Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 01:35 PM
shadow4
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice install. What are the best resources you used to understand the install? The isudar instructions on their website and youtube videos don't seem the most helpful.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:11 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Did your car come with voice control?
No VC. However the there are two microphones in the steering column shroud. One is for the phone and the other is to meter the cabins ambient noise for the stereo. Not sure what cars would only be fitted with one mic. Don't all Porsches of this gen have handsfree for the phone? Haven't had the chance to play with it so not sure exactly what does and doesn't work in terms of handsfree. But I do know I can summon Siri while in the Apple Music app. I also know I can answer calls on command.

The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 02:13 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by shadow4
Nice install. What are the best resources you used to understand the install? The isudar instructions on their website and youtube videos don't seem the most helpful.
Just read thru the forums here, some YT videos and this Mac forum. https://www.macanforum.com/threads/c...s-help.181700/
shadow4 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 06:59 PM
EvilTuna7
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Are there thoughts on NM Auto vs. Isudar? I'd be using an iPhone with it
Old 12-14-2021, 08:24 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTuna7
Are there thoughts on NM Auto vs. Isudar? I'd be using an iPhone with it
I have a gen1 NM Auto and it works flawlessly, but no wireless carplay, but I am ok with that because regardless I would plug it in my car to charge. If my unit fails I would go Isudar for the pure simplicity and the responsiveness I have observed on videos.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:47 PM
shadow4
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got my isudar board in the mail and it's now version 2.0 of the board. I wonder what's different with it?
Old 12-15-2021, 05:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

I think it addressed some bugs and also the volume issue people were having (volume control different for native PCM and Carplay - too high or low when switched over)
Old 12-15-2021, 06:10 PM
jblr83
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just installed the Isudar. Bought it on Black Friday, with a code for an additional 14% discount. 261$ shipped, no import charges.
Easy to do, 2 hours taking my time. Works great.

Kimiiii (04-27-2022)
Old 12-15-2021, 06:53 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow4
Just got my isudar board in the mail and it's now version 2.0 of the board. I wonder what's different with it?
Audio supposed to be better:
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post17831187

Pls note the original board is v2 and the new one is v2.0, I got a warranty replacement and w/ the 911.1 bose system it's not a huge upgrade:
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post17844075

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think it addressed some bugs and also the volume issue people were having (volume control different for native PCM and Carplay - too high or low when switched over)
This is fixed in the latest firmware: https://www.isudar.com/blogs/download/download

However the upgrade bricked my first board, I think when carplay connected during the update - in the panamera thread they mention to make sure the phone is off or far away. So proceed with caution

Last edited by systemr; 12-15-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:21 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Anyone have an idea about the wifi password that's required to reconnect to this board? My garage is attached to my home and while using my phone with my home router, the cars wifi was constantly hijacking. So I used the "forget this wifi" to mitigate that issue. Thought it would just reconnect when it rediscovered it when in the car. However it now needs a password. I also want to ask, is this wifi "phoning home" to somewhere across the globe? Any ideas on these two issues?
Old 12-17-2021, 01:46 PM
Live Steam
Racer

I fixed my connection issue by using the factory reset. Had to re-establish the connection as a new install.

On another note, for those who may not know, a long press on the lower left corner of the CP screen will initiate Siri. So if you do not have a MF steering wheel, you can still have all the handsfree functions while using CarPlay.
The following 2 users liked this post by Live Steam:
desmotesta (02-13-2022), Porsche_nuts (12-17-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:46 PM
wastedimage
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Anyone have an idea about the wifi password that's required to reconnect to this board? My garage is attached to my home and while using my phone with my home router, the cars wifi was constantly hijacking. So I used the "forget this wifi" to mitigate that issue. Thought it would just reconnect when it rediscovered it when in the car. However it now needs a password. I also want to ask, is this wifi "phoning home" to somewhere across the globe? Any ideas on these two issues?
What do you mean it was constantly hijacking exactly?
Old 12-19-2021, 12:21 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by wastedimage
What do you mean it was constantly hijacking exactly?
My office is above the garage. I was in my office using my phone to listen to music thru my CasaTunes wifi system and it was getting interrupted by the Isudar wifi so the music I was listening to was being cancelled. It even did this when I used the disconnect switch in the settings menu on the phone. So I clicked the "forget this wifi" option for the Isudar wifi. When I returned to the car the next day, it would not connect to the car wifi to activate CarPlay as it was requiring a password. I've since reset the Isudar board using factory reset and went thru the connection process again and it works fine now. I also haven't had the issue again that I described. Not sure what the reason was for it the first time.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:52 PM
orangedawg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Bose and Burmester have two microphones in the steering column. One for phone and the other for active EQ based on cabin noise. The isudar can access the second microphone. If you have the base audio there is an empty slot in the upper steering column trim and isudar includes an OEM shaped microphone that snaps into that slot. To talk to Siri or Google, you hold down the right (hang up) phone button to trigger assistant. It’s seamless. To switch modes you hold down the ‘INFO’ button to switch from PCM to isudar. It automatically switches back to PCM when you’re reversing for camera and park sensors.
So if you have Burmester, then you can no longer have the active EQ? Is that correct? Couldn't you just connect the isudar board to the phone mic? I have not purchased this yet, just trying to get some ore info.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:06 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by orangedawg
So if you have Burmester, then you can no longer have the active EQ? Is that correct? Couldn't you just connect the isudar board to the phone mic? I have not purchased this yet, just trying to get some ore info.
Somehow the system can access the factory mic without it getting disconnected, so I assume Active EQ is still working, but I have no real idea.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1