Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive in the Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Love this thread! Especially the last several posts! Made my lunch time go fast.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:34 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
I think the flaws in the Carrera T become more evident when you compare it to a Carrera GT or even a 917K. The Carrera T simply doesn't have the raw power of the CGT, the 917K, or any RSR from the last several years. From a dead stop, when you launch an RSR you REALLY FEEL THE PULL and the exhaust note is spectacular. By comparison, when you "launch" a Carrera T, you're not any quicker than Fred Flinstone picking up his stone car and running with it.

I was driving someone else's Carrera T so I totally abused the living hell out of it to the point where it had to be towed back to the owner, and I still couldn't get the emotion that a CGT or RSR evokes. One thing that really wrinkled my test*cles was the lack of a huge rear spoiler like the RSR. Huge wings are everything, and the fact the Carrera T doesn't have it is further proof that Porsche has been taken over by the liberal tree huggers at VW.

I will admit, though, the Bose option in the Carrera T is really nice, and I think this was over-looked when the RSR and 917K was built. And I must say, I was also pleasantly surprised by the steering. Left was left.. Right was right... no issues. But otherwise, outside of the Bose and the steering, the Carrera T just doesn't even feel like real Porsche. Furthermore, I think it perfectly exemplifies the lack of direction and the myriad of engineering flaws which are all too evident in the modern day 911.
That's some funny **** right there

I dont have a T but on paper i love it. For $60K less than a GT3 you get a 911 thats deceptively quick (all 991.2's are faster than their HP would lead you to believe). Some performance elements. I'd go MT. and a little rougher, simpler and less GT than a regular 911. What's not to love. Unless you have a GT3 Touring and think that all other cars are crap.

By the way I'd rather have a 911R than a Gt3 Touring. And i'd rather have a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 than an R. And i'd rather have a CGT and so forth. There's always something that's better out there. But soon you are up the foodchain and $$ chain. There's a Porsche for everyone and they're all good. Some are great
Old 08-30-2018, 03:37 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I also just found out that the 959 and 288 GTO have turbos'. They're dead to me.

Just teasing Guiseppe
Old 08-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Before I ordered my T, was also considering gt3 touring pack. The biggest concern was the lack of rear seat in gt3. I need the rear seat for kids, so the T was the only choice. I am glad I chose the T. Also sometimes going to summer cabin with T, barely surviving the rural road with T, no way with gt3. These are different cars for different purposes. I like my T, but if porsche would ever put rear seats on gt3 touring, that would be something.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,740 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
You get greater agility (feels like a shorter wheelbase, better/sharper turn-in) with greater stability (particularly on corner entry at speed, particularly when trail braking your way in; also in emergency maneuvers)—two attributes that are usually in conflict. It's "transparent" technology, much like PTV—a credit to the engineers involved.
Since the rear system only steers in opposite direction of front system under 31 mph, "shortening the wheelbase" (and has the opposite effect at higher speeds), I would think this effect would be absent or doing the exact opposite during "corner entry at speed" unless a very tight corner where "at speed" could mean 30mph. Very few tracks have a corner that slow...

So, my guess would be that at the track the RWS would be making the car feel less agile (but more stable) than a car without RWS (but I've never compared). I wish there was an "off" switch for the GT3, just to be able to experiment...
Old 08-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I was fortunate enough to be able to afford, and get an allocation for a GT3 touring, but I gladly would have owned a Carrera T. Based on most of what I've read, it sounds like a very fine car...and Porsche.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

I don't know about the rest of the country but in the Denver area the dealers are getting a ton of T allocations. The T's are sitting on the lots unsold and the ones coming in have no buyers. I don't know if it is a money grab from Porsche? I was told dealers have very few allocations for the base model and are being forced to order the T.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:15 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm the opposite. I tend to abuse my own car and baby cars that belong to others. What's wrong with me ?
Old 08-30-2018, 04:17 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 509 Posts

911 T is basically a 911R, in fact better.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I'm the opposite. I tend to abuse my own car and baby cars that belong to others. What's wrong with me ?
That's messed up man - you definitely need help
Old 08-30-2018, 04:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,296 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I wish there was an "off" switch for the GT3, just to be able to experiment...
^ It's more complicated than that, as the response/added stability in the rear allows certain possibilities with the front wheel steering. Order RWS in a T, and you get a quicker front rack, too.

The performance advantages of RWS are, to me, undeniable. Kind of like PDK....
Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,740 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Order RWS in a T, and you get a quicker front rack, too.
Didn't know that

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I think that the T tends to fall victim to the fact that there is a GT3 with a similar name (GT3 T). In fact, they are nowhere remotely similar, nor are they intended to be.

The T is intended to be the "stripper" version of the base 911 that everyone talks about and few buy. You know, manual, no sunroof, all the performance goodies, no leather dash, no sofa seats, etc. The one that magazines laud is the most pure and fun Carrera and as much 911 as you really need for the street. People get bent that the price is closing in on a base Carrera S but in reality if you were to spec a base Carrera with the sports options the T has standard, the T is cheaper. Plus you can get options on the T that you can't on the base Carrera. Like LWB's. And RAS. And you get the shorter gearing from the S in the manual.

All in all, if you are the type of person to order a Carrera as a simple and fun car, no frills, then the T fits the bill perfectly. If you're going to fit 18 ways, leather dash, etc. then you're probably better off getting a base Carrera optioned the way you want it or an S.

Comparing the T to any GT car is folly.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

When I started my GT3 hunt, I ordered a base Carrera. The idea being, I get on the dealer’s good side and if I got a GT3 allocation I could trade it in and it was a vehicle (pun intended) to get feasibility started on my chosen color. The only thing the base Carrera did not have available that I really wanted were LWBs. My build was minimizing weight (4 way sport plus seats, no sunroof, 19in wheels, no bose) and I requested PTS and LTS with wood trim and steering wheel.

My dealer got me a GT3 allocation and I was a bit sad to lose LTS and wood trim. When the T came out, I was like, why am I forking over extra money for a GT3? Oh right, because #racecar.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

^ It's more complicated than that, as the response/added stability in the rear allows certain possibilities with the front wheel steering. Order RWS in a T, and you get a quicker front rack, too.

The performance advantages of RWS are, to me, undeniable. Kind of like PDK....
Quicker rack? See if Porsche advertised that I may have gone that route. I actually checked through most of the PET to see if there were hidden differences and missed that one.

The car honestly feels great without it. Steering is spot on.

Quick Reply: Drive in the Carrera T