Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 07:24 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Is the Isudar a 7862 CPU? The rear panel connections look quite similar to the Chstek as does the external canbox.. and so if we can confirm if it's same hardware platform then know if we can reuse much of our knowledge and learning from the Chstek to help solve these issues...

Last edited by andy2111; 08-01-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:44 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

not sure how to tell for sure, the Isudar website lists the CPU as A75

Last edited by dav9515; 08-01-2024 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:18 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by andy2111
I think the unit itself is probably sound and functionally similar to the Erisin and Chstek. But... IMHO those rotary ***** are just plain fugly and don't compliment the car at all. I guess it's the same as anything else that's subjective rather than objective, but that unit just screams to me that it's after market and doesn't look in keeping with interior of the car at all ... Same as the erisin of which I bought two and spent ages on Aliexpress buying replacement ***** to make it look better.

That said I hope we can help resolve the technical issues to give people a choice depending on their preferences.

We're gonna need a volunteer to write an install guide for the Isudar!
After @andy2111 pointed out the less than desirable aesthetics of the Isudar unit, I took a long hard look and ultimately agreed with the fugliness of those *****. Having cancelled my Isudar order, I am now going with the cleaner looking CHSTEK 7862e that many of you have contributed to the creation of such an amazing guide on. As I get ready for my installation once the unit arrives, I wanted to pick up some Posi-Taps in advance for tapping the Red/Yellow/Black MOST wires into the matching harness wires. Can anyone tell me what gauge size are these wires?
Old 08-02-2024, 01:59 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
After @andy2111 pointed out the less than desirable aesthetics of the Isudar unit, I took a long hard look and ultimately agreed with the fugliness of those *****. Having cancelled my Isudar order, I am now going with the cleaner looking CHSTEK 7862e that many of you have contributed to the creation of such an amazing guide on. As I get ready for my installation once the unit arrives, I wanted to pick up some Posi-Taps in advance for tapping the Red/Yellow/Black MOST wires into the matching harness wires. Can anyone tell me what gauge size are these wires?
If you bought with the MOST box, I believe they will assemble it for you, at least mine came with the box wired. The wires looks like 22 or 24awg
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 02:23 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
If you bought with the MOST box, I believe they will assemble it for you, at least mine came with the box wired. The wires looks like 22 or 24awg
Appreciated!
Old 08-02-2024, 05:37 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

This is what I bought for wire taps if it helps - different sizes so you are guaranteed to have the right one

ABINLIN T Tap Wire Connectors 240 Pcs - Quick Wire Splice Connectors, Electric T-Tap Cable Connector, Quick Disconnect Wire Taps : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools ABINLIN T Tap Wire Connectors 240 Pcs - Quick Wire Splice Connectors, Electric T-Tap Cable Connector, Quick Disconnect Wire Taps : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 06:05 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dav9515
not sure how to tell for sure, the Isudar website lists the CPU as A75
Looking at the Isudar website the small screen version uses a T68M platform and the large screen version uses the T72X platform. I can't find a great deal of info on them to get an idea of relative performance versus the Chstek 7862.

If they are completely different platforms then we will not be able to reuse all of our knowledge from the Chstek when it gets to detailed settings and configuration

@dav9515 do your settings look anything like this? This is what it looks like on 7862 units.

Last edited by andy2111; 08-02-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:47 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andy2111
This is what I bought for wire taps if it helps - different sizes so you are guaranteed to have the right one

ABINLIN T Tap Wire Connectors 240 Pcs - Quick Wire Splice Connectors, Electric T-Tap Cable Connector, Quick Disconnect Wire Taps : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
@andy2111 Thanks for that link. For the MOST wires, did you end up using the Red 18-22 gauge T-taps from that kit?
Old 08-02-2024, 10:43 AM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

@andy2111 - yes that's the exact same menu the Isudar unit has.

However, I heard back from Isudar support last night and they say my car doesn't have the right options/can-bus to work with the factory back up camera and their radio without tapping into the reverse light to engage the camera correctly. Since the whole reason I bought this radio was to avoid having to do that I am going to return to Isudar. I much prefer the look and bigger screen of the Chstek (as well as the support here) so If i'm going to have to run wiring no matter what I'd rather have the radio I really prefer.

Also, since I was messing with radios, The whole reason I bought an aftermarket head unit to begin with was my PCM 3.1 screen went black and wasn't functioning. I took apart the PCM and saw the ribbon from the board to the screen had a clear black line running across it looking as if the ribbon failed. I replaced the ribbon and plugged it back in to test and screen is working fine now. So I am likely going to reinstall the PCM while I send back the Isudar unit and set my plan for Chstek and the OEM camera.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:11 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
@andy2111 Thanks for that link. For the MOST wires, did you end up using the Red 18-22 gauge T-taps from that kit?
Sorry, I can't help with that because my car is non Bose and doesn't have the MOST box

I found some spare wire of the same gauge and did a test with the taps to ensure I had the right size..
Old 08-02-2024, 11:17 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

However, I heard back from Isudar support last night and they say my car doesn't have the right options/can-bus to work with the factory back up camera and their radio without tapping into the reverse light to engage the camera correctly. Since the whole reason I bought this radio was to avoid having to do that I am going to return to Isudar. I much prefer the look and bigger screen of the Chstek (as well as the support here) so If i'm going to have to run wiring no matter what I'd rather have the radio I really prefer.

Also, since I was messing with radios, The whole reason I bought an aftermarket head unit to begin with was my PCM 3.1 screen went black and wasn't functioning. I took apart the PCM and saw the ribbon from the board to the screen had a clear black line running across it looking as if the ribbon failed. I replaced the ribbon and plugged it back in to test and screen is working fine now. So I am likely going to reinstall the PCM while I send back the Isudar unit and set my plan for Chstek and the OEM camera.

Well done on getting your PCM back - at least you will have a functioning unit whilst you wait for the replacement.

We will get you up and running with your backup camera once the new unit arrives

See the guide for model buying recommendations (TLDR: 7862 model with 8GB RAM and either 128GB or 256GB storage)
Old 08-02-2024, 11:57 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

Disappointing to hear and maybe false advertising? What are the "right options/canbus" they are referring to? Was hoping Isudar would be the answer for factory installed backup cams, but I guess add it to the list of no-gos. Thanks for your efforts though.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:18 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

definitely disappointing, here is the actual response I received from Isudar:

"We are very sorry, our product can indeed support OEM rearview cameras. It is just that your car may not have a CAN cable, so it is impossible to decode the canbus to obtain the reversing signal, so you can only wire it manually."
Old 08-02-2024, 12:43 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I am trying to install my chstek today in the Macan. This connection is not mentioned in the guide.
Could someone please tell me what this fakes connector is for?

Also, do I need to connect these aux in to the corresponding connectors from the wiring harness? I did not see that mention in the installation guide.

Old 08-02-2024, 01:21 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That cable was used by the PCM to send info to the multifunction display. It's not used in Android head units so just cable tie it out of the way somewhere.

I swear I added that info to the guide.. but you're right it's not there, so I just added it for the next version and included your picture to help identify it.

I assume you are non-Bose? If so you do not need to connect the Aux leads. Bose audio needs the correct RCAs to be connected.

See the guide whether you are Bose or non Bose, it is all explained there..

Last edited by andy2111; 08-02-2024 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1