Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 08:02 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cjrhoades
No, I do not have this issue. I can adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster normally.

EDIT: I heard back from Chstek after sending them photos and requesting a solution again:

"The engineer said that it can be adjusted by setting the screen brightness parameters, but this is more complicated and there is no guarantee that there will be no problems. I can tell you the operation method. But I don't recommend changing."

I've asked them to provide further instructions.
Since others with the CHSREK unit are not reporting this issue, then it is either specific to your unit (manufacturing or software issue) or possibly subjective, where you are more sensitive to the brightness than others. A way to determine the latter would be to download a light meter app to your phone and measure the light emission from a specified distance - say 1 inch. Then ask other CHSTEK users to download the same app and measure their own screens' brightness. This is a bit of a performance to go through but I am sure that other CHSTEK owners would be happy to cooperate. Just a thought.

Old 06-05-2024, 09:23 AM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

I really like all the great graphics and animations that are on the link that contains the guide that was created here. My question is, how do we incorporate those in our units. I would love to have the Porsche logo come up at startup, but don't know how to get it there. Can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to do that. I am at a loss when it comes to Android systems, and I couldn't find anything in the guide. I have the CHSTEK HU.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:49 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I really like all the great graphics and animations that are on the link that contains the guide that was created here. My question is, how do we incorporate those in our units. I would love to have the Porsche logo come up at startup, but don't know how to get it there. Can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to do that. I am at a loss when it comes to Android systems, and I couldn't find anything in the guide. I have the CHSTEK HU.
The agama launcher has a built in Porsche logo for the middle of the screen. I did not have to do anything special to get it set up. But in general, I think what you need to do is make sure the CHSTEK is connected to the internet, use chrome to browse to a picture you want to use (like the ones in the folder of instructions in this thread) and then download the picture to the HU downloads folder. From there when you are customizing something you can select the picture that you downloaded. I think that should work
Old 06-05-2024, 03:50 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

for folks with Manual Transmission and rear cameras, were you able to get your dynamic turning lines to work?
Old 06-05-2024, 03:56 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
We'll add to the guide.

For the boot logo on the CHSTEK, copy the desired image (ideally 1024x768 - see post 2880) to a "mycar" folder on the root of a FAT32 USB stick. Go to Settings > Factory (3368) > Boot Screen Logo and select your image.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:57 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Since others with the CHSREK unit are not reporting this issue, then it is either specific to your unit (manufacturing or software issue) or possibly subjective, where you are more sensitive to the brightness than others. A way to determine the latter would be to download a light meter app to your phone and measure the light emission from a specified distance - say 1 inch. Then ask other CHSTEK users to download the same app and measure their own screens' brightness. This is a bit of a performance to go through but I am sure that other CHSTEK owners would be happy to cooperate. Just a thought.
I have the same brightness issue with Chstek unit when driving at night. Even on the radio display which is mostly black sorta glows. My dashboard brightness works as should.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:07 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
for folks with Manual Transmission and rear cameras, were you able to get your dynamic turning lines to work?
I have lines but they don't move with the steering wheel, if that's what you mean.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:26 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

No, I do not have this issue. I can adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster normally.

EDIT: I heard back from Chstek after sending them photos and requesting a solution again:

"The engineer said that it can be adjusted by setting the screen brightness parameters, but this is more complicated and there is no guarantee that there will be no problems. I can tell you the operation method. But I don't recommend changing."

It will be interesting to see what they come back with.

A few observations and findings from my CHSTEK unit:
  • The CAR button toggles three levels of brightness, but these will permanently override (reset) the applicable Android setting ("Brightness Light" or "Brightness Night", depending on whether headlights are on)
  • The same is true for the Android brightness setting that is available via the standard Android "double pull down" from the top of the screen
  • The chosen launcher may have its own brightness setting (manual or auto). This does NOT permanently override the Android setting
I then tried installing a third party app from the Play Store (a lot of Android phone users seem to have the same complaint). The one I chose was "DimEasy". This acts as an overlay to the Android setting, so you can whack it up to 99%. This works well but please be careful not to reduce brightness to a point where the screen can't be seen! (I was unable to get it to go this far, but it's still worth the warning).

DimEasy could then be configured to launch on the startup of your launcher after boot.

Old 06-05-2024, 04:53 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I have lines but they don't move with the steering wheel, if that's what you mean.
yah, both my Mr12volt and NMAuto had dynamic backup lines that moved with steering input.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:03 PM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I took measurements of the instrument cluster display and headunit at approximately 3”. The highest reading from the instrument cluster was under 10 lux when set to maximum brightness. The lowest reading from the headunit in the radio app was over 40 lux while the highest was well over 100.

Last edited by cjrhoades; 06-05-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:17 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

I hooked up the signal wire for my backup camera today on my manual transmission car. I started by pulling out my passenger seat. I then discovered that we should refer to seats as left and right since some of us are in the US and some in the UK. Needless to say, I pulled out the wrong seat. On the plus side, I got my car vacuumed out really well while it was empty.
I can confirm that the blue with black wire is the correct one to tap into and it is located under the left seat.

Last edited by boxdriver; 06-05-2024 at 10:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by boxdriver:
Larson E. Rapp (06-05-2024), ratt359 (06-06-2024), ZedZed (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 04:23 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you hear back from Chstek on this? I assume there's a hidden menu somewhere that lets you adjust some parameters..
Old 06-06-2024, 06:40 AM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy2111
Did you hear back from Chstek on this? I assume there's a hidden menu somewhere that lets you adjust some parameters..
They replied last night and I tested it this morning. Here are the instructions from Chstek:

"In the factory menu, a password is required for backlight current adjustment. Factory password is 3368. Backlight current adjustment password is 5768. Please do not set the minimum value to 0, otherwise the screen is completely black and you cannot see anything, which may cause the radio to fail to work. In principle, we can't give this password to our customers, so you need to bear the risk of damage yourself, sir. Be sure to remember that the brightness cannot be adjusted to 0, otherwise the product may be damaged."
In the menu, the factory default for minimum is 30 and the maximum is 60. The instructions said the screen would go black if set to 0, but for me it actually went black at 17. Thankfully, the digitizer was still working, and I was able to blindly adjust it back up. At 18 the backlight flickers heavily and would occasionally go completely black. At 19, there was slight flicker. 20 appears to be stable, and very closely matches the brightness of the instrument cluster display (set to my preferred brightness of 60%). Since 20 is only 1 step above noticeable backlight flicker, I settled on 21 for some safety factor and is still close enough in brightness to the instrument cluster.

EDIT: When I relayed my findings back to Chstek they responded with the following:

"The engineer does not recommend modification, please pay attention to it"
I found this strange given they just provided instructions to change it. I asked if they were saying that 21 was too low of a value and/or could cause damage. They replied:

"No. Don't set it too low and too high"
Going to chalk it up to a language thing and interpret it as them just telling me to be careful. I will keep an eye on it and let you guys know if the lower setting causes any issues.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by cjrhoades; 06-06-2024 at 07:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
q8linux (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 08:07 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

That's great feedback - well done on getting support to respond to you, which is encouraging in itself and thanks for sharing!

Let us know how you get on after driving in the dark and then we can add the instructions to a later version of the guide along with a very big warning not to lower the brightness beyond a proven safe level
Old 06-06-2024, 09:13 AM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's great feedback - well done on getting support to respond to you, which is encouraging in itself and thanks for sharing!

Let us know how you get on after driving in the dark and then we can add the instructions to a later version of the guide along with a very big warning not to lower the brightness beyond a proven safe level
I drove to work in the dark this morning and was satisfied with the result. You should probably also caution against raising the maximum current. The default is 60 but you can adjust it up to 100. It's possible higher values will burn out the backlight and I was already pretty happy with the daytime brightness.
The following 4 users liked this post by cjrhoades:
andy2111 (06-06-2024), mamick (06-06-2024), ratt359 (06-07-2024), ZedZed (06-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1