Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 12:10 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
The bedding process went well, and the brakes feel really great. There is a 5 mile hill which we drove down in a pretty spirited way, going from 60-5mph. I just don’t remember how the brakes felt before! Just a warning if you take on this BBK job. I’m shaking the car up a bit and will bleed one more time before my next track day next weekend.
Awesome. Very excited to hear about the track day!
Old 06-26-2020, 12:10 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mr gregash
Hopefully I can help here as I owned a 991.2S with a manual and a 991.2 T with PDK. I much preferred the T with PDK. I find that with these small displacement boosted engines, the manuals just don’t do it for me. PDK in the T made it feel faster than the manual on the S and generally loved the T overall. Funny you mention the Spyder bc I have a GT4 coming.
same reason i went PDK. manual and turbo engines doesn't do it for me. the PDK is much better at keeping it in range, and i don't feel like these cars feel as NA as everyone loves to pretend they do. i too was looking at extremely high spec S and went T. they were $3,000 apart. S and T is just a different Tune. GTS is a different story.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:20 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by CarAholic
For those of you with a PDK T was it worth it to you over an S? The reason I ask is I am debating this same question now. For the same money or slightly less I can get an S over a T. I was looking at buying a manual T back in 18 but decided to hold out for a new Spyder. Was disappointed in the Spyder release and am back on the hunt for something else. My wife also has to be able to drive the car now so PDK is mandatory.
Currently in that same boat. However, it's a PDK S vs a PDK T. So I get more pushback on getting the T just because it doesn't have the manual. Losing LSD/PTV+, shorter gearing; apparently makes the T more of a base model car with GT options (lightweight glass, buckets, door pulls). That being said, I'm still mixed on which one to go for. I have a 992S on order, due to arrive in September; but I am seriously considering the PDK T regardless of people telling me it's just an overkill base model. I could care less at this point. It really comes down to the driving experience!

In my case, 992S has a high end luxury cabin, feels large, and it more inline with a grand-tourer that you can track on occasion. The 991.2T has throwback charm inside the cabin, smaller & more nimble feel on the roads, and still has plenty of power for occasional track use. It may not be as much as an S, but the buckets will have you taking turns & pulling out of the apex faster than a bucket-less car IMO. So to me, it comes down to THIS: Do you want a luxury GT car that has more power & capable for track & spirited driving use? Or do you want a throwback interior, and a raw driving experience with more engine note, that can still track with possibly MORE spirited driving.

Tough decision when you're looking for a long term keeper. The T is a less common car as well with less than 1000 total units being produced in the U.S. between MY18/MY19
Old 06-26-2020, 12:51 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lamacan
same reason i went PDK. manual and turbo engines doesn't do it for me. the PDK is much better at keeping it in range, and i don't feel like these cars feel as NA as everyone loves to pretend they do. i too was looking at extremely high spec S and went T. they were $3,000 apart. S and T is just a different Tune. GTS is a different story.
in a high revving NA car, I’ll take manual...though PDK in them is also great but manual fits these type of cars better. PDK suits turbo cars best and is actually more fun IMO.
PDK is nothing short of incredible and I wouldn’t be that upset if Porsche went PDK only in Its sports cars.
The following users liked this post:
lamacan (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:53 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

in a high revving NA car, I’ll take manual...though PDK in them is also great but manual fits these type of cars better. PDK suits turbo cars best and is actually more fun IMO.
PDK is nothing short of incredible
and I wouldn’t be that upset if Porsche went PDK only in Its sports cars.
agree.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:32 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

PDK is nothing short of incredible and I wouldn’t be that upset if Porsche went PDK only in Its sports cars.

To each there own. I prefer a manual in any 911. My ‘14 911 had pdk and I was bored by it. Sold it for a manual. Great transmission but not for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by 737gdog:
GT3FZS (06-26-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020), spyderbret (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:45 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

The PDK-S box is compelling. Getting out of gear by pulling both paddles makes it closer to manual control, albeit a clunky and disconnected way to do it. I gather that feature is on regular PDK's now, as part of sport chrono or other option combos. PDK's are good and manuals are good. We buy and use what makes us happy and fits our needs.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:45 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 737gdog
To each there own. I prefer a manual in any 911. My ‘14 911 had pdk and I was bored by it. Sold it for a manual. Great transmission but not for me.
yeah i think we're more making the point about NA v. FI cars.

NA, manual all the way, i agree with you in the 2014.

in the turbo cars, i prefer the PDK.

also just depends what you're using for. i would never want a manual for the track or daily. for a mountain, manual all the way.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:53 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

yeah i think we're more making the point about NA v. FI cars.

NA, manual all the way, i agree with you in the 2014.

in the turbo cars, i prefer the PDK.

also just depends what you're using for. i would never want a manual for the track or daily. for a mountain, manual all the way.
It's funny, I think the opposite. In a turbo car, there is so much torque across the rev range, that I find those engines a little more forgiving if I am in the wrong gear. In a NA car, being the the "perfect" gear seems a little more important, as it's easy to lug the engine if you are not in the perfect rev range. The PDK always has you in the perfect gear.

To each their own - so glad we have choices on which transmissions to get!
anythingbuttime (06-28-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 03:17 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Klepper
It's funny, I think the opposite. In a turbo car, there is so much torque across the rev range, that I find those engines a little more forgiving if I am in the wrong gear. In a NA car, being the the "perfect" gear seems a little more important, as it's easy to lug the engine if you are not in the perfect rev range. The PDK always has you in the perfect gear.

To each their own - so glad we have choices on which transmissions to get!
and on that note, i am about to place an order for a 718 GT4 PDK. can't wait. we'll be garage brothers.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:18 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

I was not impressed with the pdk until my first drive in the N. GA mountains. Sport + and shifts near redline were pretty amazing. Aggressive and I enjoyed the mechanical noise as well. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either trans. or any 911. Had a homeless guy asking for money at a light today give me a thumbs up to my T. Just happy and fortunate to own one. Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

and on that note, i am about to place an order for a 718 GT4 PDK. can't wait. we'll be garage brothers.
Haha, yes we will. My wife has a Macan also, so our garages are nearly identical!
Old 06-27-2020, 07:56 AM
lngebrown
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for an S but I have the T with PDK and RWS and I love it. When I attended the Porsche school in Alabama they were all PDK's and I know it made the laps much easier. I have had a lot of stick cars and I'm done with them. Unless of course, an old classic became available.
lamacan (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:13 PM
mrracinstylez
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the 991.2 T the same width as the 991.2 GTS?
Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrracinstylez
Is the 991.2 T the same width as the 991.2 GTS?
no. GTS is widebody like a C4S/GT3. T is narrow body like the base model. the 991.2T/Base is the last narrow body 911 that was produced.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club