991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019 | 01:14 PM
991.2T
Intermediate

Apollo: Amen to that...and you have a beautiful car that offers a more special experience due to the sunroof. I bet you can notice the sunroof open way more than others can feel their weight/center of gravity difference.
The following 4 users liked this post by 991.2T:
Apollo Falcon (10-17-2019), GT3FZS (11-20-2019), Jeahbladejeah (02-18-2020), K-Nut (10-20-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 01:15 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
@Tgavem,

I was also at COTA! First time at the track period. To do it in my T and at COTA was a dream come true. I am literally addicted. Seriously, it is like I injected adrenaline straight to my veins...and this is coming from someone who has flown in fighter aircraft.

Congrats to the new T owners. Welcome! I'm excited people are active again on the thread.

A couple things...and people can be as critical as they want to me. I am tired of hearing this "properly spec'd" crap. Properly spec'd for whom and what? For example, I believe my T is absolutely "properly spec'd" for me and daily driving as well as carving up the Hill Country: MT (w/ diff), RAS, basic brakes, T package 4-way seats, and wait for it...METAL SUNROOF. Thats right...I absolutely love a sunroof for my daily and weekend driving. To me, coming from a Jeep Wrangler, I love popping that portion of my roof and getting the sun and air when I have a really hard day at work on the way home and on the weekend on these nice cool days with my heated seats on.

I agree that if I knew I was going to track my car a lot, maybe no sunroof and carbon buckets would be more "properly spec'd". Hopefully, you all get what I'm saying. I actually stopped coming to this thread and Rennlist because strong opinions made me feel like crap about how my T is optioned--like I did something wrong. For example, when I first got my T someone made a garbage comment like, "oh sunroof huh?". I was new to Rennlist and Porsche and 911's so peoples opinions affected me a little...but I'm over it. Just wanted to speak my mind so that if there are others reading this thread and have a PDK or a sunroof and didn't option PCCBs and carbon buckets, its okay, the car still kicks *** on the street and the track. The weight argument and structural integrity argument is moot to me now. As many say elsewhere, your 911 should be for you and not the next owner.

Okay back to pics at COTA!!!
People take themselves too seriously. The T is a road car primarily. You can track it of course but a GT3 is a better tool for that job. I agree that the ethos of the car is supposed to be more basic but there's no harm in getting what you want optioned on the car. My 4 way seats have been great and have never thought to myself that I needed more lateral support that the LWB's provide. Ceramics for me would have been a huge waste of money, no real benefit etc. I drive it around town, commute, sometimes back road fun and taking my wife to dinner. The power is more than enough as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy M:
Apollo Falcon (10-17-2019), matthewlesko (12-20-2020)
Old 10-17-2019 | 01:59 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

I echo the above and have said all along that there is no wrong way to spec the 991.2's 911 Swiss Army Knife, AF. Was wondering where you've been and have missed yeah out in Hill Country!

Way to wring it out and make it your own. Time will tell, what and if any, type of spec is more valued in these things. But if you aren't driving the tyres off of it and loving every second in the mean time, it's an incredible waste. The T was Porsche's gift to us and it's a DRIVECRIME not to exploit it! So let it be written, so let it be done...

Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Apollo Falcon (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 02:08 PM
Apollo Falcon
Instructor

Love it ya'll...good to be back in the fold. Yes, 12K miles later and every mile is like I'm a kid. Seriously, I can have like a tough 14 hour procedure day...walk aimlessly to my T in the parking garage and as soon as I catch a glimpse the day starts melting away...then I turn her on, open up all the windows, put PSE to sport and listen to the engine echo off the garage as I drive away. Some people get it, some don't, but feel blessed to turn that ignition every day Here here to the drivers!
The following 2 users liked this post by Apollo Falcon:
GT3FZS (11-20-2019), Guaji (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 02:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

^^^ +1 to that! Over 21k happy miles covered in my T already. So privileged to own such an awesome car as my daily driver. And especially in sunny Racing Yellow, never fails to make me smile.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wing Commander:
Apollo Falcon (10-17-2019), GT3FZS (11-20-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 03:16 PM
mr gregash
Banned

@Tgavem,

I was also at COTA! First time at the track period. To do it in my T and at COTA was a dream come true. I am literally addicted. Seriously, it is like I injected adrenaline straight to my veins...and this is coming from someone who has flown in fighter aircraft.

Congrats to the new T owners. Welcome! I'm excited people are active again on the thread.

A couple things...and people can be as critical as they want to me. I am tired of hearing this "properly spec'd" crap. Properly spec'd for whom and what? For example, I believe my T is absolutely "properly spec'd" for me and daily driving as well as carving up the Hill Country: MT (w/ diff), RAS, basic brakes, T package 4-way seats, and wait for it...METAL SUNROOF. Thats right...I absolutely love a sunroof for my daily and weekend driving. To me, coming from a Jeep Wrangler, I love popping that portion of my roof and getting the sun and air when I have a really hard day at work on the way home and on the weekend on these nice cool days with my heated seats on.

I agree that if I knew I was going to track my car a lot, maybe no sunroof and carbon buckets would be more "properly spec'd". Hopefully, you all get what I'm saying. I actually stopped coming to this thread and Rennlist because strong opinions made me feel like crap about how my T is optioned--like I did something wrong. For example, when I first got my T someone made a garbage comment like, "oh sunroof huh?". I was new to Rennlist and Porsche and 911's so peoples opinions affected me a little...but I'm over it. Just wanted to speak my mind so that if there are others reading this thread and have a PDK or a sunroof and didn't option PCCBs and carbon buckets, its okay, the car still kicks *** on the street and the track. The weight argument and structural integrity argument is moot to me now. As many say elsewhere, your 911 should be for you and not the next owner.

Congrats on the T! COTA looks great too.

I hear you on the proper spec thing. Coming from a 991.2S in manual, and a 718 GTS in manual, I ended up with a pretty highly spec’d (125k sticker) T with PDK (and sunroof) and I love it. I think PDK mates better to turbo engines personally, and was not a huge fan of the 7 speed manual...and the minimal delta in gearing and the slightly better shift wasn’t enough to make me pass up my car and what was a steal at the time. No matter which way you go, PDK or manual, the T is a pretty special and great car.
Old 10-17-2019 | 03:25 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

John (Apollo Falcon)
excellent points and your car looks fantastic
Yes, I was at COTA Saturday only, I posted this elsewhere so I apologize in advance if people are offended for duplicate posts.
Per IM, let’s coordinate which day to attend in March.

K-Nut (10-20-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 06:00 PM
Apollo Falcon
Instructor

^^ savage! Great line! This actually helps me a lot because I think I was dropping into 3rd too much. I'll IM you about March!
Old 10-17-2019 | 06:02 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

I'm loving these posts and these track pics T arm. I could not agree more about driving a car for a bit until you figure out the areas you want to address if any, like CaymanSinAR posted about.
And options are so personal, as Apollo Falcon referenced and is experiencing. Kudos to you all enjoying your cars and not letting anyone influence what options you value or what model is suited or not suited for track driving. I find these T's on the track very sexy. Maybe even more than a GT car funny enough. And finally, tgavem thanks for posting the track app video. I enjoyed it. As well as the PM'd info on your rotor and brake upgrades. Looking good guys!
Old 10-17-2019 | 06:07 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

@Tgavem,

You opted for the sunroof? What a poser! Enjoy your T.....
Old 10-17-2019 | 07:44 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Originally Posted by 737gdog
You opted for the sunroof? What a poser! Enjoy your T.....
Not sure if you or anyone else read the most recent C&D lightning lap, but the Carrera T Porsche sent was PDK and boy did it lay down a fast time for the HP. 2:53 on summer tires - faster than a 17 R8 V10+, 2019 M5 Comp, etc. the GT3RS on cup tires ran 2:41 for comparison sake.
Old 10-17-2019 | 09:47 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mr gregash
Not sure if you or anyone else read the most recent C&D lightning lap, but the Carrera T Porsche sent was PDK and boy did it lay down a fast time for the HP. 2:53 on summer tires - faster than a 17 R8 V10+, 2019 M5 Comp, etc. the GT3RS on cup tires ran 2:41 for comparison sake.

I saw it and was very impressed. Just having fun with the guy about the sunroof!
mr gregash (10-19-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:44 PM
BA73
Racer

[/QUOTE]
Killer Drive! I'm making the trip out to COTA the first weekend in Nov to catch a little race as a spectator, will be my first time visiting . Now you've made me want to plan a follow up trip to drive!
tgavem (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019 | 12:04 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

I have 2 dumb questions.

1. Does our car in manual have launch control? I came across TheSmokingPipe that just reviewed the new Speedster w/ Manual that has a launch control. Basically puts the car engine at 4k RPM at stand still.

2. Does Carrera T allow shifting without lifting the accelerator pedal? I don't think we can (at least not from my experience but I could be doing it incorrectly). I recall JWW have done it on his GT3 manual as well.
Old 10-18-2019 | 12:09 PM
Guaji
Racer

Originally Posted by .moo.
I have a dumb question. Does our car in manual have launch control? I came across TheSmokingPipe that just reviewed the new Speedster w/ Manual that has a launch control. Basically puts the car engine at 4k RPM at stand still.
No, it does not. I’m almost certain launch control comes only with a PDK and sport chrono ( and flat foot shifting neither).

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club