Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 08:43 PM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered it from Amazon and it will be here within a week for my birthday. Aliexpress was $295 and Amazon was $360 with tax. Have people who have bought it recently gotten the correct standoffs to fit over the Sirius module?
Old 01-15-2022, 11:10 AM
phansson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please tell me exactly what fuse to plug it in on the drivers side (that is where I installed the JoyeAuto module). I am getting battery drain.

I tried to go through the thread but it is VERY long.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:51 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phansson
Can someone please tell me exactly what fuse to plug it in on the drivers side (that is where I installed the JoyeAuto module). I am getting battery drain.

I tried to go through the thread but it is VERY long.
Do you have a voltmeter? Just find a fuse that is switched on with ignition. (and yes I can walk outside and take a photo of one I used, but based off of options we may have different openings and my option may not work for you and vice versa).

An easy way to do this is just plug in the joyeauto fuse into an open slot...see if the joyeauto box blinks blue... if the ignition is off and it turns on, you have a constant signal, which you don't want, which is your drain. find one that the blue light blinks (joye auto powers up) ONLY when ignition is on. We also don't know if you hid the box on the drivers side or passenger side.

I also know James did a great DIY video here for reference:

The following users liked this post:
poorshoeless (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 PM
phansson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkfx
Do you have a voltmeter? Just find a fuse that is switched on with ignition. (and yes I can walk outside and take a photo of one I used, but based off of options we may have different openings and my option may not work for you and vice versa).

An easy way to do this is just plug in the joyeauto fuse into an open slot...see if the joyeauto box blinks blue... if the ignition is off and it turns on, you have a constant signal, which you don't want, which is your drain. find one that the blue light blinks (joye auto powers up) ONLY when ignition is on. We also don't know if you hid the box on the drivers side or passenger side.

I also know James did a great DIY video here for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8zg...el=AutoAmateur
I guess where I was confused was the fact that I thought I had to plug it in an "unused" fuse. I am assuming that this can just go in the PCM slot and it will be fine.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:58 AM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey all, I just finished installing JoyeAuto on my 981 and have a few questions for those with experience:
  1. The sound quality seems to be atrocious. I was getting much better sound over BT and it really let's down the burmester sound system. Do I have any option here?
  2. Sometimes the unit goes dark in response to me selecting an option it doesn't seem to be ready for. After this, all I can do is power cycle it to recover. Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2022, 12:34 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danby
Hey all, I just finished installing JoyeAuto on my 981 and have a few questions for those with experience:
  1. The sound quality seems to be atrocious. I was getting much better sound over BT and it really let's down the burmester sound system. Do I have any option here?
  2. Sometimes the unit goes dark in response to me selecting an option it doesn't seem to be ready for. After this, all I can do is power cycle it to recover. Any ideas?
I personally connect my phone to the aux BT sound system and stream audio that way. I don't hear waze updates or sound through the carplay per say, but does allow me to see waze / spotify etc. If i'm doing a lot of navigation or text I switch over to aux but just deal with the audio quality. You can try and fine tune it, but I think it's just the limitation of the device...though I wouldn't say it's atrocious, just degraded quality, maybe 75%. Do you have the 1/8" plug inserted into the glovebox (or is it armrest)?

Not sure on the going dark option, i'd reach out to joyeauto via whatsapp and see if there's a firmware update available.
The following users liked this post:
ftc3 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:56 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dkfx
I personally connect my phone to the aux BT sound system and stream audio that way... Do you have the 1/8" plug inserted into the glovebox (or is it armrest)?.
How do you connect the Aux BT while using android auto? My phone shows my BT is connected to the JoyeAuto unit. Do you use wired or wireless AA?

Yep, I have the dummy 3.5mm jack plugged into the glovebox. Without that I don't get any audio at all.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:40 PM
Luca84
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Anybody can reccomend a shop that can do this in San Diego area?
Old 03-06-2022, 08:20 AM
d--
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Quick note, I had this done at CarTunes in Atlanta and it worked perfectly. They did the zzz install, and a backup camera in my 991.1 C2S for about $1800. Yes, it’s expensive…. Yes, it works perfectly. The hardest part was waiting for them to have an opening in their calendar for me to get in for the work.

Regarding sound quality, it’s good not great. I do have the Burmeister system and it is not appreciable better or worse than factory sources. The EQ in the ZZ2 system allows for some adjustments that are not possible with the factory controls. Short version, if you want ultimate sound quality than anything that is pushing audio over an analog connection to the aux jack is not it. If you are reasonable in your expectations and just want the interface from CarPlay, you’ll be very happy. I am. Highly recommended, it totally modernized the car.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:34 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 88 Posts

FWIW I did nearly the same install. 2014 C2 Cab, wireless CarPlay with backup camera. CarTunes in Atlanta. The only difference was they put an IDCORE system in mine. It works great. Sound is fine (hard to be an audiophile with the top down). If I ever upgrade to a 991.1 Turbo S, I’ll do it again.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:55 AM
d--
Instructor

Originally Posted by docskeet
FWIW I did nearly the same install. 2014 C2 Cab, wireless CarPlay with backup camera. CarTunes in Atlanta. The only difference was they put an IDCORE system in mine. It works great. Sound is fine (hard to be an audiophile with the top down). If I ever upgrade to a 991.1 Turbo S, I’ll do it again.
My invoice came up IDCORE, but they said zz2. Whichever it was, they did a great job.

So ya, guess we have the same system.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:07 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

I am on my third CarPlay system because of my disappointment with sound quality. It may be specific to Burmester. The wireless NM Automotive system is truly the best in terms of sound quality and PCM integration - at least in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:30 PM
d--
Instructor

Originally Posted by RYE
I am on my third CarPlay system because of my disappointment with sound quality. It may be specific to Burmester. The wireless NM Automotive system is truly the best in terms of sound quality and PCM integration - at least in my opinion.
That’s good feedback. Thank you.

Does NM still use the aux port? If so, how do they have better sound quality than the rest?
Old 03-06-2022, 01:10 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by d--
That’s good feedback. Thank you.

Does NM still use the aux port? If so, how do they have better sound quality than the rest?
They all use AUX. My view is that the DAC (digital/analog converter) is more linear in the NM Automotive unit. It doesn't have a software equalizer but perhaps that's a good thing to minimize distortion or having to compensate for quality. I don't mean to diminish the other systems, but there seems to be noticeable sound quality issues in combination with Burmester. NM Automotive solved the sound issue for me and I am finally happy with my install. It was a costly and labor intensive process to replace my other units but I am glad I did.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:18 PM
d--
Instructor

Originally Posted by RYE
They all use AUX. My view is that the DAC (digital/analog converter) is more linear in the NM Automotive unit. It doesn't have a software equalizer but perhaps that's a good thing to minimize distortion or having to compensate for quality. I don't mean to diminish the other systems, but there seems to be noticeable sound quality issues in combination with Burmester. NM Automotive solved the sound issue for me and I am finally happy with my install. It was a costly and labor intensive process to replace my other units but I am glad I did.
That’s pretty interesting! Thanks for pointing it out… Next time I’m in SoCal I’ll buy you a beer and we can play some demo songs. I’m always looking for audio upgrades.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1