Sponsored by:

>>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MDJAK
Am I blind, or is there no like button on this forum? Hmm. Thank you, sir.
incredible all the way around...car, garage, photography skills etc. T is awesome. Love it in white as well congrats!

Last edited by Boulder Mike; 08-24-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Waiting on my registration to come in the mail. Applied Wolf's Nano Coat to all windows tonight.

Heading to Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Cabot's Trail this Sunday in the T.
Cant wait to hear your impressions vs c4. It takes a few hundred miles for the car to wake up and loosen up a bit. Be safe and I hope you have a blast.
PS no like button is weird coming from MF. I go over there a few times a week just to click it... lol
Old 08-25-2018, 01:30 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Am I blind, or is there no like button on this forum? Hmm. Thank you, sir.
Nice car!!!! Welcome to the club.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,257 Likes on 465 Posts

Very smart Carrera T, MDJAK! Congrats! And enjoy your trip...!
Old 08-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been going back and forth with what is my favorite color on a carerra t...but I think MDJAK confirmed it for me, white it is. Looks stunning and congrats to you!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:22 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to look at both the white and white metallic. I got the white metallic because compared to the bright white, it has a bit of a grey tone which I personally think goes really well with the agate grey. Good luck with your choice!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:56 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Thanks vtrick ... bit of ridiculous article and conclusion IMO. Not that the 718GTS isn't a good car, but very odd way of describing the comparison and conclusion.
I spent this week with a Base 718 Cayman while my "T" was in the shop for some warranty work (Big thumbs up for PNH!). I wasn't a fan 5 minutes in , but after some significant seat time, the Cayman certainly won me over. One has to drive it differently to get the most out of it - as this article states. In normal mode (my loaner was a PDK), it's gutless. G.U.T.L.E.S.S. Whoever tuned the PDK in normal mode should be taken out back an beaten with a wet noodle. The car shifts at 2K RPM before any torque is available, and just drives like a dog. In order to feel anything at all while autoshifting, you need to go to sport. Then the PDK is fantastic, but the dampers are too stiff. They need a mode with Sport on and dampers in Normal. I found myself driving the car mostly Sport off, in Manual PDK mode. Then, if you drive it like a manual transmission car it's great. I think what that means is that this car needs the 6 speed. The engine also needs to be above 4K RPM to sound good. It's pretty much a diesel Jetta at idle. I'd be replacing the exhaust first thing if I owned one. If you drive and keep the engine in its powerband sweet-spot, the car was plenty fast.

Dynamically - it's fun in the way all mid-engine cars are. Tossable, playful, quick. The suspension was a weak spot. Damping was generally too much for driving conditions - and made for an uncomfortable ride. My 993 with 10 year old Bilstein HD shocks was worlds better. The 14-way seats didn't help here either, as they were flat as boards I couldn't get the support just right (I'm not a big guy).

I *loved* the hatchback. It was the one feature I came away wishing my "T" had. Just super convenient and a real plus on the car. I also liked the smallness and sight-lines in the cabin. The intimacy of the interior space added positively to the driving experience in a way that was very cool. My wife remarked on this as well.

When I turned it in and picked up my car, the contrast was very interesting. The "T" felt significantly lighter, more nimble and more powerful. To the point that when I got home, I checked and was shocked to see that the 991 actually has a shorter wheelbase than the Cayman, is just under 5" longer and the "T" is only ~80-100 lbs heavier. I think the wheelbase really contributes the difference, my "T" with RAS and PASM just whips around the bends -- it's so agile -- the Cayman just didn't compare in any way. The Cayman was a good sports car, my "T" is like a go-kart.

So the "T" is the clear winner for me for everyday and backroads driving. But I'll tell you what...that 718 Cayman is going to be a perfect track car project in 5 years once the steepest part of the depreciation curve hits. Fix the suspension, roll cage, and maybe get the S or GTS for a bit more power - just raw fun. I'll take mine in white so I can go full stickers!

cheers!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:57 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronht

Be sure to look at both the white and white metallic. I got the white metallic because compared to the bright white, it has a bit of a grey tone which I personally think goes really well with the agate grey. Good luck with your choice!
Nice V-Tail!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Nice V-Tail!
Thanks!

It's my "other" flat 6
Old 08-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 654 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Happy

2019- just arrived RWS, Silver ext pack etc - more pics to come when i pick her up next week!
Thanks to all who gave advise during the spec and waiting period. 911T❤️

Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Ukkid74 and ronht, congratulations. Looks great.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:41 PM
JayHantz
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
Personally I would highly recommend RAS - In my opinion if you are going to choose from all the options, THAT one is the ONE that you need to get. I have RAS on my T and I had it on my 2017 Carrera S and I personally wouldn't get a newer 911 now without it!
Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
^RAS. I have it on my T and the ability to spec the car with RAS and the LWBs for me provided an interesting track package. The RAS does make the car feel a bit darty on the street and if fairly serious track usage was not in the plans, I would probably want the T without RAS and with the standard sportex seats.

One other misgiving I have about the RAS is the difficulty in using 19” wheels due to clearance issues. Apparently it is possible to use 19s only with a custom wheel spec. I have not explored this in detail, however.
Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I ended up with a T without RAS. This is my first 911, and I won't track much (if ever). I think the handling is telekinetic even without RAS.
Appreciate the feedback, gentlemen! It seems RAS is definitely an option for the track but 50/50 for the daily driving aspect. Still on the lookout but this thread is making the wallet open more and more. Hoping to get an allocation or find one out there... there is an amazing GT Silver in Colorado Springs.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:47 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

RAS completely transforms the car. Whether you think this is good or bad depends on a back to back test drive with and without it. I strongly urge anyone that can to do so. Only then can you determine if its for you. Just make sure both cars DONT have power steering plus.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
RAS completely transforms the car. Whether you think this is good or bad depends on a back to back test drive with and without it. I strongly urge anyone that can to do so. Only then can you determine if its for you. Just make sure both cars DONT have power steering plus.
I got RAS. Heard great things about it, cant get it on the base etc...
Old 08-25-2018, 10:49 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

RAS is, IMHO, a must have. It is a game changer whether you are tracking, or caning it on backroads, or just toodling around in commute traffic and parking garages. It makes the car uncannily agile - there really is no other car out there that I can think of which handles quite as well as a Carrera T with RAS.

Motor Trend used to do a "Best handling car in the World" award. The 993 I used to have won it in 1995, beating out the Ferrari 355. I'll stack up my T against any volume production car on earth in 2018. It's that good.

Try it. You'll like it :-)

cheers!

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>