991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
4 Point 0. You are my hero Sir

my Michelin 4S got chewed up after about 3-4 sessions. I need 2nd set of rims with more track focused tires. Maybe stiffer springs. Too hot in Houston to track, wait for fall.
Yeah, 4S are ok on the street, but overheat fast at the track. I tore a bead on the cup2's. I am driving a lot harder these days. I have always sworn by Cup2's, but it appears the sidewall is too soft for hard tracking.

Next track day is 10th June. Excited to see how the TrofeoR performs, as it is supposed to have a much stiffer side wall. A few guys in my group are testing Nankang AR1. They are 1/3 the price, so disposable for tracking.
They come in 20's and GTS/GT3 sizes. So the next step for me will be get some BBS FI-R's and use the OEM wheels as track wheels.

I was running Pagid Yellow on front and Circo on rear (As I couldn't get yellow for rear) It was great for track, but they squealed bad on the street. The new BBK is silent. But it only has the FM1000 that brembo use. It doesn't have the initial bite. It won't handle extreme heat, however because they are 380 and 380 and a lot more vanes and mass, I am hoping that cooling will be enough.

I will give them ago. Maybe Pagid Blue would be a good all rounder street/sprint. I don't really want to change pads for track if I don't have to. If I test the Blue, they can be run on the rear all the time, and maybe just put Yellow on the front for track and change back to front blue on the street. 1st world problems.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:23 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Tried out out new pads - on another Porsche, Project Mu HC16-03 excellent pad.
Excellent for? Are they just track or street and track? Do they squeal. RSL29 are awesome for the track, but I hate them on the street fr squeal. They work fine even when cold, they just squeal like a city council bus.
I'm enjoying the silence of FM1000 for awhile.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:42 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 653 Posts

They are a dedicated track pad, great initial bite, narrow modulation window, and not bad from cold - but they do squeal a lot - makes the 29s sound quiet.

http://pmuracing.com/pad-compound/metallic/h16-03/

You will have fun with the Trofeo Rs - just be careful in the wet.

On another note, I have had a set of MPSC2N1 delaminate - wasn't amused - they were replaced gratis.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

You will have fun with the Trofeo Rs - just be careful in the wet.

On another note, I have had a set of MPSC2N1 delaminate - wasn't amused - they were replaced gratis.
I checked the one of mine that the bead delaminated and it was an N1. I had originally thought it was an N0, but it is an N1 also. I just don't think the Cup2 are up to heavy tracking. The sidewall is too soft. They are excellent on the street. I don't even have a problem with the in the wet.

I am interested to see what the trofeo R's are like in the wet. Its hot here 9 months of the year. Mostly dry. So not much rain. 10th June next big track day. Can't wait. Tractive has not arrived yet, but still hoping it will be here before the 10th.

I am interested to see if the FM1000 that comes with Brembo BBK will be up to the task. With the extra mass of the 380's all round and extra vanes, I am hoping that is enough cooling so they won't over heat. I really don't want to go back to squeal city. I am thinking trying pagid blues first before jumping back to yellows.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:35 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 653 Posts

Well, I went and did the ultimate upgrade - just purchased a 991 II GT3 RS - got a great deal on a new car that a sale had fallen through on. Got tired of waiting for the new GT4 and although it will be good it won't be an RS and may not be available until the end of Q1 2020.

The idea being this will be my track/Tarmac car for the next few years. This is not a reflection on the 991 II GTS which has proven itself to be truly formidable, perhaps the ultimate cross over car if used wisely.

Sadly, and with some regret I have had to let the GTS go as I have only space for 4 cars (I know the ultimate first world problem). So I have rationalised to the 981 GTS, GT3 RS, 720S and my trusty prodrive STI.

So, as a conclusion where did I find the sweet spot to be - simple, RAS, SPASM, quality brake pads - best all rounder Pagid RSL29, modest alignment -1 at front -1.4 at rear, high T brake fluid (all much of a muchness) and tires - generally Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N1 (as an all rounder). The selection isn't great and hopefully the Cup 2 R will trickle down. I never found power and torque to be lacking, the biggest limiter in performance was the lack of tire choice.

Good luck to all and enjoy that wonderful 3l twin in whichever guise - it's a great engine.😀👍 I'll report back when I have some seat time and do a real comparison with lots of data.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
4 Point 0. You are my hero Sir

my Michelin 4S got chewed up after about 3-4 sessions. I need 2nd set of rims with more track focused tires. Maybe stiffer springs. Too hot in Houston to track, wait for fall.
I'm just going to leave this here.

4Point0 Tractive
Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

So I did a track day with the BremboGTS BBK kit fitted with the FM1000 brake pads. They are awesome on the street. Zero squeal. Even my OEM brakes squealed.

I just eye balled the pads after the track day. Just roughly it looks like i used 40% of the front brake pads. However It only looks like 10% of the rears. That's great progress.

So really its just about pad selection now. Pagid blue can handle more heat than the FM1000, and are very street friendly. So I will start at Blue. If there is no squeal, I may try the orange on the front. If that is still not enough, I may have to swap to Yellow at front on track days, and back to blue on the street. Pagid says the blue can be run on the rear at all times, even of orange or Yellow up front.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:47 PM
JT_
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread that I read from beginning to end.

I will be tracking my new to me 2017 4S (SC, rear axle steering, PDK, H&R springs, studs conversion, Sharkwerks catback, no engine mods YET - reading this thread confirmed I should COBB the car and chances are I will, regardless of the warranty) for the first time in Circuit Mont Tremblant up north in Quebec, Canada.

Coming from a 2015 M3 (coilovers, Stage 1 tune, Toyo R888R's that I really didn't like, the Pilot Sport 4S were better yet they do get hot much faster, they'll be fine for the first day and sessions are only 20-minutes), I can't wait to see what the car can do. I was also officially bumped from the Advanced group to Pro with the club I drive with, so it's all very exciting.

I'm no data freak like many here, but I will report on personal feeling anc comparisons with other cars on the track.

And again, thanks for everyone involved in this thread, it's great to be able to learn so much about our cars from all the shared knowledge.

Last edited by JT_; 06-18-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:32 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I'm just going to leave this here.

4Point0 Tractive
That is sexy.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,895 Likes on 790 Posts

Just completed first Tarmac rally of the season and am booked in for a two day sprint series next week.

Also contemplating adding a .2 RS to the stable but balancing the potential of the new GT4 or a gut-able .2 GT3 with that decision. Lots of options - all good. 😀

Tried out out new pads - on another Porsche, Project Mu HC16-03 excellent pad. GTS is also ready to rumble😀
I had no idea Project Mu made Porsche applications. Do they make this for a base 991.2 C2?? Had great experiences with them on my WRX back in the day.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,895 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
Those who track their PDKs (991s) - are any of you changing your PDK tranny fluid earlier than the stunningly high 120,000 mile interval in the Porsche maintenance schedule?

If so, how soon are you changing it?
My PDK had a failure, so it got a fluid change early
Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I had no idea Project Mu made Porsche applications. Do they make this for a base 991.2 C2?? Had great experiences with them on my WRX back in the day.
We had Project Mu on our championship winning 3.8L Cayman and they make a ton of Porsche shapes.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We had Project Mu on our championship winning 3.8L Cayman and they make a ton of Porsche shapes.
Not trying to change the discussion, but what would your brake pad recommendation be for a 991.2 S/GTS used mostly street, to reduce OEM steel brake dust - without sqealing like garbage truck brakes?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Not trying to change the discussion, but what would your brake pad recommendation be for a 991.2 S/GTS used mostly street, to reduce OEM steel brake dust - without sqealing like garbage truck brakes?
It's more on track talking about pads for the 991.2 so no need to apologize! The issue is that you want pads with more ceramic material and less metallic content to keep the ABS happy and avoid excessive pedal intrusion; in doing so, you get squeaky street stuff until you beat them up. Having said that, I've had the best results with the pads I'm running on the car now which are Brembo RE10s. If my guys at Friction One eventually make something then we will transition to those for tuning purposes but I would try the RE10s. I haven't gone back to a Pagid in 7 years and it used to be all we ever ran. The PMU will have too much torque for a non-race application or a setup with insufficient cooling.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

I would not recommend RE-10's as a street pad. They are quiet cold (first 3-4 stops), get noisy when they are warm (most street driving), then quiet on the track. They stay quiet for a few days after a bedding/track day. And they are almost as dirty as OEM.

I swap them out for their little brother TS-20's for the street. No noise and minimal dust. $300 cheaper than RE-10, but still pricey for a street pad!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread