Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Nope. The only settings are too bright, or the sun
Damn, sorry to hear, I would expect the swipe down from the top will still bring up the brightness settings like they always had. Hope you can negotiate an exchange with your seller.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Damn, sorry to hear, I would expect the swipe down from the top will still bring up the brightness settings like they always had. Hope you can negotiate an exchange with your seller.
Last thing he said was "Ill ask the engineers to solve your problem"

How about YOU send me the model i requested and pocket the extra $20 haha
Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Last thing he said was "Ill ask the engineers to solve your problem"

How about YOU send me the model i requested and pocket the extra $20 haha
Lol. Can you still return it?
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

If you press the Car hardware button does it cycle through different levels of brightness?
Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

If anyone still trying to add a delay off to the rear camera after shifting out of reverse, here are the instructions:

1. You need to get a delay timer such as these RT1M or you can find some more fancy multifunction ones from Amazon. The delay time is configurable via some switches
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A

2. You will need to cut/split the brown wire that is energized when in reverse.

3. Here's the wiring diagram (sorry, i don't know how to resize it here) - if your camera doesn't tap power from the brown wire, just connect the camera power to the NO (Load) wire.

That's great info - thanks for sharing. I will add it to the next version of the guide

Last edited by andy2111; Yesterday at 04:44 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Nope. The only settings are too bright, or the sun
This seems really odd to me. I have never yet seen an Android device that does not have a brightness control. It is usually available in Settings or, more often, by swiping down from the top of the screen. @RwdConnor. - are you saying that when you swipe down there is no brightness adjustment at all? If this is the case, I'd be wanting a full refund from the seller - the lack of brightness control makes the unit unfit for purpose. Would you please confirm that swiping down does not reveal a brightness slider? Thx.
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@RwdConnor Another thought . . . IDK which launcher you are using, but most of the launchers I have tried have some settings for adjusting brightness and/or dimming the display when the car's lights are turned on. It's a long shot, but have you checked that settings in your launcher aren't interfering with settings on the HU itself? A corollary would be to try installing a launcher that has its won brightness controls and seeing if they override the HU. CarWebGuru has such controls, and I believe that Agama does too. There will be others.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 91 Posts

If anyone still trying to add a delay off to the rear camera after shifting out of reverse, here are the instructions:

1. You need to get a delay timer such as these RT1M or you can find some more fancy multifunction ones from Amazon. The delay time is configurable via some switches
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A

2. You will need to cut/split the brown wire that is energized when in reverse.

3. Here's the wiring diagram (sorry, i don't know how to resize it here) - if your camera doesn't tap power from the brown wire, just connect the camera power to the NO (Load) wire.

Great job @bmxtreme !
For the manual transmissions, you will need to make the connection for the RT1M unit between the blue/black reverse light wire and the brown wire. Or in the brown wire after the connection (HU side) from the blue/blk wire.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
This seems really odd to me. I have never yet seen an Android device that does not have a brightness control. It is usually available in Settings or, more often, by swiping down from the top of the screen. @RwdConnor. - are you saying that when you swipe down there is no brightness adjustment at all? If this is the case, I'd be wanting a full refund from the seller - the lack of brightness control makes the unit unfit for purpose. Would you please confirm that swiping down does not reveal a brightness slider? Thx.
Originally Posted by ZedZed
@RwdConnor Another thought . . . IDK which launcher you are using, but most of the launchers I have tried have some settings for adjusting brightness and/or dimming the display when the car's lights are turned on. It's a long shot, but have you checked that settings in your launcher aren't interfering with settings on the HU itself? A corollary would be to try installing a launcher that has its won brightness controls and seeing if they override the HU. CarWebGuru has such controls, and I believe that Agama does too. There will be others.
The unit has brightness control. But even at the lowest setting "20", its still way too bright at night. I can go into the factory settings and change it to "10" but when i apply/reboot to confirm the changes. 20 is the lowest the actual settings can go.
Im not using any aftermarket launcher, just the stock. The Unit stays on carplay 100% of the time. let me try a launcher and see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Lol. Can you still return it?
90 day free returns. I just might try to. I already said that if i cant fix this, ill be going after a return.
This wouldnt be a problem if A, i choose the right unit from the start, and B, if he would have remembered to change to the 7862 after i asked and he confirmed... lol
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

You know you want to join the 7862 club!

We have T-shirts, mugs and secret handshakes and everything....
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

90 day free returns. I just might try to. I already said that if i cant fix this, ill be going after a return.
This wouldnt be a problem if A, i choose the right unit from the start, and B, if he would have remembered to change to the 7862 after i asked and he confirmed... lol
Just return it. Who knows, maybe the 7862 may be just as bright, lol, but at least you don't need to keep wondering.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Great job @bmxtreme !
For the manual transmissions, you will need to make the connection for the RT1M unit between the blue/black reverse light wire and the brown wire. Or in the brown wire after the connection (HU side) from the blue/blk wire.
For manual, since the blue/black wire is the one supplying the power, the blue/black wire will need to connect at the brown wire (car side). the ACC of RT1M. Don't need to cut the brown wire. (We probably don't need to cut this brown wire for PDK as well, but I can test first) PDK must split this wire,.or else there will be a power loop from the constant 12v after the initial trigger causing the rearcam to always on 😅

Last edited by bmxtreme; Yesterday at 10:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

@bmxtreme Any chance of an updated wiring diagram for manual cars so I can add to the guide alongside the PDK diagram?
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
You know you want to join the 7862 club!

We have T-shirts, mugs and secret handshakes and everything....
Hahaha. LOL.

Last edited by ZedZed; Yesterday at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
andy2111 (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1