Sponsored by:

Drive in the Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:50 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Why would someone be compelled to post a crappy opinion of a car that is a lesser model than what they have? Well, to make oneself feel superior in some way of course. I've been around RL for a long time and every once in a while this snobby nose up in the air Porsche owner superiority rears it ugly head. I find it to be a detriment to the rest of us who enjoy the brand for the way it makes us feel, and not how it makes us look. The old Porsche and the porcupine joke, well there you go...

Truth be told if I could have found an allocation for a GT3 at msrp (I will never pay ADM) I would have jumped on it. I was late to the game as I was chasing performance somewhere else. I'm probably late to the 992 GT3 game as well. I'm #20 on the list for 992.1 GT3 and #16 992.2. That is insanity. All together the GT3 is a great package. But I couldn't find an allocation, nor a dealer I'd care to work with on one so I ordered a T from my local dealer and will be taking delivery of in Stuttgart in a few weeks.

I sold my last GT3 (a 997.2) as it was too focused for the track for the way I use a 911. I like to drive them on nice days, maybe 3 days a week driving to work and on the weekends. My local track is a real snore fest, no elevation nor much technicality at all. Many of you may watch the Indy cars on it this weekend, but PIR sucks. I spent 12 years as a motorcycle track day instructor around that damn place and am simply not interested in doing it in a car. They're alway popping cars and bikes for sound now as well. That one regulation was the straw that broke the camel's back so I hung up my leathers. Maybe I'll get into it again with cars, we'll see.

Just one reason there, so this time around I chose a model that is designed a bit more for how I drive a 911. Something that is more streetable and livable day to day than my last 997.2 GT3. I'm being honest with myself this time around. I used the full potential of my GT350, my GT3 etc in very very rare instances. The levels of these cars are so high that to use them on the streets in this way presents some serious legal and financial liability. I suspect most here may say the same thing. GT3's are awesome, but a lesser performance in all but the most rare of circumstances is still more than enough for the majority of Porsche enthusiasts in how they use their cars 99% of the time.

For whatever reason I see posts about the T in a negative light more than what I would have thought when it was first revealed. Is this model a threat to other models and their owners in some way? I alway see a post that compares the T with a base or an S. I see "for $3K more I'd get an S" or "the base is cheaper and it has the same engine, I'd get that". Both of these opinions are a bit unfounded as they always neglect to state what exactly the T comes with as standard over the base, and the standards you'd have to give up to get a S at just $3K more. Sure Porsche pushed out some BS about light weight, so what. That's not why I'm buying the car. Saying what Porsche did about lightweight was a mistake, may have tarnished the model somewhat but if you step back and take a look what the car comes with, it really is a great package and a sweet spot for many.
x2 in all seriousness. The OP's post reeks of elitism, and simply boasting he has the better car (to be clear in his subjective opinion) to those who don't want/need/or might struggle to afford a GT3. Why take time out of your day to bash a car that others obviously enjoy and like? I can only imagine why. A review is one thing, but the arrogance and snobbery there not very nice/not needed. Maybe a lesson in manners is needed. People interested in the T or who own the T must have it really bad owning that POS $100k+ car. My .2 C4 must be a POS too since it's similar with the base engine, maybe even worse since it lacks the purity ethos the T has. Since .2 Carreras are available on the lot and the cars are turbo charged, by definition then they are all POS. Actually let's take it a step further, any car that costs less than the OP's touring, is turbo charged, available for purchase instead of having to get raked over coals to get an allocation, are POS

Old 08-31-2018, 12:51 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Why would someone be compelled to post a crappy opinion of a car that is a lesser model than what they have? Well, to make oneself feel superior in some way of course. I've been around RL for a long time and every once in a while this snobby nose up in the air Porsche owner superiority rears it ugly head. I find it to be a detriment to the rest of us who enjoy the brand for the way it makes us feel, and not how it makes us look. The old Porsche and the porcupine joke, well there you go...

Truth be told if I could have found an allocation for a GT3 at msrp (I will never pay ADM) I would have jumped on it. I was late to the game as I was chasing performance somewhere else. I'm probably late to the 992 GT3 game as well. I'm #20 on the list for 992.1 GT3 and #16 992.2. That is insanity. All together the GT3 is a great package. But I couldn't find an allocation, nor a dealer I'd care to work with on one so I ordered a T from my local dealer and will be taking delivery of in Stuttgart in a few weeks.

I sold my last GT3 (a 997.2) as it was too focused for the track for the way I use a 911. I like to drive them on nice days, maybe 3 days a week driving to work and on the weekends. My local track is a real snore fest, no elevation nor much technicality at all. Many of you may watch the Indy cars on it this weekend, but PIR sucks. I spent 12 years as a motorcycle track day instructor around that damn place and am simply not interested in doing it in a car. They're alway popping cars and bikes for sound now as well. That one regulation was the straw that broke the camel's back so I hung up my leathers. Maybe I'll get into it again with cars, we'll see.

Just one reason there, so this time around I chose a model that is designed a bit more for how I drive a 911. Something that is more streetable and livable day to day than my last 997.2 GT3. I'm being honest with myself this time around. I used the full potential of my GT350, my GT3 etc in very very rare instances. The levels of these cars are so high that to use them on the streets in this way presents some serious legal and financial liability. I suspect most here may say the same thing. GT3's are awesome, but a lesser performance in all but the most rare of circumstances is still more than enough for the majority of Porsche enthusiasts in how they use their cars 99% of the time.

For whatever reason I see posts about the T in a negative light more than what I would have thought when it was first revealed. Is this model a threat to other models and their owners in some way? I alway see a post that compares the T with a base or an S. I see "for $3K more I'd get an S" or "the base is cheaper and it has the same engine, I'd get that". Both of these opinions are a bit unfounded as they always neglect to state what exactly the T comes with as standard over the base, and the standards you'd have to give up to get a S at just $3K more. Sure Porsche pushed out some BS about light weight, so what. That's not why I'm buying the car. Saying what Porsche did about lightweight was a mistake, may have tarnished the model somewhat but if you step back and take a look what the car comes with, it really is a great package and a sweet spot for many.
In this age, more and more people are getting into a Porsche wanting all the luxury laden deadweight without knowing that the 911 is (was) fundamentally a sports car. Fully agree with your preference of a T.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

... Is this model a threat to other models and their owners in some way?...
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
...simply boasting he has the better car..
If the GT3 is more expensive, it should be a "better car". You pay more for better, no? Case closed. Leave the T alone. And let us T owners go back to our lowly forum.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:52 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While there might be some truth to this, I think you're being a little harsh. I reread the first post, and unless there's some other history with the OP, I'll give him the benefit of doubt that he was just trying to share his thoughts on a car with other car enthusiasts...simple as that.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 534 Posts

Last edited by soulsea; 08-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:13 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

I really don't see any arrogance in his post other than trashing someone else car. He obviously won't buy a T and neither would I but I'm not gonna get into that.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:39 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

He has been a member since 2004, and he has no history of antagonizing others. I don't think he intended to offend anyone, although some of the responses have been very creative, and funny. If you read the original post carefully, he compliments several aspects of the T, but in the overall assessment, he states the obvious that it pales in comparison to the GT3.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

^All I'm going to say I can recall some of his previous posts flaming the R (unless they got deleted), whether or not there was merit there. So that is just your opinion, as I am entitled to mine and the OP his, but I haven't seen a "review" like the OP's since I was in middle school comparing gameboys or some immature **** like that. That was what was so funny to me to begin with...
Old 08-31-2018, 03:59 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

The better car of the two is the one with a proper manual transmission. Case closed.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:33 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

U
Why such a poor reaction to an honest post from the OP? He gave his honest review, including some comparison to his own GT3, after spending an entire day itch the Carrera T. He said the Carrera T was fast, had plenty of power and he contrasted the base audio with the Bose. Personally, regardless of marque and model, I find most journalist reviews to be overly complimentary. Is this due to the actual quality of modern cars or more about maintaining a cordial relationship with the OEMs to ensure access to insider information and regular access to press cars?

There are a few amateur video bloggers (e.g. Nick Murray) that give both positive and negative feedback on various cars they drive but it’s rare that the professional journalists bash an OEM offering, especially iconic ones like 911s. Clarkson, May and Hammond have filled the absence of negative feedback for years in their unique comedic style. Even in their crazy “build” episodes they are often poking fun at OEMs for lack of innovation and over marketing.

I welcome more honest, complete reviews.

Ryan
Old 08-31-2018, 04:47 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reidry

Why such a poor reaction to an honest post from the OP? He gave his honest review, including some comparison to his own GT3, after spending an entire day itch the Carrera T. He said the Carrera T was fast, had plenty of power and he contrasted the base audio with the Bose. Personally, regardless of marque and model, I find most journalist reviews to be overly complimentary. Is this due to the actual quality of modern cars or more about maintaining a cordial relationship with the OEMs to ensure access to insider information and regular access to press cars?

There are a few amateur video bloggers (e.g. Nick Murray) that give both positive and negative feedback on various cars they drive but it’s rare that the professional journalists bash an OEM offering, especially iconic ones like 911s. Clarkson, May and Hammond have filled the absence of negative feedback for years in their unique comedic style. Even in their crazy “build” episodes they are often poking fun at OEMs for lack of innovation and over marketing.

I welcome more honest, complete reviews.

Ryan
Originally Posted by destaccado
... The T isn't a car that you get to supplement your GT3 as a daily driver, it's another toy that you buy - probably because you don't have a GT3. ...only you get bored with this toy a couple of days after Christmas and then don't bother to ask your parents to buy you some new batteries...
There's a difference between giving honest, complete reviews and thumbing your nose looking down at someone who is "only" able to afford a $100k+ car or perhaps sees more value in a T than a GT3. Your idea of honest, complete reviews differs from mine (which is OK)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a difference between giving honest, complete reviews and thumbing your nose looking down at someone who is "only" able to afford a $100k+ car or perhaps sees more value in a T than a GT3. Your idea of honest, complete reviews differs from mine (which is OK)
There are lots of reasons one might not have a GT3. In the Carrera T $100k price range a GT4 or 997 GT3 is certainly accessible, even a 991.1 GT3. Internet forums are often difficult places as there is no voice inflection or body language from which to gather subtle intent and sarcasm. I took the Christmas toy joke more as an opinion that the OP felt the 911T is a car that he personally would grow bored with quickly - I’ve certainly seen this happen to friends at many price points and with vehicles they thought they would have a very close, emotional connection to.

For me, an essential part of motoring are the sounds from the chassis, the motor and the exhaust. While the Carrera and Carrera T share the same excellent chassis as the rest of the range and the power and efficiency of the turbo flat4 is a perfect fit for emissions and fleet mpg, I share the OPs opinion that the motor and exhaust just doesn’t deliver a good noise.

From my personal experience I spent some time in a 2013 911S Cabriolet before buying other cars and eventually a 2015 GT3 - I felt no connection with that car. Drove a 2012 Cayman R a few weeks later that instantly felt more exciting, nimble, and engaging. They were both PDK. We still own the Cayman R and doubt my wife will ever let it go.

Ryan
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I felt compelled because of all the previous things I read in the GT3 forum about how great the Carrera T was from the guys who were wined and dined by Porsche.

Sorry, but as a longtime Porsche owner the Carrera T (and probably the rest of the Carrera models) is a huge disappointment. I also thought my 991.1 S sucked and I posted a thread here about it a few years back where a bunch of people got butthurt that someone didn't share their opinion and cried similar to how you are right now. The "elitism" / superiority angle is definitely a new one though. I guess now that I own a better car I can't have an honest opinion anymore?

Quite frankly, after driving the Carrera T I can see why the market places an ADM on the GT3 and a discount on the T.

Also, take note of the fact that I'm in Germany surrounded by wonderful roads to properly appreciate the differences in these cars without legal jeopardy. Further, if you read the whole thread I already explained the "drive it like I stole it." The car wasn't launched, overrevved, or damaged. I'm confident it was treated the same way any of you would have treated a rental Porsche from Avis you picked up at the Frankfurt airport. I simply meant I didn't have an **** Porsche owner looking over my shoulder where I had to baby the car.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:24 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reidry

There are lots of reasons one might not have a GT3. In the Carrera T $100k price range a GT4 or 997 GT3 is certainly accessible, even a 991.1 GT3. Internet forums are often difficult places as there is no voice inflection or body language from which to gather subtle intent and sarcasm. I took the Christmas toy joke more as an opinion that the OP felt the 911T is a car that he personally would grow bored with quickly - I’ve certainly seen this happen to friends at many price points and with vehicles they thought they would have a very close, emotional connection to.

For me, an essential part of motoring are the sounds from the chassis, the motor and the exhaust. While the Carrera and Carrera T share the same excellent chassis as the rest of the range and the power and efficiency of the turbo flat4 is a perfect fit for emissions and fleet mpg, I share the OPs opinion that the motor and exhaust just doesn’t deliver a good noise.

From my personal experience I spent some time in a 2013 911S Cabriolet before buying other cars and eventually a 2015 GT3 - I felt no connection with that car. Drove a 2012 Cayman R a few weeks later that instantly felt more exciting, nimble, and engaging. They were both PDK. We still own the Cayman R and doubt my wife will ever let it go.

Ryan
It's time to show teeth since I have a bit of time today and slacking on work today after a long work week. I have 0 issue or care for what the OP's opinion is of the 991.1 or 991.2 or Carrera T or GT4 or GT3 or Cayman R (or yours for that matter), you are completely whiffing the point. I take issue with the OP referring to his car as a GT3 and referring to other peoples' Carrera T as a toy which we all know is an ignorant slight to them. Why do that? They are enthusiasts no different than us who work very hard and spend time money and effort to get these cars in their garage. Hell I could have thought the OP was referring to a Pinto, not a Porsche 911 with an MSRP of $102,100. Maybe OP has more money than God and his Christmas toys are $102k. Money does not buy class or tact. No different than someone who owns a GT2RS or 918 randomly waltzing in and saying our GT3s etc. are Christmas toys that we won't want to replace the batteries on unsolicited. That's judging people and their purchase, and hiding behind an "objective" review that is completely subjective. If someone wants a "pure" car but needs rear seats to accommodate his or her children to share in the joy of driving that car, does that make his $102k T a "toy"? What in the hell? What if he can't afford a GT3? Or he tried to get one and was told to **** off by his dealer? He has an unwanted Christmas toy? This subforum with the measuring contests and ignorance is turning into a little boys club while the 991 subforum is the actual forum to be in with enthusiasts just seeking help/input/reviews/photos/being part of a community. Let's hear what you have to say.

Originally Posted by destaccado
I felt compelled because of all the previous things I read in the GT3 forum about how great the Carrera T was from the guys who were wined and dined by Porsche.

Sorry, but as a longtime Porsche owner the Carrera T is a huge disappointment. I also thought my 991.1 S sucked and I posted a thread here about it a few years back where a bunch of people got butthurt that someone didn't share their opinion and cried similar to how you are right now. The "elitism" / superiority angle is definitely a new one though. I guess now that I own a better car I can't have an honest opinion anymore?

Quite frankly, after driving the Carrera T I can see why the market places an ADM on the GT3 and a discount on the T.

Also, take note of the fact that I'm in Germany surrounded by wonderful roads to properly appreciate the differences in these cars without legal jeopardy.
Read above
Old 08-31-2018, 07:25 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I wasn't intentionally thumbing my nose at anyone actually but I do find it rather funny to see the "woe is me" coming from someone whose car "only" cost ~$110,000. First world problems I guess.

Quick Reply: Drive in the Carrera T