991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024 | 07:27 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

And after I took the pics above I finally refitted my interior trim!!! Wonder how long it'll be before I take it all apart again?!
Old 03-31-2024 | 08:55 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Andy, thank you so much for that. Much appreciated. I will get the TPMS setup you have and see how it goes. Thanks for taking the time to take the photos too.

On the DAB setup, what did you do for the antenna? Did you use the supplied antenna that sticks to the windscreen? As the Cayman's original PCM 3.1 had DAB radio, it must have had an antenna built-in to the car, and I was hoping to use that one, with a suitable Fakra/SMS adapter.

Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2024 | 09:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
And after I took the pics above I finally refitted my interior trim!!! Wonder how long it'll be before I take it all apart again?!
Haha. Well, I thought I was done too, but here I am about to install DAB and TPMS

The good news is that I can remove the side 'cheeks', unscrew the four torx screws and pull out the HU in about 1 minute flat now Reinstallation takes about the same time.

I initially fed the two (unused) USB fly-leads into the glove box so I could just put the DAB and TPMS receiver modules in there, but I think I will pull the HU, reroute the USB leads and install everything behind the HU for a neater job. I will use a USB port extender on one of the USBs behind the HU and take an additional USB into the glove box so that I have a spare USB in case that is needed for updates etc.
Old 03-31-2024 | 09:08 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^^
Ordered from Erisin UK. 1-3 day delivery, so I will have this up and running by next weekend with a bit of luck.
Old 03-31-2024 | 09:19 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Mine also had factory DAB and the original antenna with adapter works perfectly.

I tried a USB mini port extender but had problems with the reliability of the DAB unit as I suspect too much current was being drawn, but have a play around and see how you get on.

I'll check on the DAB app I use too and let you know.. Some are truly awful!
Old 03-31-2024 | 09:47 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I use the DAB Z app. It has mixed reviews but is the best I have found so far...
Old 03-31-2024 | 10:58 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I use the DAB Z app. It has mixed reviews but is the best I have found so far...
I have heard of DAB+ as well, but no experience of either, yet. I'll give them both a go.

Good point about the current draw on the USB extender. I might leave the TPMS in the glove box so I still have a spare USB to hand. Mind you, it's so easy to pull the HU, I wonder if it's worth just putting the lot behind the HU and just pulling it out if I need a SUB for an update etc.

Good news about the DAB antenna in the car. I've ordered a Fakra adapter from Amazon just now. Thanks for the extra info.

Last edited by ZedZed; 03-31-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2024 | 08:33 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Mine also had factory DAB and the original antenna with adapter works perfectly.
Andy - would you mind linking me to the adapter you bought please? The one I ordered seems to be the wrong one, d'oh. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2024 | 02:16 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure this is the right one looking at dates in my Amazon order history (I also bought the wrong one initially)

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-2024 | 02:26 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure this is the right one looking at dates in my Amazon order history (I also bought the wrong one initially)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0C...b_b_asin_title
Thanks Andy. Yes, that is a Fakra Z, which is what is needed. I ordered a Fakra C, which has little 'wings' on the connector, preventing it from mating with the OEM part. Just wanted to be sure that it was the Z which was required. Many thanks.
Old 04-03-2024 | 03:07 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Today is the day I install the Android Head unit. I suspect that it will take me approx 10 minutes to install haha. Going to be adding a back up camera this weekend while I do spark plugs and air filters. Im excited!

Also, I never got a tracking from Erisin haha
Old 04-03-2024 | 03:30 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Good luck!
Shout if you need any advice!
Old 04-03-2024 | 03:32 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Today is the day I install the Android Head unit. I suspect that it will take me approx 10 minutes to install haha. Going to be adding a back up camera this weekend while I do spark plugs and air filters. Im excited!

Also, I never got a tracking from Erisin haha
10 minutes is about right (once you have done it before) 😊. Adding the camera will take a looooot longer. But well worth it.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 04-04-2024 | 01:18 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

OK! So here we are, with the Erisin unit fully installed along with a back up camera. About 1 hour for the whole deal. Not bad at all!

I do however, have a few questions regarding the unit!

1. What EQ settings are everyone running? I personally think "Jazz" sounds the best but i did lower the bass some more.. things thumpy.. classic Bose.
2. Is there a Way to ONLY use wired carplay to get the best possible sound quality? This one stumped me because i routed the 2 (USB2/USB3) cables into the glove box and well, carplay wouldnt work unless it was wireless. I prefer wired.
3. With the backup camera. I used both the Cam Pwr (green i think) wire and the Green (Bk CAM) RCA input. Now truth be told, i tested it in not the best lighting, however, im wondering if on my camera, i have to tap into a 12 volt source as there are Red/Black wires that are near the camera itself. (Theyre currently not connected to anything, but the camera still works.) Im wondering if there is an internal setting somewhere that could better the quality, or i should run 12v to those two wires maybe via the tail light harness?.
4.Siri does not hear me, but car play phone calls work flawlessly. I did NOT use the supplied mic with the unit. But it seems like the front or maybe built in mic works great on the phone call. Siri just tells me to GFMS..
5. No sound out of rear speakers. Now, my assumption with this is that because im using a Left and right ONLY (2 channel) MOST box, that the rear are NOT getting any signal because well, there's nothing plugged into it. (This is NOT the end of the world, but if there was a way to fix this/get a better box, im all ears.)
6. Not sure if this brightness setting thing pertains to this, but the colored lights on the display, why are they so damn bright at night? The screen dims fine at night but man, the "Button lights" are just so damn bright.

Overall, i give it a 7.5 out of 10. If i can fix all of the above, that would be fantastic and would probably make it a solid 9.. for $400 shipped + $40 for a backup camera, this was a great success.
Old 04-04-2024 | 03:19 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Good to hear you got it installed and working without major problems! A couple of ideas for you:
  • ​​​​​Make sure you update the Canbus software to make sure the you don't have the 'over bright lights' issue. Info on how to do it is a few posts back
  • Also a few posts back you can see I've fitted two new buttons which have a more OEM look to them and they also reduce some of the glare from the illuminated panel. New buttons and the Canbus update have solved the annoying brightness issue for me
  • I use an Android phone, not an iPhone, but it uses an app on the head unit called zlink for connecting wireless Android auto. I have not tried it, but if zlink is disabled I expect wired Android auto would still work. You can see if there's a similar solution for iPhone?
  • I don't know if there's a 4 channel Most adapter as I don't have Bose, but one of the other guys will know!
Keep us updated!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1