Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive in the Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

There are so many languishing on dealers' lots. Aren't T's replacing Mercedes as taxi cabs in Germany? :-)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think you lucked out. With a $1,500 tune, you'll have more power and torque than an S with the snappier throttle response of the base engine (smaller faster spooling turbochargers). With the remaining $8,500, I think that would buy S brakes installed with GT3 master cylinder and at least one set of tires
Agreed 100%. Honestly the brakes so far feel great too. I just tend to overkill brakes on the street and go big.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:23 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The entire front end looks different. I could compare how different the side profile view is too due to the larger hips on the GT3. From there, the Carrera's exhaust pipes are oddly spaced and the rear decklid looks strange/cheap. There's a lot of noticeable differences that add up.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:27 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
There are so many languishing on dealers' lots. Aren't T's replacing Mercedes as taxi cabs in Germany? :-)
No...but the nice C/E types of 5-10 years ago are being replaced by A/B beaters as opposed to being replaced with newer C/E's. Probably because of rideshare on the horizon.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:40 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Silly destaccado, Porsche only compares the T to the R.
If you'd been here for more than 5 minutes you'd know to which comparisons I was referring to.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The entire front end looks different. I could compare how different the side profile view is too due to the larger hips on the GT3. From there, the Carrera's exhaust pipes are oddly spaced and the rear decklid looks strange/cheap. There's a lot of noticeable differences that add up.

Believe me, I know the differences—as do all of the other mentalists on RL. And I don't care for the strakes on the Carrera's front bumper (you forgot to circle the fake ones in the middle)—while I dig the front bumper's top vent on the GT3. On the other hand, if one could swap mesh in for the strakes, I think the Carrera would have the better looking nose—as seen in a render by the late Steve Anderson, of a 991.2 variant we called the "F22.2" in honor of Kahnau's old lightweight 3.2.

The rest of the visual differences between a Carrera/T and a GT3 are a mixed bag for me, with some wins going to the GT3 and some going to the Carrera/T. That's a matter of taste, however, and YMMV. But we sometimes have to step back and laugh at ourselves...because, to the average person on the street, these differences are ridiculously small. It's part of what I love about Porsche, where a top model doesn't look much different than the standard car, but I also recognize the folly in it.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:53 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Believe me, I know the differences—as do all of the other mentalists on RL. And I don't care for the strakes on the Carrera's front bumper—while digging the top vent on the GT3. The rest of the differences are a mixed bag, with some wins going to the GT3 and some wins going to the standard car (IMO).

But sometimes we have to step back and laugh at ourselves...because, to the average person on the street, these differences are ridiculously small. It's part of what I love about Porsche, where a top model doesn't look much different than the standard car, but I also recognize the folly.
Ya...I didn't really mean to respond to you but the other gentleman you had quoted. I completely agree with what you're saying here. My girlfriend only knows the differences because she's been around the cars long enough - none of her friends or the average person on the street would know. ...and looks are definitely subjective so people are welcome to prefer the cheap looking front fascia and rear decklid of the 991.2 Carrera/S/T. For me the perfect 991 look would be the Touring front with an R backend that had the .2 lights added.

...but this is also a discussion among enthusiasts - not among people on the street. So anyone here who can't spot the obvious large differences is either blind or being willfully ignorant. Next to each other the Carrera T and the GT3 Touring look substantially different. This isn't Carrera vs Carrera S where you look to the brakes.

No one who bought a T should take my criticism of it personally. I bought the 991.1 S, never liked it, and took a huge bath selling it.

...and yes, that render looks night and day better.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
If you'd been here for more than 5 minutes you'd know to which comparisons I was referring to.
I know. Just messing with you.

Btw, I am happy to know I have a (very) poor man's R, rather than a GT3-lite.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:33 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Silly destaccado, Porsche only compares the T to the R.
He is referring to the fact that Porsche did a combined press launch with the T and the GT3T, so it was to be expected that all the reviewers compared the two cars to each other.

BTW - there seems to be a lot of confusion on the gearing of the T. My understanding is that it is only ‘shorter’ in that it is identical to the base Carerra which is also ‘shorter’ than the S/GTS models? The other difference being the shifter itself has a shorter throw than the other models, correct?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:38 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

He is referring to the fact that Porsche did a combined press launch with the T and the GT3T, so it was to be expected that all the reviewers compared the two cars to each other.

BTW - there seems to be a lot of confusion on the gearing of the T. My understanding is that it is only ‘shorter’ in that it is identical to the base Carerra which is also ‘shorter’ than the S/GTS models? The other difference being the shifter itself has a shorter throw than the other models, correct?
Other way around. It has the S ratios I believe. The shifter is also different.

Two dealers had told me that gears 1 through 3 were also shortened but I cannot find anything to prove that.

The ratios feel right. That is all that matters. The manual base I drove had longer legs and it was noticeable.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:50 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
...He is referring to the fact that Porsche did a combined press launch with the T and the GT3T...
Oh yes, I know. I've seen the Youtube videos, lots of them... the magazine articles, the blog posts, the RL posts (Stout's thread was great)... and, more Youtube videos. Google news still posts a 'new' article each week based on that South of France trip.

I'd been lusting over a GT3T since I bought my T, but I am over it. Now I am lusting for a GT3RS electric car.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Other way around. It has the S ratios I believe. The shifter is also different.

Two dealers had told me that gears 1 through 3 were also shortened but I cannot find anything to prove that.

The ratios feel right. That is all that matters. The manual base I drove had longer legs and it was noticeable.
I really don’t think this is correct, the base and the T have the same ratios.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:15 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

What wheels are they on the mockup? Are they available? They look like modern Fuchs.

On that theme, I think the T would be a great base to build a retro-mod (opposite of a restomod). I really like the narrow body look (more than my GT3T), and with some Fuchs, houndstooth, stripes etc it could look awesome...

Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
What wheels are they on the mockup? Are they available? They look like modern Fuchs.

On that theme, I think the T would be a great base to build a retro-mod (opposite of a restomod). I really like the narrow body look (more than my GT3T), and with some Fuchs, houndstooth, stripes etc it could look awesome...
Definitely a riff on the Fuchs of old, and one of the better ones from the factory. The fronts are available (they're the five-lug 20s for the 991 Turbo/S), but the rears are only available for C4/C4S/GTS or Turbo rear flares, so you'd have to have someone like Hartmann, Vossen, etc make rears for an NB application.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:30 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Yep. (Silver shows the differences more.) ;-)

They are so different its not funny. C'mon. Even my 14 year daughter who i just showed this to can see. She said that car on the left - ew and went back to playing on her phone. She loooooved the car on the right. So i pressed on -what are the differences. Now clearly irritated Dad - picture 1 there is a black badge on the rear grill and the exhaust pipes are different distances apart. Well picture - 2 there aint no difference. In picture 3 - the left hand car doesnt have a stereo, so i cant stream my music (that was her biggest concern).

So Dest - you are correct - They are worlds apart.

Quick Reply: Drive in the Carrera T