Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Details about the special base layer please for the tint
Old 10-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Details about the special base layer please for the tint
Since I was doing the PPF and tint, the tint installer was not there when I did pick up. I found some issues with the back and he is doing a re-install. When I see him this week I will get specifics on the exact material. The windows are poly and expand and contract much more than real glass. This requires that base layer to ensure longevity.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:19 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
Since I was doing the PPF and tint, the tint installer was not there when I did pick up. I found some issues with the back and he is doing a re-install. When I see him this week I will get specifics on the exact material. The windows are poly and expand and contract much more than real glass. This requires that base layer to ensure longevity.
cool thank, all information is good for the community
Old 10-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Okay here is the "low down" on Gorilla Glass tinting. This glass is of course called several names: "poly glass", "lightweight glass", "GT glass". This is essentially to glass on the back of your iPhone but in our cars now. It is harder and clearer than traditional glass but also more forgiving in flexibility and thermal dynamics. Essentially, it expands and contracts easier. So here are my thoughts, research, and final product (see photos). Hopefully, this post can serve as a reference because it was nearly impossible for me to get a straight answer anywhere.

NB: To Tint OR Not To Tint?: Let me first state that not tinting is also a good option if you aren't in a place that is triple digits for almost 4 months of the year (which I am in Texas) and if you don't mind the fishbowl feel. I personally feel comfortable in a modestly tinted vehicle and do like the look (with non-classic 911s of course).

1. Blister Free Base Layer Film: Because of the properties of the Gorilla Glass, a "blister free" film base layer is needed. If you troll the GT threads, you can find a couple posts where owners who have tinted have had to re-tint several times in a year. This is because of the dynamic properties of the Gorilla Glass expanding and contracting causing the tint film to lift.

2. Type of Tint: I am very particular, likely OCD about everything. I wanted a specific tint and living in Texas I went to the source and the headquarters of Xpel. I new I wanted ceramic tint so I went with the best, for clarity on the inside, color, and heat rejection: Xpel Prime XR Black. Wont interfere with bluetooth and radar when compared to metallic films.

3. Shades of Grey (or Black): %VLT. God the debate over this on Rennlist is exhaustive. I needed the look but didn't need that "murdered out" appearance I see all over the place with Camaros and Challengers. This is a Porsche 911 after all. Keep in mind that every tint will have a different look and darkness. For me, 35% was as far as I would go on the sides (meaning front and rear sides). I debated back and forth on the big rear, which is nearly horizontal and perfect for headlights to light up my cabin. With assistance from Xpel, I decide on 20% for the rear and kept my fingers crossed it would look good.

4. Prep: The special glass should be treated with care. No harsh scrub for prep. Lightly cleaned with a towel is what I was told from the installer.

5. Installation: Installer (Andrew) explained that with the base layer that only low or light slip solution is needed.

6. Outcome: overall pretty happy. The sides are perfect. The rear I debated for a while but then realized that when looking from behind, when the light comes through the front windshield, the shade blends perfectly when compared to the sides. With the Gorilla Glass there is NO RAISED DOT MATRIX like the other 911 models, so it looks good...I mean damn good (like almost factory). As far as seeing out, not an issue at all with this particular tint visibility is great night or day.

Check out the pictures below from all angles is low-light conditions: Let me know what you think or PM for questions. I'm flying to CHI this week so I might be away from Rennlist for a bit. I'll also leave you with a pic of my 911 evolution shirt from Artlinesdesign.com which I love.

Installer: Andre @ San Antonio Xpel 210.584.2325

Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

So I spent a lot of time with a detailed post and it was lost. Long story short:

1. Gorilla Glass needs a Blister Free Film base layer because of the dynamic thermal properties (expanding and contracting).
2. I used Xpel Prime XR Black (ceramic performs better with heat rejection and does not interfere with cell, bluetooth, and radar detectors + I think it looks better than metallic).
3. Do not scrub the glass but clean lightly with a towel for prep.
4. Use low or light slip solution on the base layer.
5. Because of the particular product appearance and the Texas heat I went with 35% sides and 20% rear glass.
6. Outcome: I love it. Perfect amount of privacy but not tastelessly "murdered out". With the light coming through the windshield, the rear matches perfectly. No raised dot matrix on the Gorilla Glass makes the tint look real real good. Like factory looking good. With this particular product, I can easily see outside without any issues (night or day).
7. See the pictures and let me know what you think.

I got this done at Xpel headquarters in San Antonio with Andrew (210-584-2325)

Old 10-17-2018, 03:10 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

So I spent a lot of time with a detailed post and it was lost. Long story short:
1. Gorilla Glass needs a Blister Free Film base layer because of the dynamic thermal properties (expanding and contracting).
2. I used Xpel Prime XR Black (ceramic performs better with heat rejection and does not interfere with cell, bluetooth, and radar detectors + I think it looks better than metallic).
3. Do not scrub the glass but clean lightly with a towel for prep.
4. Use low or light slip solution on the base layer.
5. Because of the particular product appearance and the Texas heat I went with 35% sides and 20% rear glass.
6. Outcome: I love it. Perfect amount of privacy but not tastelessly "murdered out". With the light coming through the windshield, the rear matches perfectly. No raised dot matrix on the Gorilla Glass makes the tint look real real good. Like factory looking good. With this particular product, I can easily see outside without any issues (night or day).
7. See the pictures and let me know what you think.
I got this done at Xpel headquarters in San Antonio with Andrew (210-584-2325)
Looks really, really good. Thanks for this info!

S
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Thanks Apollo - Car looks great and thank you for all the info.

I shared it with my installer and he said he is aware of this
Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

I am planning to do a very light tint as the car has such a beautiful interior with the deviated stitching. I am going to be looking at 55% to 70% all around.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Old 10-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Hey ya'll! So after bugging Airtlines Design they were happy to make an awesome and tasteful 991.2 Carrera T T-shirt! I ordered one of their 911 evolution shirts and its great quality (super soft and comfy). I ordered a couple already. They even drew the sport wheels for Cyberbug

https://www.artlinesdesign.com/produ...rera-t-t-shirt
Old 10-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Hey ya'll! So after bugging Airtlines Design they were happy to make an awesome and tasteful 991.2 Carrera T T-shirt! I ordered one of their 911 evolution shirts and its great quality (super soft and comfy). I ordered a couple already. They even drew the sport wheels for Cyberbug

okay I'll order a few
Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Total 911 atricle on CT.

Dates back to December but not sure I saw it posted here. Good read with interesting observations on how to spec.

https://www.total911.com/porsche-911-carrera-t-first-drive-verdict/
Old 10-20-2018, 02:26 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

but no Carrera T logo in the sill decal, and not the right wheels, for most people’s cars. Oh well.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlpineR

but no Carrera T logo in the sill decal, and not the right wheels, for most people’s cars. Oh well.
It does have the side decal, or at lease looks like it. I'll let you know in person. Yeah those wheels are on the Carrera S shirts.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Still some after-work daylight left...

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>