Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020 | 11:10 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hinckley
Well, I've just read thru 52 pages of posts (whew!) and am seriously considering Nick's NM Auto solution. But I saw one thing that may be a deal-killer for me . . .

If I'm listening to Sat Radio thru the PCM and have Waze in the display, will Waze still speak to me? i.e. Will I get LEO notifications spoken or just displayed on the screen?

Thanks for your help with this!
From my experience I think not. In order to have CarPlay active you must select the [AUX] button which will likely mute satellite audio. I have tried listening to an FM station with Waze running and I received no audio from Waze. You might want to reach out to Nick for confirmation since it’s my understanding he now has a WiFi capable unit and hopefully some upgrades to the system.
Old 05-21-2020 | 11:15 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
From my experience I think not. In order to have CarPlay active you must select the [AUX] button which will likely mute satellite audio. I have tried listening to an FM station with Waze running and I received no audio from Waze. You might want to reach out to Nick for confirmation since it’s my understanding he now has a WiFi capable unit and hopefully some upgrades to the system.
Thanks for the quick reply Sid. I'll reach out to Nick and report back.
Old 05-21-2020 | 11:23 PM
osunick
Racer

Thanks for the quick reply Sid. I'll reach out to Nick and report back.
This is wrong. You can listen to satellite radio, the CarPlay display will just be effectively muted. The piggyback module doesn't have any awareness of the source setting on the PCM.
Old 05-22-2020 | 12:13 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by osunick
This is wrong. You can listen to satellite radio, the CarPlay display will just be effectively muted. The piggyback module doesn't have any awareness of the source setting on the PCM.
My understanding is whether Waze and Satellite Radio can be heard while CarPlay is active. Selecting Satellite or FM while trying to actively use Waze through the CarPlay feature is nullified. The PCM must be on AUX for CarPlay for the audio function for Waze to operate, so I disagree.
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:01 AM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
My understanding is whether Waze and Satellite Radio can be heard while CarPlay is active. Selecting Satellite or FM while trying to actively use Waze through the CarPlay feature is nullified. The PCM must be on AUX for CarPlay for the audio function for Waze to operate, so I disagree.
I stand corrected. I thought OP was just wondering if you could even use Waze while listening to sat radio. You are correct though doesn't XM actually have an app you can listen to through CarPlay?
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:40 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by osunick
I stand corrected. I thought OP was just wondering if you could even use Waze while listening to sat radio. You are correct though doesn't XM actually have an app you can listen to through CarPlay?
Yes.
Old 05-22-2020 | 03:09 AM
RYE
Racer

Well, I've just read thru 52 pages of posts (whew!) and am seriously considering Nick's NM Auto solution. But I saw one thing that may be a deal-killer for me . . .

If I'm listening to Sat Radio thru the PCM and have Waze in the display, will Waze still speak to me? i.e. Will I get LEO notifications spoken or just displayed on the screen?

Waze will not speak to you if your audio source is Sat Radio. Even though in the Waze app you can manage audio outputs, when CarPlay is active those options are disabled and it will only use default audio (via CarPlay).

My recommendation is to use the XM Sirius app on your phone. The app is CarPlay enabled so everything runs via CarPlay with Aux as your audio source. Waze alerts work and so do other navigation commands from Waze or other navigation apps.
Old 05-22-2020 | 05:54 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RYE
Waze will not speak to you if your audio source is Sat Radio. Even though in the Waze app you can manage audio outputs, when CarPlay is active those options are disabled and it will only use default audio (via CarPlay). My recommendation is to use the XM Sirius app on your phone. The app is CarPlay enabled so everything runs via CarPlay with Aux as your audio source. Waze alerts work and so do other navigation commands from Waze or other navigation apps.
Thank you gentlemen. I've been emailing with Nick who has confirmed all of this (his reputation is well deserved). And of course, you're correct. Using the SiriusXM app is probably the way to go. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone and a SiriusXM subscription for my BMW, so I'll actually save money on the second subscription that I have for the 911. That's not a bad thing. And since I use a powered ProClip phone mount for my iPhone, I could use the iPhone itself to switch sat radio stations while Waze is displayed in the PCM, right?
Old 05-22-2020 | 06:46 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I've got a pretty esoteric question that someone out there may be able to answer . . .

I'm currently running CarPlay in my iDrive 7 BMW (it's a sweet integration). Within the iPhone's CarPlay settings, I'm able to customize how the apps are ordered on the iDrive screen. What I'm wondering is whether the iPhone settings allow you to customize different app orders for different CarPlay connections. The reason that I ask is that the BMW displays 10 apps per screen (2 x 5) and the Porsche will display eight apps (2 x 4). So obviously if I only have one customized order, the order will display differently on the two cars.

And yes, I really am that ****. Lol.
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:35 AM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

I don't think any CarPlay system will work that way, regardless of OEM or aftermarket. If the XM App runs in CarPlay you can listen to it that way, but you won't be able to listen to XM through the PCM and have CarPlay functioning (I do not know if that app is supported).
Old 05-22-2020 | 08:29 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2013CarreraS
I don't think any CarPlay system will work that way, regardless of OEM or aftermarket. If the XM App runs in CarPlay you can listen to it that way, but you won't be able to listen to XM through the PCM and have CarPlay functioning (I do not know if that app is supported).
You're certainly right with the OEM PCM and of course it makes complete sense due to how the NM system integrates as a separate and distinct media source.

But my alternative to something like NM is to replace the entire PCM with an aftermarket system. I was leaning in that direction until I found this thread. With the aftermarkets (such as the Kenwood excelon products that I've been looking into), they run CarPlay and audio independent of each other. Even my iDrive 7 BMW works that way. I have the Waze CarPlay app on my central display and listen to SiriusXM (or FM or AM for that matter) through iDrive. And I get Waze spoken notifications which interrupt the radio audio. But systems like iDrive and the aftermarkets are designed for integrated sources. Nick's NM system is a necessary kluge to retrofit old tech with new tech. The upside is that I can maintain the whole OEM look and feel. The downside is that I miss out on the beautiful hi-res screen of the excelon product.

Last edited by hinckley; 05-22-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:57 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Yes, on the Joyeauto kit, if you have another source playing while watching CarPlay, you will not get sound updates. However there is a way around this! I downloaded the Serius app on my phone, and have been listing to Sat radio that way. Also got the Radio.com app to listen to local radio. Now I'm in CarPlay all the time.
Old 05-22-2020 | 02:55 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Yes, on the Joyeauto kit, if you have another source playing while watching CarPlay, you will not get sound updates. However there is a way around this! I downloaded the Serius app on my phone, and have been listing to Sat radio that way. Also got the Radio.com app to listen to local radio. Now I'm in CarPlay all the time.
Yup, that's the right answer. And I get the added benefit of not having a second SiriusXM subscription for my Porsche.
Old 05-22-2020 | 05:27 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Default JoyeAuto Quick Black Screen While Driving (Short?)

Had my Joyeauto installed for about 6 weeks now without any issues. Took 2x 5-hour driver and after getting into the car today, I'm noticing the screen blacking out for a half second after a few moments. CarPlay is working fine, but then the screen goes dark for a quick moment and then everything comes back.

I have my fuse plugged into driver's side ACC port 49 and the unit hidden behind the JoyeAuto.

Any ideas/suggestions? Doesn't look like anyone has reported this here yet from my searches.

Last edited by ziptbm; 05-22-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add title
Old 05-22-2020 | 05:32 PM
RYE
Racer

I've got a pretty esoteric question that someone out there may be able to answer . . .

I'm currently running CarPlay in my iDrive 7 BMW (it's a sweet integration). Within the iPhone's CarPlay settings, I'm able to customize how the apps are ordered on the iDrive screen. What I'm wondering is whether the iPhone settings allow you to customize different app orders for different CarPlay connections. The reason that I ask is that the BMW displays 10 apps per screen (2 x 5) and the Porsche will display eight apps (2 x 4). So obviously if I only have one customized order, the order will display differently on the two cars.

And yes, I really am that ****. Lol.
On your phone go to Settings -> General -> CarPlay and you see each connected car separately. You are able to customize your screen for each vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by RYE:
hinckley (05-22-2020), YetiRojo (05-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1