Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM
BradleyCB
Track Day

Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate the feedback! I also really like the pictures of the GT silver metallic I've seen on this string. I have some thinking to do. And...apparently I need to consider this purchase in light of the bid we just received from our landscaping contractor.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine left the port of Houston yesterday!!!

The excitement is building!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats RonHt.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

BradleyCp
honestly I spent very little time choosing a color. My biggest focus and agonizing was on staying with the theme of the model. Lighter go faster. I have searched every YouTube video and forum since placing my order and I have seen a lot of negative responses about Porsche’s claim of this car being lighter than all others. Main complaint is it’s only 5kilos or 11 pounds lighter. Just a marketing ploy for Porsche. But the issue is the cars these youtubers are driving while bashing Porsche are over specked. In essence they clicked all the Luxury buttons nullifying the built in benefits of the car. Properly speced you can achieve 44 pounds lighter according to Porsche who notoriously under report numbers. All the really hard things to make lighter are done for you. So once you get the car a few additionally specialized mods and you can easily double or triple that number. Titanium exhaust for example. Don’t get me wrong I am not trying to insult anyone or sling mud. That’s what is great about a Porsche you can order it how ever you want. For me I am not DD my Porsche. I wanted to stay as close to the intent of the car as possible. That is why I speced out the LWBS manual trans rear stear. (Weight versus performance) I did splurge on the black led headlights and lane change assist. That’s it everything on the options list adds weight and weight sacrifices performance. And puts you in the delima of cost of a T versus a base versus a S. Now to your question I did make one mistake. A decision based purely on preference not performance and that was the black paint. A car has 15 pounds added in paint alone. Race cars use special designed water based ultra light paint as do planes. Light colors with less pigment weigh less than dark colors and metallics are the heaviest ( little bits of metal make paint metallic) Porsche’s race color is white the lightest paint color. The first merc silver arrow was actually painted until it failed weigh in. The team sanded all the paint off to bare metal cut weight made weigh in and the birth of the silver arrow. What ever you chose you still will have a very nice Porsche.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

First off, i bought a car ‘off the lot’, so.... I won’t get into ‘shoulda woulda coulda’.

I was configurator-ing the car with the SDP, but glad i didn’t do it. If you are going SDP, you’ll HAVE to get the FAL addition. I already am very nervous about low clearance, and it can be tricky to clear ramps with the stock T front end. Be warned.

As for the color, I am in the ‘safe’ camp silver (but almost went white)... but if you intend to keep the car long time, bright isn’t a bad idea. (Bright colors generally lower resell in the early years, but have less impact the longer you keep it)... I love the look of yellow, but red is my fav color. I’ll leave it to you and others on blue.
I agree with this statement. I bought mine off the lot as well so take context in to consideration. My car doesn't have full SDP but it does have SD front end and clearance is a real issue. If you go SDP, I too recommend FAL.

Color is personal as are things like decals and rear script. I don't have rear stear either and am in the @ Stout camp in feeling like this car with a true mechanical sport diff and standard rear axle, is a joy to master in that form, even if it's comparatively old-fangled.

No matter what, you will love this car!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Been following this thread for awhile. Currently really torn on picking this car up or not. Leaning towards getting one as it's a back to basics 911 and I do miss that 911 feel. Has anyone hear came from a 981 Spyder or 991.1 GT3, would love to hear your thoughts. Currently torn between 718 Spyder and .1 GT3. Only thing that worries me about the .1 GT3 is the PDK and me getting bored with it on the street.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Only thing that worries me about the .1 GT3 is the PDK and me getting bored with it on the street.
That's exactly the reason I'm trading my 2017 Carrera S / PDK for a Carrera T / 7 MT that's arriving this week. No day-to-day driving engagement which, at least to me, is what having a car like this is all about.

Don't get me wrong, the PDK is nothing short of spectacular, but I'm not interested in "tracking" my car or that extra tenth of a second at speed and for day-to-day driving having a transmission that does everything for you just takes the fun out of driving a car like this.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:40 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Been following this thread for awhile. Currently really torn on picking this car up or not. Leaning towards getting one as it's a back to basics 911 and I do miss that 911 feel. Has anyone hear came from a 981 Spyder or 991.1 GT3, would love to hear your thoughts. Currently torn between 718 Spyder and .1 GT3. Only thing that worries me about the .1 GT3 is the PDK and me getting bored with it on the street.
IMO If you are a manual trans driver do not consider PDK unless you want the fastest transmission possible on the track.

The novelty of PDK wore off for me after a few blocks
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,257 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by BradleyCB

1. I'm torn between Miami Blue and Carrera White Metallic. Do you think the Miami Blue is worth the ~ $2,500 premium over CWM? Would you get tired of Miami Blue after a few months?

2. I like how the sport design package looks, but not too many T owners seem to be ordering it. What do you think?

Be bold! Miami is a great colour! My first two Porsches were silver, the third was Carmine Red and my 4th is my current Racing Yellow Carrera T! This car makes me smile the most!

The only part of the Sport Design Pack that I like is the rear spoiler.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 PM
clx764
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
I agree with this statement. I bought mine off the lot as well so take context in to consideration. My car doesn't have full SDP but it does have SD front end and clearance is a real issue. If you go SDP, I too recommend FAL.

Color is personal as are things like decals and rear script. I don't have rear stear either and am in the @ Stout camp in feeling like this car with a true mechanical sport diff and standard rear axle, is a joy to master in that form, even if it's comparatively old-fangled.

No matter what, you will love this car!
I agee 100% with you.. got SDP? you will need FAL.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
The only part of the Sport Design Pack that I like is the rear spoiler.
Totally agree! I am still thinking of putting just the back on when I get mine. I know I'll probably need to add some sort of extra aero to the front to keep it more stable at high speed, but we'll see (for the track).
Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris - 97C2
Totally agree! I am still thinking of putting just the back on when I get mine. I know I'll probably need to add some sort of extra aero to the front to keep it more stable at high speed, but we'll see (for the track).
That is Porsche's line...and not based in reality.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

I've got no skin in the game - I own a 991.2 GTS. But, has anyone read the October copy of Excellence magazine article "...The Carrera T and 718 Cayman GTS face off!"?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

excellent vid
Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,257 Likes on 465 Posts

Great video. Thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>