Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 08:11 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
I think we will see a 911 GTS with the 4L NA, and it will be in the T (maybe)... It would be great if the T became a true Clubsport “America” car, that was truly light (not just ~20 lbs) and had a NA engine. THAT would be a very hot car to own for the long term.
It sounds like you see a lot of GT3-encroaching hardware at a T price point. I’d love it, too. Too much cannibalization potential. Porsche has shown us again and again that it isn’t in this game as a community service. Especially with VW getting ready to IPO the Brand.
The following users liked this post:
Das14444 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 08:12 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by wlm50
I didn't know about the Porsche National Preowned site. That definitely would have helped me with my search. I just looked at it. The first listing to come up is the Guards Red T at Porsche Westwood. (Not Guardsman Red as I originally and incorrectly posted! Yikes!) I actually bought that car, putting down my deposit last week. Westwood is relatively local to me (45 minutes), so I was able to test drive the car. Initially, I wasn't sure I wanted a red car. But I really like it in person. Why not go for it!

I pick it up on Wednesday. Not a lightweight. But I had decided to switch to a PDK after decades of manual transmission sports cars. RAS was a must. Bose was a must. Preferred the Carrera T interior. This one has 18 way seats and a glass sunroof. I'd have been ok with the 4-ways and no sunroof, but I really like the car otherwise, so I'm ok with those options despite the somewhat extra weight. I really wanted a T because of RAS, the responsive base engine, and the lesser sound insulation to offer a slightly louder and engaging drive. Looking forward to picking it up and taking it to the detailer for a front wrap! I'll post pictures after I get the car. Fortunately, we have a break in the winter weather here in the Boston area, so I can enjoy it later this week.
Congrats on your car! I almost convinced myself to buy that car many times over the past 6 months or so. Car has a very nice, robust build, which is what I was looking for, but in the end, I wanted the 3rd pedal more than RAS. Enjoy it in good health!
wlm50 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 08:14 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerfan94
Congrats on your car! I almost convinced myself to buy that car many times over the past 6 months or so. Car has a very nice, robust build, which is what I was looking for, but in the end, I wanted the 3rd pedal more than RAS. Enjoy it in good health!
Enjoy yours, too! It will have been worth the wait.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:20 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ngamountains
It sounds like you see a lot of GT3-encroaching hardware at a T price point. I’d love it, too. Too much cannibalization potential. Porsche has shown us again and again that it isn’t in this game as a community service. Especially with VW getting ready to IPO the Brand.
True - and that’s my main peeve with Porsche these days: it’s a bit too profit focused.
An IPO - if it happens - will just be a minority stake, VW will still retain control.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:39 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by wlm50
The first listing to come up is the Guards Red T at Porsche Westwood... I wasn't sure I wanted a red car. But I really like it in person. Why not go for it!
Congrats! You made the right choice. Guards Red is iconic.

The following 5 users liked this post by Zylinderkopfdichtung:
Das14444 (02-28-2021), GT3FZS (02-28-2021), SFZ GT3 (03-06-2021), SoonerTrent (02-28-2021), spyderbret (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 PM
wlm50
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! Great photos. Guards Red is an awesome color. Now that I own one, it's even better! This car was on the lot a long time. It was always advertised as a "new" car, and they kept showing the list price - even on CarGurus, etc. So it looked like it was going to be too expensive. But I feel they gave me a good deal, and it will be a fun car. I'm coming out of a 2014 Boxster S (prior to that a 997.2 C4, a Cayman R, and a 2006 Cayman S). RAS was important to me to help the car feel nimble on back roads - similar to the Boxster/Cayman. I was also looking at the yellow car that is listed on the Mart. I spent quite a bit of time discussing it with the owner. It's an even heavier build, but still would be fun. In the end, being able to find a car I like at a local dealer so I could test drive it, and having the ability to CPO it, helped me make the decision. I hope someone picks up the yellow one soon. I know the owner is ready to move it.

Last edited by wlm50; 02-28-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:30 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Pinnacle waterless wash.
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by 737gdog:
BlackOptic (03-01-2021), matthewlesko (03-01-2021), Wing Commander (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 08:15 AM
lngebrown
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
For me, any new car going forward, I would order with PDK. The transmission with eDiff, torque vectoring, RAS is working well together with chassis, etc and new cars are set up for these systems to work together as a unit.
Going to manual with new cars, ie 992, is like neutering the cars capability. Manual can still be fun but car will not be as capable. Therefore, for me, the ethos of the T will not be the same in the 992 as it was with the 991. the same goes with GT3 touring etc. The last manual car I would buy is from the 991 series and I will keep my 7 MT 911T for now

just my two cent and not wanting to start a discussion on PDK vs Manual
I am in the same camp as you. I love the PDK in both my T and now my GT500. It makes for a great driver, especially with my wife. What fun is it to ride alone? I have had many manual cars both in street form and for the drag strip. I'm done with trying to outsmart the car by shifting manually. I didn't buy the cars to ensure great resale value, I bought them to enjoy. Both different and love them both equally. I couldn't be happier
matthewlesko (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 04:59 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 208 Posts

The 991 T is cool, but it was just a collection of options from the parts bin.
I never understood comments like this. Aren’t all Carrera 911s (except GTs) just parts bin specials then?? The base and S are 99% or more the same cars with different turbos/tune. The only thing different about the GTS was widebody and again different turbos and tune and the widebody was borrowed from the 4S...which you could also get in the base 4. Perhaps items weren’t offered in the base but again that means that the entire lineup is a parts bin special. Then you can say the GT3 is a parts bin special for a RS? Or a Turbo is a parts bin special for the Turbo S? And now the entire 992 range is widebody so they are all parts bin specials...or which one isn’t? I’d argue an S has more in common with a base than a T does with a base due to parts (or lack there of). I’d even go as far as the T also may give the GTS a run for its money with amount of differences from the base. The GTS only has widebody and turbos. Notice I left brakes off since I assume PCCBs were options in all models.

Point is they all borrow parts from another with 4 simple categories.

carrera
turbo
GT3
GT2

as for a 4.0 in a GTS...so they would make the GTS slower than the base?? 450hp is great but it definitely doesn’t have the torque of these turbo engines. Trust me, I’d be first in line for that engine but it’s an impossibility. If Porsche saw a dramatic drop in 911 sales (like when the 718 became a 4-banger) then yes, it’d be on the table. But that drop in sales was people weren’t willing to pay $70k for a four banger that was statistically better in every way but not emotionally better. And 911 sales have risen Year over year.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:18 PM
Surge74
Racer

Great points, @Alc. I realize this thread is a bit biased ;0) - the main point is that the T was sort of force fit between a base and an S. I consider it a parts-bin special because it could have been so much more.

Recall the US version of the RS America - which was effectively a base 911, but without power steering, without power windows, and other options removed. It was cheaper, lighter, faster. And it's now a hugely valuable collector.
THAT'S what the T should have been!

And that's what I'm hoping the 992 T will be -- at least closer to that ethos. Saving ~10 Kg is meaningless. Take out 50 Kg, put in manual windows, light glass, no rear seats, the NA engine.... price it at $99K, then you've got a category killer.

We WILL see the 4L NA engine in a 911. Mark my words. Perhaps not in a T, but it's going to be there with some kind of electric motor assist. Again, Porsche didn't develop it solely for the Cayman/Boxster -- Andreas said that directly at the launch of the GT4 at Goodwood in 2019.
The following 2 users liked this post by Surge74:
ducktails (03-01-2021), Guaji (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 05:31 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 460 Likes on 186 Posts

Great points, @Alc. I realize this thread is a bit biased ;0) - the main point is that the T was sort of force fit between a base and an S. I consider it a parts-bin special because it could have been so much more.

Recall the US version of the RS America - which was effectively a base 911, but without power steering, without power windows, and other options removed. It was cheaper, lighter, faster. And it's now a hugely valuable collector.
THAT'S what the T should have been!

And that's what I'm hoping the 992 T will be -- at least closer to that ethos. Saving ~10 Kg is meaningless. Take out 50 Kg, put in manual windows, light glass, no rear seats, the NA engine.... price it at $99K, then you've got a category killer.

We WILL see the 4L NA engine in a 911. Mark my words. Perhaps not in a T, but it's going to be there with some kind of electric motor assist. Again, Porsche didn't develop it solely for the Cayman/Boxster -- Andreas said that directly at the launch of the GT4 at Goodwood in 2019.
+1 on NA 4.0 with mild hybrid assist. Razor sharp throttle response, N/A noise, great power and Tq. Definitely a better fit for GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by ducktails:
SFZ GT3 (03-06-2021), Surge74 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 05:32 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
+1 on NA 4.0 with mild hybrid assist. Razor sharp throttle response, N/A noise, great power and Tq. Definitely a better fit for GTS.
If this happens, I would trade in my 991.2 T for sure. That would be a blast.
Surge74 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:15 PM
Alc
Racer

Surge74,
excellent prediction on the electric assist! now that would be a huge leap in performance in the 911 but with it comes the dreaded weight which would be a challenge for the T to overcome without significant use of expensive lightweight compounds or removal of the electric assist. Especially since the 3.0 engines are so incredibly capable (+600 hp) with zero additional engineering costs just a tune. I love the idea of the 911 lightweight NA and share your enthusiasm but I struggle to see how to get there without the weight. I guess maybe if all the engines are 4.0 with varying levels of electric assist to control HP for Porsches marketing (base, S, GTS).

no bias here, I’m new to the Porsche world and relish simplicity and basics which is what drew me to the T.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Surge74
Racer

Originally Posted by Alc
Surge74,
excellent prediction on the electric assist! now that would be a huge leap in performance in the 911 but with it comes the dreaded weight which would be a challenge for the T to overcome without significant use of expensive lightweight compounds or removal of the electric assist. Especially since the 3.0 engines are so incredibly capable (+600 hp) with zero additional engineering costs just a tune. I love the idea of the 911 lightweight NA and share your enthusiasm but I struggle to see how to get there without the weight. I guess maybe if all the engines are 4.0 with varying levels of electric assist to control HP for Porsches marketing (base, S, GTS).

no bias here, I’m new to the Porsche world and relish simplicity and basics which is what drew me to the T.
Yes, agreed. I think the 991.2 T is awesome. Other than the 991.2 GT3 Touring, it would have been my choice.
I drove a 992 base Carrera and didn't love it at all. I drove a 991.2 T and fell in love.

BUT... it can be even better. A true Clubsport / RS America, that doesn't cost a ton just because Porsche likes to milk its customers (e.g., let'd do a convertible GT3 Touring and charge 3X more!).

The hybrid drive is coming whether we like it or not. At least if it comes with naturally aspirated engines, it's more palpable.
Remove Before Race recently talked about why displacement will go up, not down, with electrification. I've been meaning to watch that episode to the end, as I don't recall his rationale; but it seemed sound.Something to do with fuel economy legislation and engine displacement.

Last edited by Surge74; 03-01-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Alc
Racer

One of these days I need to get my car on a scale to figure out the weight. It’s hard to say what lightweight is these days especially when we start talking performance. For example, RAS weighs more but has performance advantages. Does anyone know the weight difference between the 3.0tt and the 4.0 because that would be the only true weight savings available.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club