 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
The 305 RE980s look a lot like my rear 295 Sottozeroes that I run in the winter on my CT. I agree they don't look as aggressive as the extra-wide summer 305 Pzero, but I'm not overly concerned about that, especially since I am running the 295s nearly half the year anyway! Here in the Midwest the UHP A/S tires make a lot of sense. We rarely get a lot of snow but frequently have below freezing temps Oct-Mar. I see the UHP A/S as a way to avoid 2 annual tire swaps or a second set of wheels and tires. I'm really surprised the other tire manufacturers are not seeing the demand here and making tires in this size, especially the really good Michelin A/S3+
^^^ +991 I would love to go to A/S on my Carrera (Chicago weather) and probably will. But RE980s would not be my first choice if others had 255/305 sizes.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS