Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 09:16 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
Thanks @bmxtreme @andy2111 @ZedZed for all the feedback.

My car is PDK and when I shift into reverse, the guidelines and parking sensor overlay is triggered. Just no video.
OK - this shows that the HU is switching to the correct input, but the lack of reverse cam image means the camera is not powered.

The shop that installed the aftermarket rear cam originally for the ISudar had tapped the reverse lamp for 12v power and as a trigger to be on only when reversing. I therefore did not tap the 7862’s brown wire harness. But it sounds like Andy feels this still must be done. The red camera wire I’m assuming is currently tapped into rear back up light factory harness so I’m not sure how to switch this over to the head unit’s brown wire without a lot of work.
You must connect the camera power to the brown wire. You will need to follow the Guide for how to do it. The camera will have a red pigtail for power and this needs to be connected to the brown wire mentioned. You can locate the camera power wire at the yellow plug and connect it to the brown wire with a suitable tap. I do not think, but am not sure, that you will need to remove the connection to the backup light - it isn't providing any power to the camera (or the camera would turn on) so I don't think it will do any harm to leave it in place. For absolute certainty, it would be best to remove it at the camera/backup light end. I think that the camera worked with the Isudar board because you were using the PCM at that time, and the camera was being controlled via the canbus/PCM. Now the PCM is no longer there, you will need to connect to that brown wire.

Since it sounds like both front and rear cams may have somehow lost their power connections while making the switch from my ISudar to the 7862, I may need to bring this into a shop to figure things out. I just hope that the shop doesn’t get stuck like another user had mentioned before.
Let the shop be the last resort - try the things suggested in the thread first. My experience with 'pro' installers has been that they don't know any more about Android HUs than we do! YMMV on this of course and you may well have a very savvy installer. However, if you hook the camera power wire to the brown wire on the HU harness, I am pretty sure your rear cam will work.

As for the front camera, my suggestion is to get the rear working first and then look at the front camera afterwards.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-17-2024 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 09:27 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really appreciate it @ZedZed

Before taking it to an installer, I’ll give this a bit more effort to hopefully figure out the rear cam first, and then hopefully the front cam after.
ZedZed (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 09:55 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Really appreciate it @ZedZed

Before taking it to an installer, I’ll give this a bit more effort to hopefully figure out the rear cam first, and then hopefully the front cam after.
I think you are close now to getting the rear cam to work. Hook into the brown wire and let's see what happens.
Old 08-17-2024, 10:15 AM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I may have missed it, but did you set the camera video format appropriately? I remember having to play with the settings quite a bit before my factory camera worked on my Macan with an FYT unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by drawz:
StanfordBear (08-17-2024), ZedZed (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 10:51 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Good call.. There's an AHD option in the settings menu which might need turning on or off

See the appendix in the guide and you'll find where it is in the menu
Old 08-17-2024, 11:03 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Will try that as well @drawz @andy2111 Thanks
Old 08-17-2024, 11:44 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Look for
Settings>Factory>HD reversing video format

There are some other settnigs just below that
  • Front View (Front cameraOff or On)
  • Cancel the reverse into the front view (If you have back and front camera, it will switch to front camera when "leaving" the reverse gear)
  • Local Reverse Switch (On/Off - On: Reverse camara on, parking sensors work, distance sensitivity image on; Off - No camera, working parking sensors, Distance sensitivity image works)
  • Reverse power supply: This supplies power to the after market front camera (if one present), so it's able to show the video feed longer than 1 sec. Not enabling this, cuts off the video feed from the front really quickly, after turning it on, coming from reverse and back camera feed.

And just to double check..... you have connected your rear camera to the unlabelled yellow RCA that has the two short antennae attached?

Last edited by andy2111; 08-17-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 01:24 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks @bmxtreme @andy2111 @ZedZed for all the feedback.

For the front cam, the Front View has been enabled and unfortunately the Front View app shows no video either.

My car is PDK and when I shift into reverse, the guidelines and parking sensor overlay is triggered. Just no video. The shop that installed the aftermarket rear cam originally for the ISudar had tapped the reverse lamp for 12v power and as a trigger to be on only when reversing. I therefore did not tap the 7862’s brown wire harness. But it sounds like Andy feels this still must be done. The red camera wire I’m assuming is currently tapped into rear back up light factory harness so I’m not sure how to switch this over to the head unit’s brown wire without a lot of work.

Since it sounds like both front and rear cams may have somehow lost their power connections while making the switch from my ISudar to the 7862, I may need to bring this into a shop to figure things out. I just hope that the shop doesn’t get stuck like another user had mentioned before.
Tapping the rear camera power into the brown wire is to just provide power to the camera. You don't need to do this for PDK if the camera already gets power when shifting into reverse. But assuming it's not powered, might as well try it out.

Also disable any settings that says 360 camera just to be safe.

​​​​

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-17-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 03:23 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Tapping the rear camera power into the brown wire is to just provide power to the camera. You don't need to do this for PDK if the camera already gets power when shifting into reverse. But assuming it's not powered, might as well try it out.

​​​​
@bmxtreme I was on the same page that if I already have power going to the backup cam from the rear 12V connection when my PDK is in reverse, the brown wire tapping is unnecessary. But at this point, I've double-checked all my connections and all the factory settings multiple times with no luck on the rear or front cams. I may have to bite the bullet and reinstall my old PCM-ISudar setup just to confirm if the cams all still work. If they do, then I don't really know what to do with the 7862.
Old 08-17-2024, 03:26 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andy2111
Look for
Settings>Factory>HD reversing video format

There are some other settnigs just below that
  • Front View (Front cameraOff or On)
  • Cancel the reverse into the front view (If you have back and front camera, it will switch to front camera when "leaving" the reverse gear)
  • Local Reverse Switch (On/Off - On: Reverse camara on, parking sensors work, distance sensitivity image on; Off - No camera, working parking sensors, Distance sensitivity image works)
  • Reverse power supply: This supplies power to the after market front camera (if one present), so it's able to show the video feed longer than 1 sec. Not enabling this, cuts off the video feed from the front really quickly, after turning it on, coming from reverse and back camera feed.

And just to double check..... you have connected your rear camera to the unlabelled yellow RCA that has the two short antennae attached?

Definitely connected the rear cam to the yellow RCA in your pic.

Will double-check all the above settings one more time to see if anything changes. Thanks @andy2111
Old 08-17-2024, 04:35 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

@bmxtreme I was on the same page that if I already have power going to the backup cam from the rear 12V connection when my PDK is in reverse, the brown wire tapping is unnecessary. But at this point, I've double-checked all my connections and all the factory settings multiple times with no luck on the rear or front cams. I may have to bite the bullet and reinstall my old PCM-ISudar setup just to confirm if the cams all still work. If they do, then I don't really know what to do with the 7862.

I guess another thing to try is to toggle between CVBS and AHD but I guess you might have tried that. (Some camera only works with CVBS, while some both)

Last resort would be to try reflash the firmware with the ones I provided in the shared OneDrive (after flashing, you need to update all the apps from their AppStore). I probably won't want you to go down this rabbit hole. I think the most logical reason is the camera isn't getting power based on your symptoms.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-17-2024 at 11:07 PM.
StanfordBear (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 04:42 AM
MKRacer39
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, thanks to all have contributed to this thread.

I've previously removed an Ersin unit from by base model 991 as I couldn't deal with the hissing which I think came from the the ampiflied signal going into the base model external amp.

Has anyone tried this setup with the CHSTEK? Do we still get the hiss?

Thanks! David.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:04 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by MKRacer39
Firstly, thanks to all have contributed to this thread.

I've previously removed an Ersin unit from by base model 991 as I couldn't deal with the hissing which I think came from the the ampiflied signal going into the base model external amp.

Has anyone tried this setup with the CHSTEK? Do we still get the hiss?

Thanks! David.
Think someone mentioned they solve this by setting Sound->Power Conditioning to Zero
MKRacer39 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 06:29 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Hi David,

I have also moved from Erisin to Chstek and I had the hiss with the Erisin and I went to great lengths to reduce it by making some custom in line ground loop isolators, which helped a bit.

Hiss is greatly reduced with the Chstek and the settings change mentioned above and playing with the various input level settings means for me this is no longer an issue and is not something I notice.

I can't guarantee 100% that there won't be a very small background noise if you are in a silent environment but I no longer consider it an issue in my setup.

Is you car non Bose eg with the SPP audio? I believe this is the the setup with the erisin that caused the problem.
Old 08-18-2024, 08:29 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmxtreme

​​​​
I think there may be a wrinkle to this (bolded text). It is true that cars with PDK and an OEM backup camera take the camera power signal from shifting into reverse. But I am not convinced that this is true for PDK cars that have aftermarket cameras. When I fitted the aftermarket backup camera to my wife's Cayman, ages before I even thought about replacing the PCM, I recall that the camera did not work at first. I had to go into the PCM and enable a setting in the menu to tell the car that I had a backup camera. I had forgotten this until reminded of it yesterday when discussing another aspect of the car with my wife, who reminded me. So it may be that when we fit aftermarket cameras to PDK cars, they still need some way of getting power to the camera, independent of simply shifting into reverse,

In the current case, it is clear that the HU is switching the display to the reverse camera input, or we wouldn't be seeing the camera backup guidelines. The lack of image, assuming the camera is not broken and is plugged into the correct RCA, which we are assured it is, is almost certainly because the camera is not being powered. I still think that connecting to the brown wire is, if not a guaranteed fix, at least a likely one. Of course, I will be happy to eat crow if this turns out to be just another blind alley

EDIT: To elaborate: If you have a car with the OEM backup camera, and you fit a CHSTEK HU, the backup camera will work out of the box. Engage reverse, camera turns on, image appears. But if you have an aftermarket camera, it won't work because (obviously) the camera had not been enabled in the PCM menus as described above, because Porsche supplied the car without a backup camera.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-18-2024 at 08:35 AM.
StanfordBear (08-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1