Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 04:01 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
They take a while to answer but they're very helpful, I suspect they'll take care of you.
Thanks! I hope so. Driving without the joyeauto features is a bummer.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:48 PM
lennon034
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
So my car was in for service and the repair personnel broke a tab on the quadlock connector. The connector slips out causing the PCM to lose power and shutdown intermittently.

Broken tab.

Does anyone know how I can buy just the connector from Joyeauto or elsewhere? I’ve emailed and messaged joyeauto through WhatsApp but haven’t heard back.
As a last resort option you can buy a new quad lock connector on eBay and re-pin the whole thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112498067634
Old 05-25-2021, 09:10 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
The Bose and Burmester sound systems both require additional expensive components to allow an aftermarket unit to work. I also wanted to add a rearview camera that behaved like it came from the factory. All these reasons made integrating with the factory head unit the most logical and least costly option.
I disagree with this quote. I installed an Apple Carplay unit from NM Automotive without any “additional components.” I also added a rearview camera that plugs into the Carplay unit that cost all of about $50.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:19 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I disagree with this quote. I installed an Apple Carplay unit from NM Automotive without any “additional components.” I also added a rearview camera that plugs into the Carplay unit that cost all of about $50.
Read what I said again as you just agreed with me entirely. I have the NM automotive / factory headunit integration.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:39 PM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by lennon034
As a last resort option you can buy a new quad lock connector on eBay and re-pin the whole thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112498067634
I got ahold of Auto Amateur's contact for Joyeauto on Whatsapp and they're sending me a new 48pin connector from the factory this week. Should take a week to arrive. In the meantime, I'll try the card stock method.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:45 PM
TDS
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions on this thread, I read it all and took notes before attempting my own install in the 981. Works like a dream!

Video here

The following users liked this post:
Spaetzl (05-28-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:35 PM
MontanaTX
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought two JoyeAuto units. The first I installed in my 991 and everything went great. The second was for Cayenne and has a glitchy display but its mostly blank/black. Contacted them via Aliexpress and WhatsApp. They haven’t been great and are super slow at responding and over a week ago said they shipped a replacement, only to now find out they didn’t ship anything yet.

My input is that it’s great when the units work but their support/customer service isn’t great at all.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM
c615586
Instructor

New Connector

New connector from Joyeauto arrived yestereday via FedEx. Took about 5 days--$35 and $20 for faster shipping. If anyone is having issues reaching Joyeauto, I can DM you the Whatsapp number for the contact I'm using.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (09-14-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 01:36 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Questions for those of you with joyeauto- I have a KAPTrader setup from Naviplus. I like it except that the front panel buttons for track skipping aren’t enabled in AA/Carplay. The only button on the front panel that works is the NAVI button for switching between Carplay and AA. If I had a MF wheel the steering wheel controls would work.

1. Do front panel buttons work for skipping tracks?
2. Has anyone tried Android Auto and can confirm the buttons work in AA as well? The joyeauto page seems to suggest that only touch screen controls work.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:57 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
1. Do front panel buttons work for skipping tracks?
Yes they do
Old 06-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Furrry
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Can anyone confirm the wiring for an aftermarket camera to the nmautomotive unit? I believe I read that I do not need to tap into the reverse wire in the rear and only need to connect the video connector and power to the harness up front and find a place for the ground wire in the rear taillight harness or someplace else. I ordered the nakita camera which was recommended on the thread.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:04 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Technically, it would be safe to tap into the reverse tail light wire (red wire on camera cable) and ground (black wire on camera cable). Then on the other end of the camera cable there's a yellow RCA to connect to the NMA unit but there's also a red wire next to the yellow RCA. I have the Joyeauto and I don't have to connect that red wire. Reverse wire is Black/blue - in the 911 it's on either tail light, in the 981 Cayman is the middle tail light. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

I can answer that. I just did it with the NM Automotive unit in my 911. The Nakita camera requires you to ground its power wire near the camera end, but the wire is so thin that it can easliy break when you try to fasten it to a solid grounding point. Be careful with that! The camera also has a quick disconnect so you can remove the bumper with the camera in it. Every time you pull the bumper for engine work, either yourself or at your garage of choice, you must remember this wire and its coupling, both as you remove and re-install the bumper.

Ideally, you would find a route through the passenger interior, but that isn't easy. I went through the driver side wheel wells and tucked into the running board. I got help from a car stereo installer for the final 2± feet between the front wheel wall and the dash, via the front firewall. I put my NM head unit by the steering column, above your knee space. Once you have the cable end ready, all you do is plug it into the labeled camera receiver plug dangling out of the back of the NM Automotive head unit. You don't need to trim any colored wires or do any programming. I was self-aware and works great.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:37 PM
Furrry
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys - thanks this I super helpful!

So to clarify for the Nakita to the NM unit, you only wire the ground (I think this is the black wire) in the back taillight area, and then upfront the av yellow cable is plugged in and the red wire is connected to the NM harness red wire coming off the av cable (for power to the camera). The red wire in the back doesn’t need to be wired in the rear reversing light right?

I believe I read that the NM will detect when the car is in reverse

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I can answer that. I just did it with the NM Automotive unit in my 911. The Nakita camera requires you to ground its power wire near the camera end, but the wire is so thin that it can easliy break when you try to fasten it to a solid grounding point. Be careful with that! The camera also has a quick disconnect so you can remove the bumper with the camera in it. Every time you pull the bumper for engine work, either yourself or at your garage of choice, you must remember this wire and its coupling, both as you remove and re-install the bumper.

Ideally, you would find a route through the passenger interior, but that isn't easy. I went through the driver side wheel wells and tucked into the running board. I got help from a car stereo installer for the final 2± feet between the front wheel wall and the dash, via the front firewall. I put my NM head unit by the steering column, above your knee space. Once you have the cable end ready, all you do is plug it into the labeled camera receiver plug dangling out of the back of the NM Automotive head unit. You don't need to trim any colored wires or do any programming. I was self-aware and works great.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:47 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's it. The ground wire just goes to a ground of your choice behind the bumper. Everything else plugs in to the NM unit. Hardest job is fishing the wire.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1