Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 08:19 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by drbob20
Few questions for anyone who has the Joyauto CarPlay deal installed.

I installed mine over the weekend, all works BUT to enable wireless I have to go through the menu, select my phone and hit connect. Is this normal? I thought it just connected once it recognized your phone..

This leads to my second question, since the wireless works is the USB wire, that's connected to the device really needed? I wired the USB to the passenger side and can put in the glove box, it's a tight squeeze though. My thought, if it's not necessary just undo it and use the USB that's built into the glove box if I need to charge the phone.

Any input is appreciated.
@drbob20 did you figure this out?
Old 04-25-2021, 01:10 PM
Andrew Acree
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I wasn’t able to find a direct answer to this question in the thread, but can anyone verify how long it takes for CarPlay to connect after the car starts? From key turn to music playing, what’s the total time?

Also, if you leave the source on AUX when you kill the car, is there any interaction needed when you start the car back to get to the CarPlay screen?
The following users liked this post:
RichardA (06-27-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 04:22 PM
drbob20
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@uphoto Not 100% fixed. With the help of James (Auto Amateur) I was able to get it so I don' have to go into settings on the unit and select connected devices. Now I just have to connect Joyauto on my phone's Bluetooth, much more simple but not a true fix. It won't auto connect for some reason. I have a screen shot of the steps I went through, feel free to pm me your email or cell# and I'll shoot it over.

If anyone has insight on how to get the Bluetooth to auto connect my issue will be resolved
Old 04-25-2021, 08:34 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by drbob20
@uphoto Not 100% fixed. With the help of James (Auto Amateur) I was able to get it so I don' have to go into settings on the unit and select connected devices. Now I just have to connect Joyauto on my phone's Bluetooth, much more simple but not a true fix. It won't auto connect for some reason. I have a screen shot of the steps I went through, feel free to pm me your email or cell# and I'll shoot it over.

If anyone has insight on how to get the Bluetooth to auto connect my issue will be resolved
installed my rear camera today and played a bit more with mine.

one button fixed mine! just had to hit the “navi” button and it switched over and now starts right up and goes to CarPlay within 10 sec or so if starting car!

no idea why or what that did but works.
xelu01 (05-04-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:25 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

If anyone is considering this upgrade, I have an extra Joyauto wireless carplay system, new in box. Whats a fair price?
xelu01 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:07 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone do this in the dmv area? Any recommended shops to install it?
Old 05-06-2021, 01:11 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

installed my joyeauto kit over the weekend, it was really helpful to watch the autoamateur install video and review the doc that @c615586 shared. Anybody with experience installing stereos or building your own computer can easily do it if you take your time.

Took me about 1.5 hours to do the initial fit, install and test and then a little extra as I ended up moving the main box to the passenger side under the carpeting next to the firewall, found that under the steering wheel was just too tight and forced me to raise the steering wheel beyond my natural position.

in my mind it's totally worth it. things that would make it from good to great:
* enable steering wheel control to skip songs
* show song names in the instrument panel

Last edited by systemr; 05-06-2021 at 01:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by systemr:
uphoto (05-06-2021), xelu01 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 08:41 AM
Jrbreeland
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m about to pull the trigger on one and curious why you guys didn’t just replace the head unit with something after market?
Old 05-16-2021, 10:55 AM
n2_space
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrbreeland
I’m about to pull the trigger on one and curious why you guys didn’t just replace the head unit with something after market?
Looks factory, factory options are still there, etc
Old 05-16-2021, 11:24 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

The Bose and Burmester sound systems both require additional expensive components to allow an aftermarket unit to work. I also wanted to add a rearview camera that behaved like it came from the factory. All these reasons made integrating with the factory head unit the most logical and least costly option.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:30 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m about to pull the trigger on one and curious why you guys didn’t just replace the head unit with something aftermarket?
I really thought hard about both OEM or aftermarket direction as well. At the time options, the phone got to be tether with unit and phone. so I went with OEM. the unit that was available to aftermarket wasn't that good of review yet.

In today, I recently installed an aftermarket unit with my other car; a newer generation of a head unit, with lots more features, if the opportunity presented itself today, I might go with aftermarket.

theracer21 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:33 AM
Manhattan_trout
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Any recommended installers in the NYC and Long Island area who can do this? $170K car and it doesn't even have parking sensors - WTF!? I love Porsche but sometimes it gets ridiculous...
theracer21 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 03:42 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Broken Quadlock Connector

So my car was in for service and the repair personnel broke a tab on the quadlock connector. The connector slips out causing the PCM to lose power and shutdown intermittently.

Broken tab.

Does anyone know how I can buy just the connector from Joyeauto or elsewhere? I’ve emailed and messaged joyeauto through WhatsApp but haven’t heard back.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:51 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
So my car was in for service and the repair personnel broke a tab on the quadlock connector. The connector slips out causing the PCM to lose power and shutdown intermittently. ... Does anyone know how I can buy just the connector from Joyeauto or elsewhere? I’ve emailed and messaged joyeauto through WhatsApp but haven’t heard back.
That's a bummer. I've broken tabs on connectors before (though, not whatever connector the PCM uses) and have used 3x5 card stock to fashion a wedge that I pushed in between the connector and the socket to keep the connector in place, while still being able to remove it if necessary. Maybe that will work for you.

Another thought - If the connector plugs into the PCM, then some other gizmo made by Porsche would too. Maybe you can find the connector at the dealer.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:58 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
So my car was in for service and the repair personnel broke a tab on the quadlock connector. The connector slips out causing the PCM to lose power and shutdown intermittently.

Broken tab.

Does anyone know how I can buy just the connector from Joyeauto or elsewhere? I’ve emailed and messaged joyeauto through WhatsApp but haven’t heard back.
They take a while to answer but they're very helpful, I suspect they'll take care of you.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1