Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 01:13 PM
Nighthawk
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 911S.991 has been updated with CarPlay and have a Iphone 13 Max Pro.
AutoAmateur.com is the guy - James McGrath.

contact@autoamateur.com
Old 06-28-2024, 01:16 PM
Nighthawk
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I saw the attached product when googling online. However I can't find any reference to it in the US. I'm wondering whether anyone has tried it? I would love to add CarPlay to my 2014 Turbo S. It would certainly be cheaper than paying $40k more to upgrade to a 2017.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
YES, I had one done to my 911S 991 and I have a iphone 13 max pro. 3rd year and not a hitch.
check out autoamateur.com
James is the guy!
Old 06-28-2024, 01:19 PM
Nighthawk
3rd Gear

Autoamateur.com
James McGrath. He did my 991.1 for me 3 years ago. He Provides instructions on line and he can be contacted. Upgrade is awesome.
Never a glitch.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:00 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
If you really want a rear speaker option, you could use the RCA outputs on the head unit and send it to a small 2 channel amp that just controls the rear speakers. If you got a small enough one, you could fit it under the right-hand seat where the Bose amp is located. There is a little room next to that, and all the speaker wires are there to tap into the rears. You would need to get one that you could adjust the gains so you could get the volume level right compared to the other speakers.
Seems like the simplest solution. I'll investigate. Not sure I'll do it since I just don't plan on driving this car much once I do my big 2,000 mile Tail of the Dragon trip this summer. Oh well. More importantly I have Android Auto and all the goes along with it, which is what I really needed for this trip.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:09 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
You are right that the fader won't give you more volume. The problem is that as the fader adds sound to the rear speakers, it subtracts sound from the fronts (in our setups). The problem with splitting the signal comes down to the optical connection the car uses in a BOSE system. If we could somehow split the optical signal into two connectors, your idea might be feasible. It is possible to split an optical signal using a designated splitter adapter, but AFAIK all of the available splitters are one-in-two-out TOSLINK connectors like this:

This is no good for the optical connector used by Porsche. Even if it was, it doesn't get us anywhere because we might be able to split the input, but we are stuck with the single output (that orange fibre cable that disappears into the car's dash). I have never looked closely at the amplifier in my BOSE-equipped car, but it may, theoretically, be possible to tap the front speaker wires and add the rear speaker wires to them. This would just add a couple more speakers (RR and RL) to the amp's FR and FL outputs. However, doing this will change the impedance load of the speakers seen by the amplifier. Since the designers of the amplifier didn't spec for this, then damage to the amplifier could be caused, or distortion of the output or any number of other undesirable consequences. It might work, or it might not - no way of knowing without a detailed spec of the amp or just trial and error, There might be a way of adding a booster amp to serve the rear speakers, but having never seen the amp in my car I can't say for sure.

The basic problem is that the aftermarket HUs only output two channels into a BOSE system via the required MOST adapter box. I did once see a 4 channel MOST box being sold out of Russia, but no amount of subsequent googling has found it again, and it may not even have been genuine anyway. I have no idea how Porsche accomplished the front and rear BOSE setup - if anyone knows that, it may well give us a clue as to how we could replicate it.

You might get some joy from a dedicated car stereo installation outlet - they should at least understand how Porsche-Bose systems work and may have a workaround (at some cost no doubt). Alternatively, they could replace the BOSE amplifier and optical setup with a conventional (non-optical) setup (similar to what is in our Cayman and Andy's 911), retaining the BOS|E speakers. Again, at some cost. Might be worth an initial no-cost chat with the best local car audio installer to see what they think? Personally, and that's all it is - my opinion - I don't think that realistically there is much actual audio difference between BOSE and non-BOSE when you consider the dreadful acoustic environment of a car interior, plus the huge amount of external ambient noise. If I was speccing a new car, I (personally) would not pay extra for BOSE. I suspect it is just a great marketing concept by Porsche to gain added-value profits at not much cost to them). I respect the views of those who disagree with that.
The most box you are referring to is made by Trioma https://trioma.ru/wp-content/uploads...rca3.0_eng.pdf

I actually have one for sale as I replaced my PCM with the Android unit and no longer need it. - Just let me know - it's posted here https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1...ghlight=trioma

They are sold new here if you want a new one - https://12volt-shop.com/en/trioma?SI...x_adapters=175

Another option is buying one of these https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/...-and-car-audio

And controlling all your outputs through the software on the DSP. I use this and it works great

Last edited by Joec500; 06-28-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 07:15 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Can that bit of kit help Bose owners who want an Android head unit, or does it only work with pcm?

Last edited by andy2111; 06-29-2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:44 AM
ralphsmit
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

@andy2111 Could you confirm if I have the correct 2 cables needed? (I don't have/need DAB)

Old 06-29-2024, 05:14 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Can that bit of kit help Bose owners who want an Android head unit, or does it only work with pcm?
I think the adapter that the android hu uses converts the analog output from the head unit into digital for the Bose amplifier. The most adapter above takes a digital input to convert them to an analog output.
Old 06-30-2024, 03:03 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
@andy2111 Could you confirm if I have the correct 2 cables needed? (I don't have/need DAB)

@ZedZed would you mind confirming on this as I'm currently on vacation and can't easily access all my saved info to confirm. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2024, 07:54 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts

@ralphsmit Happy to step in while Andy is away. Could you just confirm what the adapters are for - one is for GPS I guess, what is the other one for? The one you have chosen for GPS is correct. You need Fakra C Male to SMA Male, as in your image cap. I would go for one that is about 6 inches (15cm) long to give you plenty of wiggle room.

The second image cap is confusing me - it is showing a Fakra D with both a Male and Female SMA. Tell me what you are intending to use it for and I'll see if I can help.

Old 06-30-2024, 09:38 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a note to CHSTEK owners to say that I installed updates yesterday to "Service", "ProtocolUpdate" and "Canbus" that were showing as available in the proprietary "App Store" (as below).

This undid the "bright dash icons" fix (which I'll need to revert) and I noticed the screen now flickers a little on low brightness when showing a pale background. I'd had set my lower level to 21, per the thread above. I can't be certain of the correlation (I may not have noticed it before), but wanted others to be aware.

In summary - I would suggest that CHSTEK owners who are happy with their setup do not install updates through this mechanism unless recommended by the seller / dealing with specific issues etc.

Last edited by ratt359; 06-30-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2024, 09:49 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ratt359
Just a note to CHSTEK owners to say that I installed updates yesterday to "Service", "ProtocolUpdate" and "Canbus" that were showing as available in the proprietary "App Store" (as below).

This undid the "bright dash icons" fix (which I'll need to revert - this would have been the "Canbus" update) and I noticed the screen now flickers a little on low brightness when showing a pale background. I'd had set my lower level to 21, per the thread above. I can't be certain of the correlation (I may not have noticed it before), but wanted others to be aware.

In summary - I would suggest that CHSTEK owners who are happy with their setup do not install updates through this mechanism unless recommended by the seller / dealing with specific issues etc.
Good call. If something is working well, I never update apps unless the update solves a known issue which is bugging me.

I've been caught far too often when I have updated an otherwise working app only to find that the update has brought me no discernible benefits but has broken something that was working perfectly before. A classic was with a complicated audio processor where I took the update offered and lost some functionality. Later, I looked at the changelog and the main purpose of the update was to add some obscure language choices to the menu structure!

Sometimes I will update if I know that I can go back to an earlier version of the app by downloading and installing an apk - I do that with Android Auto for example, where the apks for earlier versions are readily available With these headunits, my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it",

The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
Larson E. Rapp (07-05-2024), ratt359 (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 04:12 AM
ralphsmit
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
@ralphsmit Happy to step in while Andy is away. Could you just confirm what the adapters are for - one is for GPS I guess, what is the other one for? The one you have chosen for GPS is correct. You need Fakra C Male to SMA Male, as in your image cap. I would go for one that is about 6 inches (15cm) long to give you plenty of wiggle room.

The second image cap is confusing me - it is showing a Fakra D with both a Male and Female SMA. Tell me what you are intending to use it for and I'll see if I can help.
Hi @ZedZed thanks for the help, the guide references 2 required cables that are not shipped with the CHSTEK, I'm just looking to verify if these are the correct ones and what length is recommended.

Old 07-01-2024, 05:13 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi @ZedZed thanks for the help, the guide references 2 required cables that are not shipped with the CHSTEK, I'm just looking to verify if these are the correct ones and what length is recommended.

The top image from your reply. U need C and D. Even if you get it wrong, just break off the tabs so they become Z.
The following users liked this post:
ralphsmit (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:48 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

The GPS antenna you have chosen is correct. I do not have the CHSTEK unit, and the FM antenna connections of these Chinese HUs all seem to be different. The adapter you have chosen is correct for the OEM end of the lead - if the connection on the HU requires an SMA, check to see if it is male or female and order accordingly. I personally would get them from Amazon rather than Ali for two reasons: first you won't have to wait a month to get them, and second you can easily return them for a full refund if they turn out not to be the ones you needed. They are fairly inexpensive.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1