Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by 991GTA
What’s the difference between the Carrera T file and the GT3 touring file

I have a Carrera T and I’m debating which file to use
We wrote the Carrera T file before the GT3 Tour file. At the time when we wrote the Carrera T file we had the handling very well balanced for average drivers.
There is factory supported pro driver who has a Carrera T, he trail brakes the car hard to just about every corner, so we suggested he try the GT3 Tour file that we wrote later on. Because of his driving style he loved it! Other driver with similar driving style and/or prefer more aggressive front damping in Sport mode also prefer our GT3 Tour file.
Some drivers might find the Carrera T file to turn-in slightly sharper without trail braking in Sport mode.
Comes down to personal preference. I recommend trying both to see which you prefer.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 08-21-2020 at 09:30 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
EvilBoffin (08-21-2020), LWG (08-21-2020), Omega4 (08-21-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:40 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I had told myself I wasnt going to buy one of these because all of the reviews are mostly about it making the street ride more comfortable and not many reviews about track driving. I bought one last month and I like it. I have not gotten to the track yet with it as I started building another car for the track and took it last week instead. I did however get to take my 991 to the “tail of the dragon” yesterday. I had the GT3 file loaded on the DSC and the car for lack of better words felt more planted as Tom said. I have driven that section of road many many times very aggressively so I can tell any differences. I understand what the DSC is doing to a basic extent, but not fully so I cant describe it technically. I can just say the car felt better, more connected and was more confidence inspiring. I could see it gaining a little bit in lap times but not a whole lot. I dont know if the absolute best 10.5/10 lap time that the car is capable of driven by a pro driver would gain much if any in lap times (maybe it would I dont know) but it would help other average to semi advanced drivers get more out of the car because of the improved feel. Thats my take without any data to back it up yet. I will try to do a session at some point on track with stock and then a session with DSC to see if there is any meaningful difference in the same day though. Regardless, I would buy it again.

Last edited by JSETarga; 08-21-2020 at 09:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JSETarga:
GT3FZS (08-25-2020), Need4S (08-22-2020), Omega4 (08-21-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JSETarga
I had told myself I wasnt going to buy one of these because all of the reviews are mostly about it making the street ride more comfortable and not many reviews about track driving. I bought one last month and I like it. I have not gotten to the track yet with it as I started building another car for the track and took it last week instead. I did however get to take my 991 to the “tail of the dragon” yesterday. I had the GT3 file loaded on the DSC and the car for lack of better words felt more planted as Tom said. I have driven that section of road many many times very aggressively so I can tell any differences. I understand what the DSC is doing to a basic extent, but not fully so I cant describe it technically. I can just say the car felt better, more connected and was more confidence inspiring. I could see it gaining a little bit in lap times but not a whole lot. I dont know if the absolute best 10.5/10 lap time that the car is capable of driven by a pro driver would gain much if any in lap times (maybe it would I dont know) but it would help other average to semi advanced drivers get more out of the car because of the improved feel. Thats my take without any data to back it up yet. I will try to do a session at some point on track with stock and then a session with DSC to see if there is any meaningful difference in the same day though. Regardless, I would buy it again.
Great comment regarding feel. A pro driver reacts to a car getting out of shape quicker than most non-pro drivers, and a pro often predict for it. So having improved feel and stability at or near the limit of grip is a great feature by making it safer for driving enthusiasts to enjoy the higher end of the performance window.
Very glad to hear you like your DSC!
Old 08-24-2020, 05:04 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Hi Tom,
I have a couple of quick questions.
I have a 2017 C2 and have already ordered Bilstein B16 and the DSC Sport Module from Soul (I'm just waiting to pick everything up once my headers and sport cats are ready).

My car will be lowered (probably around 25mm - from what I've read, anything more is too much and the car doesn't like it).
Any tips regarding setup (alignment and files)?

It seems that the GT3T is a great file for aggressive driving. I would still want the "normal" mode to ride nice, but I don't want it to be floaty and too lose.
How do I download the new files? Do I just need to connect it to my laptop and download the files?

My driving preference is strong front end bite. I've been racing for years in a 335i (mostly endurance racing) and like a predictable car. I'm pushing the car harder and harder since I've gotten it and it feels well planted (I only have it for about a month). I've gotten it to four wheel drift a bit, but mainly the front seems to be pretty stable. The back end grip coming out of turns is outrageous. Once you shift balance to the rears out of the corner, it just hooks.

TY!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rugu6869
I have a couple of quick questions.
I have a 2017 C2 and have already ordered Bilstein B16 and the DSC Sport Module from Soul (I'm just waiting to pick everything up once my headers and sport cats are ready).

My car will be lowered (probably around 25mm - from what I've read, anything more is too much and the car doesn't like it).
Any tips regarding setup (alignment and files)?

It seems that the GT3T is a great file for aggressive driving. I would still want the "normal" mode to ride nice, but I don't want it to be floaty and too lose.
How do I download the new files? Do I just need to connect it to my laptop and download the files?
Generally, for street cars and dual-purpose cars, I do not prefer ride height that is too low. If it was me I would go 20mm lower than stock...
the lower the ride height, the less suspension travel stroke there is, the higher the chance of bounce, float, porposing... DSC does a great job of calming these unwanted effects but ultimately the limitation is the sum of reaction time of the dampers and available travel stroke.
B16 is a good value product for its price range. Like the OEM PASM dampers they don't react to commands 1:1 during mid-stroke so having more travel stoke would be better.

I would suggest trying the GT3 Tour calibration file first.
Yes you need a Windows10 laptop to download and write files. All resources are available on DSC Website...
DSC software - https://www.dscsport.com/software-2/
DSC calibration file library - https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
DSC "how to" videos - https://www.dscsport.com/support-videos/

If this is dual-purpose car I suggest OEM GT3 alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:57 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Generally, for street cars and dual-purpose cars, I do not prefer ride height that is too low. If it was me I would go 20mm lower than stock...
the lower the ride height, the less suspension travel stroke there is, the higher the chance of bounce, float, porposing... DSC does a great job of calming these unwanted effects but ultimately the limitation is the sum of reaction time of the dampers and available travel stroke.
B16 is a good value product for its price range. Like the OEM PASM dampers they don't react to commands 1:1 during mid-stroke so having more travel stoke would be better.

I would suggest trying the GT3 Tour calibration file first.
Yes you need a Windows10 laptop to download and write files. All resources are available on DSC Website...
DSC software - https://www.dscsport.com/software-2/
DSC calibration file library - https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
DSC "how to" videos - https://www.dscsport.com/support-videos/

If this is dual-purpose car I suggest OEM GT3 alignment.
Thank you for the informative reply!

I won't be tracking this car, just street use, but I want something that does not have slop in handling and feels very bolted down when pushed hard. I believe your recommendations are very close to what I'm looking for.
For me, if I'm going to the track, I'd rather be racing LOL!

My daily is a 2015 VW GTI with a Stage 3 APR setup (400hp, 400tq), Stoptech BBK, plus about $5k in suspension work (JRZ RS1, control arms, sways, chassis stiffening). It weighs about 2970lbs. so it's quite tossable.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:16 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

Threadjack quick question. Did your MK7 suspension changes cure the bottoming out/crashing of the suspension?
Bud Taylor (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 05:42 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Threadjack quick question. Did your MK7 suspension changes cure the bottoming out/crashing of the suspension?
Yes. The bumps are now soaked up without bottoming out.
The rears did bottom out with my wife and daughter in the back, until we switched swaybar endlinks. That made all the difference. The endlinks would actually hit the frame and stock the suspension movement completely (SuperPro).
Changed to a smaller, spherical endlink and no more hitting.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:13 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys so I’m downloading the map to my DSC and I’m not sure what “LNC” is under vehicle type

my options are Porsche 9x1 or 9x1 w/ LNC

I am using the gt3 touring file
Old 08-31-2020, 11:41 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 991GTA
Hey guys so I’m downloading the map to my DSC and I’m not sure what “LNC” is under vehicle type

my options are Porsche 9x1 or 9x1 w/ LNC

I am using the gt3 touring file
When selecting the Vehicle Type in the DSC Sport Tuner software, the LNC stands for Launch Control. By selecting LNC the software will display the settings for Launch Control in the Accel page.
If you don't launch your car from standing stop then dismiss this selection. Regardless, the function is still programmed in, by not selecting LNC, the software just doesn't show the programmed values in the Accel page.
For the purpose of writing a calibration file to your DSC either selection is fine.

Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 08-31-2020, 11:56 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Another question regarding suspension alignment.
Again, I'll have the Blistein B16 and have the Elephant Racing End Links.
I'd like more front end grip (I'm washing out the front end a bit), but would ideally like to not run camber plates if possible.

Any idea on suspension alignment specs?
TY!
Old 09-05-2020, 07:58 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Installed my DSC unit this morning. Did a short drive in the neighbouring streets with my wife and felt the difference. I had the 991 Carrera map. Suspension is "smoother", we feel the bumps and crack in the street but they seem smoother, less pronounced.
We felt is was money well spent.
But, after a short drive on the highway, we decided to try the Launch Control on a side street. Everything went fine but the car hit the rev limiter, no shifting. The PDK trans was in auto. This was not the first launch control I did with the car. It has always shifted when at redline.
The only thing that changed is the DSC unit.
Is the DSC unit interfering?
When I loaded the file I chose the 9X1 LNC choice.
The car is a 991.2 C4S PDK with no other mods.

Last edited by dannyss; 09-05-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:03 PM
phi399
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got mine and had to put back in the factory unit. I was pulling into my son's school and went over a speed bump extremely slow. It sounded like the suspension bottomed out. Checked for codes and had a Check PASM control unit fault memory content error. C1 208A. Checked all the connections and cleared the code and it happened again. I sent the code and logs to them last Friday but no response. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Really want to get it back in.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:13 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It is not a factory PASM controller and will therefore always throw a code, this is normal behavior
Old 09-12-2020, 08:29 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

? There are no codes triggered by a DSC controller. Should not happen.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module