Sponsored by:

Drive in the Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:34 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Overall = the Carrera T is a disappointing car showing the sad direction the new 911's all seem to be taking. The Carrera T would never find it's way to my garage, even in a world where the GT3 didn't exist. It was simply too pedestrian looking, too pedestrian sounding and honestly lacked the emotion you get driving an older Porsche or a GT3. Further, it didn't feel that much more comfortable. I'm confident I could daily drive my GT3 in 99% of the situations I could daily drive the Carrera T in. The T isn't a car that you get to supplement your GT3 as a daily driver, it's another toy that you buy - probably because you don't have a GT3. ...only you get bored with this toy a couple of days after Christmas and then don't bother to ask your parents to buy you some new batteries.

Regardless of what they try to label it, it's still a 991.2 with a Carrera turbo motor put in there to satisfy emission purposes and I can't help but think the comparison reviewers gave it a better shake than it deserved because of all the access and free fun Porsche gave them. Give me a paid trip to test out the next product with Walter Rohrl and I promise to have a higher opinion too!
Thank you for the honest, straightforward review.

I would like to see journalists give real reviews like this one.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Definitely a riff on the Fuchs of old, and one of the better ones from the factory. The fronts are available (they're the five-lug 20s for the 991 Turbo/S), but the rears are only available for C4/C4S/GTS or Turbo rear flares, so you'd have to have someone like Hartmann, Vossen, etc make rears for an NB application.
Awesome thanks for the heads up! Would the rears fit on a GT3?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Awesome thanks for the heads up! Would the rears fit on a GT3?
Arrggh ignore my stupid post. Centerlocks )
Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

I really don’t think this is correct, the base and the T have the same ratios.
3.59:1 in the S and T versus 3.44:1 in the base manual cars.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:15 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
They are so different its not funny. C'mon. Even my 14 year daughter who i just showed this to can see. She said that car on the left - ew and went back to playing on her phone. She loooooved the car on the right. So i pressed on -what are the differences. Now clearly irritated Dad - picture 1 there is a black badge on the rear grill and the exhaust pipes are different distances apart. Well picture - 2 there aint no difference. In picture 3 - the left hand car doesnt have a stereo, so i cant stream my music (that was her biggest concern).

So Dest - you are correct - They are worlds apart.
That's why all proper GT3s have a wing
Old 08-30-2018, 10:27 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
...In picture 3 - the left hand car doesnt have a stereo, so i cant stream my music...
If your little girl is in the the USA, she can worry not. The T isn’t available radio-free (on account of the backup camera rules). The configurator lies bigly. The car is probably wider too.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 128 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by fastmd
I like having an inappropriate GT3
Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Indeed.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:15 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree! Mine also folds out at 120 km/h and in at 80 km/h. Which I really like.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:14 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 557 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Believe me, I know the differences—as do all of the other mentalists on RL. And I don't care for the strakes on the Carrera's front bumper (you forgot to circle the fake ones in the middle)—while I dig the front bumper's top vent on the GT3. On the other hand, if one could swap mesh in for the strakes, I think the Carrera would have the better looking nose—as seen in a render by the late Steve Anderson, of a 991.2 variant we called the "F22.2" in honor of Kahnau's old lightweight 3.2.

The rest of the visual differences between a Carrera/T and a GT3 are a mixed bag for me, with some wins going to the GT3 and some going to the Carrera/T. That's a matter of taste, however, and YMMV. But we sometimes have to step back and laugh at ourselves...because, to the average person on the street, these differences are ridiculously small. It's part of what I love about Porsche, where a top model doesn't look much different than the standard car, but I also recognize the folly in it.
Interesting render, thank you. Into the 000 article about the F22, it was also a surprise for me that the car was ordered without LSD, but it makes sense when fun is the main goal of a car.

As a side note, I have had interesting discussions with young Porsche engineers about the Carrera T, and they were disappointed by the final product; not so much by the car itself, but more by the marketing position. We agreed that the name Carrera CS would have been better, with more track options. The same car with a CS package (roll cage, and so on), S regular brakes and engine and nice rear spoiler would have been nice. A perfect car to discover the track activities with a new "911", without starting with a 500hp (at least) car....
Old 08-31-2018, 09:44 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I can only do two push ups so any car with CL wheels are not an option.....
Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

you can do things with a T you can't with a GT car........this is what Scuderia did (no affiliation)

http://scuderiav.com/journal/world-f...anual-911-991/
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Nancy Reagan said it best

Old 08-31-2018, 11:55 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Why would someone be compelled to post a crappy opinion of a car that is a lesser model than what they have? Well, to make oneself feel superior in some way of course. I've been around RL for a long time and every once in a while this snobby nose up in the air Porsche owner superiority rears it ugly head. I find it to be a detriment to the rest of us who enjoy the brand for the way it makes us feel, and not how it makes us look. The old Porsche and the porcupine joke, well there you go...

Truth be told if I could have found an allocation for a GT3 at msrp (I will never pay ADM) I would have jumped on it. I was late to the game as I was chasing performance somewhere else. I'm probably late to the 992 GT3 game as well. I'm #20 on the list for 992.1 GT3 and #16 992.2. That is insanity. All together the GT3 is a great package. But I couldn't find an allocation, nor a dealer I'd care to work with on one so I ordered a T from my local dealer and will be taking delivery of in Stuttgart in a few weeks.

I sold my last GT3 (a 997.2) as it was too focused for the track for the way I use a 911. I like to drive them on nice days, maybe 3 days a week driving to work and on the weekends. My local track is a real snore fest, no elevation nor much technicality at all. Many of you may watch the Indy cars on it this weekend, but PIR sucks. I spent 12 years as a motorcycle track day instructor around that damn place and am simply not interested in doing it in a car. They're alway popping cars and bikes for sound now as well. That one regulation was the straw that broke the camel's back so I hung up my leathers. Maybe I'll get into it again with cars, we'll see.

Just one reason there, so this time around I chose a model that is designed a bit more for how I drive a 911. Something that is more streetable and livable day to day than my last 997.2 GT3. I'm being honest with myself this time around. I used the full potential of my GT350, my GT3 etc in very very rare instances. The levels of these cars are so high that to use them on the streets in this way presents some serious legal and financial liability. I suspect most here may say the same thing. GT3's are awesome, but a lesser performance in all but the most rare of circumstances is still more than enough for the majority of Porsche enthusiasts in how they use their cars 99% of the time.

For whatever reason I see posts about the T in a negative light more than what I would have thought when it was first revealed. Is this model a threat to other models and their owners in some way? I alway see a post that compares the T with a base or an S. I see "for $3K more I'd get an S" or "the base is cheaper and it has the same engine, I'd get that". Both of these opinions are a bit unfounded as they always neglect to state what exactly the T comes with as standard over the base, and the standards you'd have to give up to get a S at just $3K more. Sure Porsche pushed out some BS about light weight, so what. That's not why I'm buying the car. Saying what Porsche did about lightweight was a mistake, may have tarnished the model somewhat but if you step back and take a look what the car comes with, it really is a great package and a sweet spot for many.
The following users liked this post:
jimmymoO (10-21-2019)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Why would someone be compelled to post a crappy opinion of a car that is a lesser model than what they have? Well, to make oneself feel superior in some way of course. I've been around RL for a long time and every once in a while this snobby nose up in the air Porsche owner superiority rears it ugly head. I find it to be a detriment to the rest of us who enjoy the brand for the way it makes us feel, and not how it makes us look. The old Porsche and the porcupine joke, well there you go...

Truth be told if I could have found an allocation for a GT3 at msrp (I will never pay ADM) I would have jumped on it. I was late to the game as I was chasing performance somewhere else. I'm probably late to the 992 GT3 game as well. I'm #20 on the list for 992.1 GT3 and #16 992.2. That is insanity. All together the GT3 is a great package. But I couldn't find an allocation, nor a dealer I'd care to work with on one so I ordered a T from my local dealer and will be taking delivery of in Stuttgart in a few weeks.

I sold my last GT3 (a 997.2) as it was too focused for the track for the way I use a 911. I like to drive them on nice days, maybe 3 days a week driving to work and on the weekends. My local track is a real snore fest, no elevation nor much technicality at all. Many of you may watch the Indy cars on it this weekend, but PIR sucks. I spent 12 years as a motorcycle track day instructor around that damn place and am simply not interested in doing it in a car. They're alway popping cars and bikes for sound now as well. That one regulation was the straw that broke the camel's back so I hung up my leathers. Maybe I'll get into it again with cars, we'll see.

Just one reason there, so this time around I chose a model that is designed a bit more for how I drive a 911. Something that is more streetable and livable day to day than my last 997.2 GT3. I'm being honest with myself this time around. I used the full potential of my GT350, my GT3 etc in very very rare instances. The levels of these cars are so high that to use them on the streets in this way presents some serious legal and financial liability. I suspect most here may say the same thing. GT3's are awesome, but a lesser performance in all but the most rare of circumstances is still more than enough for the majority of Porsche enthusiasts in how they use their cars 99% of the time.

For whatever reason I see posts about the T in a negative light more than what I would have thought when it was first revealed. Is this model a threat to other models and their owners in some way? I alway see a post that compares the T with a base or an S. I see "for $3K more I'd get an S" or "the base is cheaper and it has the same engine, I'd get that". Both of these opinions are a bit unfounded as they always neglect to state what exactly the T comes with as standard over the base, and the standards you'd have to give up to get a S at just $3K more. Sure Porsche pushed out some BS about light weight, so what. That's not why I'm buying the car. Saying what Porsche did about lightweight was a mistake, may have tarnished the model somewhat but if you step back and take a look what the car comes with, it really is a great package and a sweet spot for many.
Well spoken, hear hear!

Quick Reply: Drive in the Carrera T