Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 03:27 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
Thanks I tried removing the fuse to do a cold boot but no change, not sure how this option is supposed to work as holding a button on the steering wheel seems to give no response to this menu.
Did you go into this menu through the list of settings or did you open the SWC app? Maybe try going into it via the settings menu.
Old 08-18-2024, 03:29 PM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Did you go into this menu through the list of settings or did you open the SWC app? Maybe try going into it via the settings menu.
I've tried via SWC app and via settings but it does not appear to initialise pairing

Last edited by ralphsmit; 08-18-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:59 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
I've tried via SWC app and via settings but it does not appear to initialise pairing
Hmm, actually, I just realized you are trying to use your steering wheel control? If so, that's not what my issue was 😅 I don't have steering wheel control, I was using an external remote. I will defer to those who is using their steering control.
The following users liked this post:
ralphsmit (08-19-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 08:01 PM
andybee
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is so awesome, spent hours reading up abou it.

I have a weird 981. Ordered with PCM with Bose (with manuals), but has the CDR31 installed, so assume the PCM failed at some point and the original owner fell off their chair when they saw the OEM Price.

so, two quick questions

i)So thinking about Chsteck, but I notice their is a Chstek Car Radio Store and an Official Store. Which have you guys used (thinking if need support).

ii) Given the car came with Navigation, is it obvious (aside from it not being connected!) what the GPS Antenna is? Can I connect that to the Chstek, or do I need to use their Antenna?

Thanks all!
Old 08-18-2024, 08:10 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by andybee
This thread is so awesome, spent hours reading up abou it.

I have a weird 981. Ordered with PCM with Bose (with manuals), but has the CDR31 installed, so assume the PCM failed at some point and the original owner fell off their chair when they saw the OEM Price.

so, two quick questions

i)So thinking about Chsteck, but I notice their is a Chstek Car Radio Store and an Official Store. Which have you guys used (thinking if need support).

ii) Given the car came with Navigation, is it obvious (aside from it not being connected!) what the GPS Antenna is? Can I connect that to the Chstek, or do I need to use their Antenna?

Thanks all!
I) i used neither. My initial questions to them were very slow and they sounded like they don't care. I asked them some other questions about CHSTEK headunit and they respond by saying that I haven't bought anything from them yet.. I went with a different seller based on their store reviews. I bought from the seller 'heregoes' and they were very helpful. I am sure you can buy from any vendor with good reviews and get good support.

2) yes you will need a fakra-c wire as mentioned in the install guide.
Old 08-19-2024, 03:41 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought my Chstek from here but not sure how much difference the various outlets make as long as you can do a return for a faulty unit, because the support is pretty limited. And that's where this forum comes in!

If you have not already looked at our installation guide then it's worth a thorough read and will give you the GPS adapter info you need (assuming you car does have the GPS antenna installed).

Also please do take note of our model recommendation when ordering e.g. 7862-D and 7862-E. These are well specified units and you'll benefit from the wealth of community experience.

Keep us updated!
Old 08-19-2024, 04:01 AM
andybee
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme

2) yes you will need a fakra-c wire as mentioned in the install guide.
Cool, I wasn't sure, thanks.

Originally Posted by andy2111
I bought my Chstek from here but not sure how much difference the various outlets make as long as you can do a return for a faulty unit, because the support is pretty limited. And that's where this forum comes in!

If you have not already looked at our installation guide then it's worth a thorough read and will give you the GPS adapter info you need (assuming you car does have the GPS antenna installed).

Also please do take note of our model recommendation when ordering e.g. 7862-D and 7862-E. These are well specified units and you'll benefit from the wealth of community experience.

Keep us updated!
Guide is awesome, very useful. The car came with PCM originally, have it on the original car build/order, plus have the manuals for PCM, so thinking its hanging there inside the dashboard! 7862-D for me with the Bose decoder, assume the 3.1 version

Last edited by andybee; 08-19-2024 at 04:09 AM.
andy2111 (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 07:04 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by andybee
Cool, I wasn't sure, thanks.

Guide is awesome, very useful. The car came with PCM originally, have it on the original car build/order, plus have the manuals for PCM, so thinking its hanging there inside the dashboard! 7862-D for me with the Bose decoder, assume the 3.1 version
If you don't have an OEM GPS antenna, it's no big deal. Just use the supplied GPS antenna - these work just fine in my experience. I mounted it behind the HU, stuck to the underside of the dash, up near the windscreen. Worked flawlessly there and when checking with a GPS locator app, showed numerous connected satellites. This was in my Lexus, but same principle applies.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:37 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Bummer after bummer with the 6125 unit. I cannot for the life of me, get the screen darker at night. Its like the damn sun in the car. Ive tried talking to CHSTEK and they said "Sir, go into the menu and lower the brightness"... lol. Tried to go deeper in the advanced menu and set the min brightness to 10 (normal is 20) and it doesnt work.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:53 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That's strange as it works fine on the 7862

Wasn't there an order mix up for you and you got the 6125 by mistake, or was that someone else? I am wondering if you have experienced enough issues to ask them to do an exchange unit?

You must have some right to return it through AliExpress standard T&Cs if it's faulty and you can claim that the very bright screen is creating a dangerous driving hazard and therefore the unit is not fit for purpose..
ZedZed (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Bummer after bummer with the 6125 unit. I cannot for the life of me, get the screen darker at night. Its like the damn sun in the car. Ive tried talking to CHSTEK and they said "Sir, go into the menu and lower the brightness"... lol. Tried to go deeper in the advanced menu and set the min brightness to 10 (normal is 20) and it doesnt work.
Do you mean that the screen doesn't respond to its brightness control at all, or that it doesn't automatically go darker when you turn on the car's lights? Or both? If it's the former, it sounds like a defective unit. If the latter, I assume you have set the 'follow car' option in the menu and it still doesn't dim?

Either way, I'd do a factory reset, 'just in case a rogue setting has crept in, and if that doesn't fix it, initiate a return as Andy suggests. Ali asks you to ask the seller first, and if you get no joy there, open a dispute and get Ali to sort it out. I've done this a couple of times and been impressed with the way Ali dealt with it. I think they are trying to establish a good international reputation these days.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:01 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's strange as it works fine on the 7862

Wasn't there an order mix up for you and you got the 6125 by mistake, or was that someone else? I am wondering if you have experienced enough issues to ask them to do an exchange unit?

You must have some right to return it through AliExpress standard T&Cs if it's faulty and you can claim that the very bright screen is creating a dangerous driving hazard and therefore the unit is not fit for purpose..
I ordered the qualcomm unit (6125) on purpose but after reading i asked to switch it to the 7862. They agreed and said it was no problem. But i still received the 6125. I messaged them again about it but its been almost 2 months since ownership. It just stays light here in oregon till about 9:30 so i never drive at night right now haha.
Old 08-19-2024, 12:58 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

LOL

Well I guess its up to you, but I think if you are irritated enough about the issue you could argue strongly for a replacement... and join the 7862 club!
Old 08-19-2024, 01:06 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
I ordered the qualcomm unit (6125) on purpose but after reading i asked to switch it to the 7862. They agreed and said it was no problem. But i still received the 6125. I messaged them again about it but its been almost 2 months since ownership. It just stays light here in oregon till about 9:30 so i never drive at night right now haha.
Did you try swipe down the screen from the top to get into the brightness settings and turn it down?

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-19-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:18 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Do you mean that the screen doesn't respond to its brightness control at all, or that it doesn't automatically go darker when you turn on the car's lights? Or both? If it's the former, it sounds like a defective unit. If the latter, I assume you have set the 'follow car' option in the menu and it still doesn't dim?

Either way, I'd do a factory reset, 'just in case a rogue setting has crept in, and if that doesn't fix it, initiate a return as Andy suggests. Ali asks you to ask the seller first, and if you get no joy there, open a dispute and get Ali to sort it out. I've done this a couple of times and been impressed with the way Ali dealt with it. I think they are trying to establish a good international reputation these days.
The screen 100% responds to brightness through the canbus. It just dims maybe 3% darker. And thats at the lowest setting. Im going to fiddle with it some more. But it might end up for sale here.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1