Sponsored by:

>>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018 | 02:11 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Winter tires.... lol
Yeah I know I just can’t bring myself to expose my beautiful 911 to the road salt and potholes that winter brings to northern Illinois!
Old 09-03-2018 | 02:19 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Cmon man, we'll do it together. We're gonna go to the looney bin staring at it for 5 months in the garage. Fwiw the porsche techs said the underside of 991s doesnt look too bad even if you daily it in the winter.
Old 09-03-2018 | 05:30 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Cmon man, we'll do it together. We're gonna go to the looney bin staring at it for 5 months in the garage. Fwiw the porsche techs said the underside of 991s doesnt look too bad even if you daily it in the winter.

+1. My T has covered 6,475 miles already since April 6th!

Next month I’ll be swapping over to my 19” Carrera winter wheels/tyres!

My T is a 52-week car!
Old 09-03-2018 | 05:57 PM
joshd
Instructor

I'm super excited to join the T owners club with a pending PEC delivery in LA in early October! It probably sounds crazy to some, and others claim it's just a marketing exercise, but I think it's one of the best deals on a new sports car out there today. The fact that you can have the carbon fixed-back buckets, rear-axle steering, manual trans with short throw shifter and shorter final drive, mechanical diff, sport chrono without the wart, 20mm lowered PASM, and rear seat delete in a non-GT car that actual humans can buy is a fantastic "gift" from Porsche in my opinion. The marketing exercise clearly worked on me! I see it as a baby GT3 touring. The fact that it's down on power is easily remedied thanks to it being a turbo car with the exact same motor as a GTS (just a smaller compressor wheel is the only difference AFAIK).

This will be my second Porsche ... I sold a 996 GT3 to buy this car! The GT3 was by far the best car I've ever owned (and the first to appreciate), but I wanted more of a daily driver that I could track occasionally versus a track car that I rarely drove.

Here's my build FWIW:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKBYLKW7

My first track event is scheduled for 8 days after delivery at Laguna Seca! So any break-in will have to occur on the drive from LA to Monterey ...

Some things I'm considering after delivery:

- full PPF versus front facing surfaces ... very tempted to go with a full XPEL stealth install which will give it a matte look ...
- big brake upgrade since I will be tracking it. Not sure if I can just fit the S brakes? I've read through a few threads but not clear on the best option yet ...
- @Alex_c I love that classic 911T badge for the rear grill slats ... is that a Porsche part that you can order or buy aftermarket somewhere? Couldn't find the details on that yet ...
- I'm liking the matte black steering wheel inserts ...
- side markers ... do they actually come with yellow lenses from the factory?? If so, that will have to go ...
- ultimately I will be very tempted to upgrade the turbos and intercoolers given how easy it is to make big power with the 3.0L TT ...

Last edited by joshd; 09-03-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:39 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Originally Posted by joshd
My first track event is scheduled for 8 days after delivery at Laguna Seca! So any break-in will have to occur on the drive from LA to Monterey ...

- full PPF versus front facing surfaces ... very tempted to go with a full XPEL stealth install which will give it a matte look ...
- big brake upgrade since I will be tracking it. Not sure if I can just fit the S brakes? I've read through a few threads but not clear on the best option yet ...
- @Alex_c I love that classic 911T badge for the rear grill slats ... is that a Porsche part that you can order or buy aftermarket somewhere? Couldn't find the details on that yet ...
- side markers ... do they actually come with yellow lenses from the factory?? If so, that will have to go ...
- ultimately I will be very tempted to upgrade the turbos and intercoolers given how easy it is to make big power with the 3.0L TT ...
Awesome and enjoy! Not sure I am bold enough to do a track day 8 days post delivery, but I think it's awesome! As to your list:
- you would need to do the entire car if going Stealth
- I have seen some large rotor options, but not a full S brake package yet - this is why I went with PCCB
- Side markers are orange in the US, you can order the clears and it should be mandatory
- Don't upgrade the turbos, just get a tune - GIAC or Cobb - for a ton of quick spooling power!

Enjoy and share lots of pics! Some of us have longer to wait (Dec/Jan for me).
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:44 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

I'm super excited to join the T owners club with a pending PEC delivery in LA in early October! ...
- side markers ... do they actually come with yellow lenses from the factory?? If so, that will have to go...
Yee haa....

Another GT Silver, LWB, etc. We’ve got similar cars. But, can’t wait to see your blacked out wheels. Yes, you’ll need to order the side lights (US cars come with yellow.)
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:53 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

+1. My T has covered 6,475 miles already since April 6th!

Next month I’ll be swapping over to my 19” Carrera winter wheels/tyres!

My T is a 52-week car!
I've always winter driven my 911's! Not a single rust issue in over 7 years...my 911 T will be daily driven as well.

Cam
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:55 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Hi Josh, welcome and congrats.
I came from a 6GT3 as well and I’m very happy w this car. I plan to track as well but probably only 2-3 times per year.

The gear gear locations are a little different, so from muscle memory from the 6,I would recomend you spend a few more days in the car before tracking it. The shifter is butter smooth like the 6 after about 5-700 miles.
For the 6 I upgraded the rear brakes from 330 to 350 with a simple 12mm dogbone, I had Brembo floating rotors. I hope I can do similar for the T. I’m still behind on this research. Also, in the 6 I had a roll bar but plan to use a hybrid HANS in this car as I like the open feel wo a roll bar.

In time, I am likely to tune the car as well; GIAC tune, AMS Alpha intercooler, AMS air filter, IDP plenum, and center radiator kit. Should bring the car to 450hp and torque.

Suncoast have white markets and it takes 5 min to replace.
Old 09-03-2018 | 07:17 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

Yee haa....

Another GT Silver, LWB, etc. We’ve got similar cars. But, can’t wait to see your blacked out wheels. Yes, you’ll need to order the side lights (US cars come with yellow.)
It's funny ... I spent so much time on the configurator before I locked it in with this spec, but still if I could do it over I would probably go with Guards Red with the red deviated stitching instead of silver/silver. I've come to believe that the car is best specced in one of the four standard colors, especially the bolder red and yellow.

I'm also kinda nervous on the leather trim inserts ... I ordered those sight unseen and now I'm wondering if I'll really like them better than the glossy black pieces.

I think I've been waiting for this car for too long!!!
Old 09-03-2018 | 07:41 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgavem
Hi Josh, welcome and congrats.
I came from a 6GT3 as well and I’m very happy w this car. I plan to track as well but probably only 2-3 times per year.

The gear gear locations are a little different, so from muscle memory from the 6,I would recomend you spend a few more days in the car before tracking it. The shifter is butter smooth like the 6 after about 5-700 miles.
For the 6 I upgraded the rear brakes from 330 to 350 with a simple 12mm dogbone, I had Brembo floating rotors. I hope I can do similar for the T. I’m still behind on this research. Also, in the 6 I had a roll bar but plan to use a hybrid HANS in this car as I like the open feel wo a roll bar.

In time, I am likely to tune the car as well; GIAC tune, AMS Alpha intercooler, AMS air filter, IDP plenum, and center radiator kit. Should bring the car to 450hp and torque.

Suncoast have white markets and it takes 5 min to replace.
Thanks!

Regarding the brakes, I guess I'm just not sure how well the 4-piston calipers in the front will work compared to the 6 pots we had on the 6GT3. I had PF then Girodisc rotors with PF pads on mine and they were eyeball-ripping great and never faded on the track.

I've tuned every turbo car that I've ever owned and will definitely be purchasing a Cobb Accessport ASAP. It's just too much horsepower too easily achieved and it feels like a waste not to do! I know purists will disagree, but it's an especially excellent opportunity for the base motor since we know the exact same engine can handle 450hp+ in the GTS. The problem is that it's an addiction and you always get used to what you have, which is why I'm sure I'll be tempted to go with a simple bolt-on hybrid turbo upgrade for even more power.

Regarding the parts list, my understanding is the that there are benefits to be had from replacing the restrictive turbo inlets as well.
Old 09-03-2018 | 08:59 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

I'm super excited to join the T owners club with a pending PEC delivery in LA in early October! It probably sounds crazy to some, and others claim it's just a marketing exercise, but I think it's one of the best deals on a new sports car out there today. The fact that you can have the carbon fixed-back buckets, rear-axle steering, manual trans with short throw shifter and shorter final drive, mechanical diff, sport chrono without the wart, 20mm lowered PASM, and rear seat delete in a non-GT car that actual humans can buy is a fantastic "gift" from Porsche in my opinion. The marketing exercise clearly worked on me! I see it as a baby GT3 touring. The fact that it's down on power is easily remedied thanks to it being a turbo car with the exact same motor as a GTS (just a smaller compressor wheel is the only difference AFAIK).

This will be my second Porsche ... I sold a 996 GT3 to buy this car! The GT3 was by far the best car I've ever owned (and the first to appreciate), but I wanted more of a daily driver that I could track occasionally versus a track car that I rarely drove.

Here's my build FWIW:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKBYLKW7

Hi Joshd,

The 911T badge is an original Porsche part that you can get from a dealer.

I bought it online from Porsche Atlanta Perimeter. Here's the part number:

P/N: 90155931122
Price EA: $59.72
Description: Logo chrome INSIGNIA 911T

By the way, I actually did a post with full details on how to install it.

Here's the link: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1067...mple-task.html

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2018 | 11:33 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by alex_c
Hi Joshd,

The 911T badge is an original Porsche part that you can get from a dealer.

I bought it online from Porsche Atlanta Perimeter. Here's the part number:

P/N: 90155931122
Price EA: $59.72
Description: Logo chrome INSIGNIA 911T

By the way, I actually did a post with full details on how to install it.

Here's the link: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1067...mple-task.html

Hope this helps.
Thank you! I actually found your threads after I posted which were all fun to read and full of great ideas for mods!
Old 09-03-2018 | 11:36 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Thank you! I actually found your threads after I posted which were all fun to read and full of great ideas for mods!
Thank you for your kind words! Glad to help.
Old 09-04-2018 | 12:39 AM
MDJAK
Advanced

Quick question about a possible anomaly or feature I’m unaware of.

As I was washing my T at a self wash using the wand sprayer, every time I hit the Porsche badge on the frunk, the damn lid opened. Needless to say I have the cleanest underside lid around.

Also, as I was exiting a parking lot uphill, I had to stop, put it in park, open door so I could reach to put the parking stub in the machine so the arm would lift so I could exit. As I opened my door and stepped out, the alarm went off. Man, is that loud. Holy crap.

The alarm also also went off while parked and locked on the return trip on the ferry, but not on the way there.

I hate car alarms. I find them useless and nothing but annoying.
Old 09-04-2018 | 12:53 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

You have ‘entry and drive’? Check out the end (35 secs) of this video. You have the key in your pocket and are moving your hand around the badge.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...a/exterior/269

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>