Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 01:48 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Man am I the only one that hates all of these android head units? I much prefer adding the carplay box to the stock head unit. None of these have the same build quality as the OEM equipment and just looks off to me.

What is the current "best" carplay add on box people are using now?
Old 07-03-2024, 02:11 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
Man am I the only one that hates all of these android head units? I much prefer adding the carplay box to the stock head unit. None of these have the same build quality as the OEM equipment and just looks off to me.

I 100% agreed with you until the CHSTEK one came out. The buttons, build quality, fit and finish feel 99% OEM quality. I have done NMAuto Carplay AND Mr12Volt. After the increase in screen size, responsiveness and features. I have zero desire to go back to my PCM.

Old 07-03-2024, 02:39 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i

The build quality of my PCM 3.1 was dreadful. It was basically a really poor, low-quality tin box, made in two parts that were bodged together with crappy metal tags, and on the front was a screen from the 1990s. Maybe the later PCMs are better?

But for those who want to retain the PCM, Android Auto or Carplay can be added with various solutions from Isudar, Mr 12 Volt, JoyeAuto and others. A lot of people like Mr 12 Volt, but that may be because they have the option (in the USA anyway) of having it professionally fitted. Opening the PCM can cut your fingers on the cheap, sharp tin, if you are not careful and fitting the add-on boards is tricky, which is why people like having those units professionally installed. I have had two Isudar boards which worked OK, but I wanted to get away from the dated PCM. Try googling Mr 12 Volt and see if that suits.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:43 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joec500
I 100% agreed with you until the CHSTEK one came out. The buttons, build quality, fit and finish feel 99% OEM quality. I have done NMAuto Carplay AND Mr12Volt. After the increase in screen size, responsiveness and features. I have zero desire to go back to my PCM.

My sentiments exactly. It's getting a real, up-to-date infotainment solution that I wanted. Porsche themselves recognise how dated the PCM 3.1 is, which is why they offer a much better solution in the current cars. I didn't really want to drop 100 grand just to get a better infotainment solution, and, as you say, you can get 99% there for a few hundred bucks. No brainer for me.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:08 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
I had to extend my camera power cable. It's easy enough to add a length of wire and fix with one of the solder connectors you heat up, or even a terminal block.

On your broken tab, do you have the broken bit? Is it worth fixing it rather than returning it? Some epoxy adhesive will create a very strong fix. Also, I think the head unit will be very secure with 3 tabs, so as a worst case option you probably don't need it...
Thanks, I prefer not to run another separate power cable if I can. I think I am going to try run a 4pin camera extension cable and get a shorter cable for the ones that plugs into the head unit so I don't have a large bundle.

I am sending the unit back so they can send me a replacement. I am just not happy that I can't knock this out during this long 4th of July weekend, and I am not sure when I'll get time again to do this. I might just do all the work to install this unit, ship the unit back, and then swap the new one in when it comes. But then, now I am stuck without the wires for the cameras anyway LOL....
Old 07-03-2024, 05:11 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Yes. I temporarily lost one of the 4 screws in the Cayman and ended up installing with just 3. No problem at all. When I finally got a round tuit, I replaced the missing screw with - prepare to be amazed - a genuine Porsche screw. And a few days later of course, I found the missing screw under the seat.
I think my concern is without the extra bracket on one side, the headunit will not sit flush and will pop up slightly at that one corner. I think missing a screw, the tabs are still held on by the side panels, but without the tab, there's nothing to hold on to, and the remaining tab will have a higher chance of breaking off now that it's the only one holding it in place. I just don't understand how they can make this part with thin plastic.....the Erisin unit seems to be metal.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:27 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by Joec500

I am looking at the install guide shared in OneDrive and noticed that the backup/front camera installation information doesn't help at all. Can we update that doc with specific information for this CHSTEK unit? There are several camera inputs, CVBA-1, CVBS-2 and CAM-VIN and there's also another AV adapter cable that comes with the kit. Would be nice to know what connects to what, and how to make the camera view pops up in reverse and whats the best cable to tap in for camera power etc.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:08 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 138 Posts

Did you look at the very end of the guide? There's some unedited content there that needs formatting properly and I can't remember if there is more camera info there.. But we do need to update it for the Chstek

If your car is manual you'll have to search the thread as the installation is a bit more complex, but all the info is there.

If you are PDK then use the CAM VIN RCA and then tap the camera power cable to the brown wire in the harness. Do not try any other power lines, just the brown one. Again there are pics in the thread. Shout if you have any problems..

Last edited by andy2111; 07-04-2024 at 03:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bmxtreme (07-16-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:42 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

For manual cars, to install the rear camera, tap into the blue-black wire from the rear body control module located under the left seat. This wire goes hot when reverse is selected.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:00 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks interesting. I read through @andy2111 's guide and I have a couple of questions on the CHSTEK unit's functionality. Can you use the Porsche TPMS sensors or must you use the third party solution? Does it retain the standard Porsche menus for car settings?

Martin
Old 07-05-2024, 02:26 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Hi Martin, I'm afraid you can't use the porsche tpms but the aftermarket units work well, although they don't display info in the multi function display, instead it runs as an app in the head unit. I have set mine to auto start when the head unit boots so it is always running.

The porsche car settings in the MFD still work, for the features that remain. By that I mean the navigation display, radio etc do not work in the MFD as the hardware is in the PCM so gets removed. Most of us use the car settings to hide the screens in the MFD that are no longer relevant.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:55 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by andy2111
Hi Martin, I'm afraid you can't use the porsche tpms but the aftermarket units work well, although they don't display info in the multi function display, instead it runs as an app in the head unit. I have set mine to auto start when the head unit boots so it is always running.

The porsche car settings in the MFD still work, for the features that remain. By that I mean the navigation display, radio etc do not work in the MFD as the hardware is in the PCM so gets removed. Most of us use the car settings to hide the screens in the MFD that are no longer relevant.
Is this correct? How will those other 991 that spec them without a PCM monitors their tire pressure? IIRC, there's a separate TPMS control unit under the car and 4 antennas on each wheel well. I don't think it's in the PCM.
Old 07-05-2024, 03:02 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Well that's my understanding, but I'm very happy to be proven wrong! Your explanation sounds very plausible, does anyone else have a definitive answer on this?

If integrated tpms isn't a deal breaker for a Chstek upgrade then Martin could give it a go and whatever the result we'll add it to the knowledge base..😁

Old 07-05-2024, 08:49 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Is this correct? How will those other 991 that spec them without a PCM monitors their tire pressure? IIRC, there's a separate TPMS control unit under the car and 4 antennas on each wheel well. I don't think it's in the PCM.
I believe you are correct. I have a PDF of the PCM3.1 manual and the words "TPMS" and "tire" are not in the manual. The word "tyre" does appear four times but it is used only in relation to the GPS/navigation system. That tells me TPMS is not in the PCM unit.

Can someone who has installed the CHSTEK unit verify that the Porsche TPMS still displays in the instrument cluster?

If I don't get an answer to this question I may volunteer to be the guinea pig.

Thanks,
Martin

Last edited by mhconley; 07-05-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 02:00 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by mhconley
I believe you are correct. I have a PDF of the PCM3.1 manual and the words "TPMS" and "tire" are not in the manual. The word "tyre" does appear four times but it is used only in relation to the GPS/navigation system. That tells me TPMS is not in the PCM unit.

Can someone who has installed the CHSTEK unit verify that the Porsche TPMS still displays in the instrument cluster?

If I don't get an answer to this question I may volunteer to be the guinea pig.

Thanks,
Martin
I have the CHStek and still have my TPMS in the tiny screen on the instrument cluster
The following 2 users liked this post by Joec500:
bmxtreme (07-07-2024), mhconley (07-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1