Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 12:18 PM
Carlinklife
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Provide the best price of $259 in December.Use discount code "DEC100" to get a discount of $100Provides two-year warranty. link:Wireless CarPlay Android Auto for Porsche 911 Boxster Cayman Macan Cayenne Panamera
Old 01-01-2024, 11:47 AM
CardinalFlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
One final wrinkle concerns the FM antenna. The Porsche OEM antenna terminates in a female, black Fakra connector. The head unit uses a twin Fakra, circled in this photo:

I initially sourced the wrong adapter cable for this, and I am waiting for a replacement from Amazon, which has not yet arrived. I will link to it when it does (assuming I have got it right this time). This new cable will sit between the OEM black Fakra and the unit. It isn't of too much concern for me right now as we use Tune-in for radio, and this works perfectly with both Carplay/Android Auto and the head unit itself.
Hey ZedZed, is this the FM antenna adapter you referred to in this post? My HU arrived and I'm ready to do the swap, but I want to make sure I have all that I need.

Amazon Amazon

Thanks to the information you have already shared, I purchased the GPS adapter.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:11 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by CardinalFlyer
Hey ZedZed, is this the FM antenna adapter you referred to in this post? My HU arrived and I'm ready to do the swap, but I want to make sure I have all that I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Anina-Antenna...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

Thanks to the information you have already shared, I purchased the GPS adapter.
Hey buddy. The best I can say is "it might be". I initially tried one that didn't fit, then I got this one:

Amazon Amazon

But I haven't tried it yet, since my wife is happy with TuneIn Radio or Replaio for radio, so there has been no pressure for me to pull the HU out again to see if this one works. It's sitting on my bench waiting . . . The one you linked to looks as if it should work so it would be good if you could try it and then let us know. I'd recommend using Amazon so at least they are easy to return if no good (although mine is out of the return window now anyway).

Do let us know how you get on with the installation and if you run into any issues. Hopefully, it will be plain sailing, as my wife's unit was.

Happy New Year to you, and let me tell you how I envy you for that Florida weather.
The following users liked this post:
poorshoeless (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 12:50 PM
CardinalFlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Do let us know how you get on with the installation and if you run into any issues. Hopefully, it will be plain sailing, as my wife's unit was.

Happy New Year to you, and let me tell you how I envy you for that Florida weather.
I went ahead and ordered 3 variants from Amazon. I'll report back here if any of them worked.

Another question I haven't seen addressed here is the issue of SiriusXM. My current PCM has that option and I kind of enjoy it. The replacement HU doesn't appear to feature satellite radio. Is anyone aware of an add-on SiriusXM box? Is there a way to incorporate that function into the replacement HU?

Sunny & 60 degrees F here today. I'd prefer a little warmer, but I'm not complaining!
Old 01-01-2024, 01:01 PM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be wrong here, but just referencing the pictures ZedZed posted of the back of the PCM and the Androin HU it would appear you'd need the following:
Dual female Fakra to single male Fakra Dual female Fakra to single male Fakra
Old 01-01-2024, 02:13 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 748 Posts

I went ahead and ordered 3 variants from Amazon. I'll report back here if any of them worked.

Another question I haven't seen addressed here is the issue of SiriusXM. My current PCM has that option and I kind of enjoy it. The replacement HU doesn't appear to feature satellite radio. Is anyone aware of an add-on SiriusXM box? Is there a way to incorporate that function into the replacement HU?

Sunny & 60 degrees F here today. I'd prefer a little warmer, but I'm not complaining!
There are SirriusXM apps from the Google Playstore that you can DL to the Android HU.
ZedZed (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 06:45 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

@CardinalFlyer The one you linked in your post is different from the one I used and that fits the new HU. My car is a 991.1 S 2013.

This is the one I used and that work.

Amazon.com: Diversity Car Antenna Adapter Fakra Plug to Type B Double Socket by Keple, OEM Vehicle Aerial GPS Navigation Adaptor for Car Models with RNS, RCD GPS Navigation : Electronics Amazon.com: Diversity Car Antenna Adapter Fakra Plug to Type B Double Socket by Keple, OEM Vehicle Aerial GPS Navigation Adaptor for Car Models with RNS, RCD GPS Navigation : Electronics

And just in case, the GPS adapter I used is:

Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle Car GPS Antenna Adapter Cable SMA Male to Fakra C Male Blue Coaxial Pigtail Cable 15cm 6 inch for Vehicle Truck SUV Car Stereo Head Unit GPS Navigation Receiver System GPS Tracker Modem : Electronics Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle Car GPS Antenna Adapter Cable SMA Male to Fakra C Male Blue Coaxial Pigtail Cable 15cm 6 inch for Vehicle Truck SUV Car Stereo Head Unit GPS Navigation Receiver System GPS Tracker Modem : Electronics

Congratulations on your new HU. Have fun.

Last edited by Chuck245; 01-01-2024 at 06:48 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Received 444 Likes on 306 Posts

Once you have CarPlay or Android Auto you can stream it on the Sirius/XM app. I think the sound quality may be a little bit better.

My CarPlay solution was a Mr12Volt, which retained all the OEM PCM 3.1 HU functionality. As a result, I've compared the sound quality via the direct satellite PCM connection with the quality from streaming on CarPlay. I think the latter is a little better.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:09 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Thanks for confirming that. That is the connector sitting on my bench waiting to be installed!
Old 01-01-2024, 08:36 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, I got the reference from you so it's the same and it fits perfectly.
ZedZed (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 07:52 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck245
Yes, I got the reference from you so it's the same and it fits perfectly.
That is great news! I got the right one after the second attempt - not too bad Thanks for confirming that for me.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:05 AM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Those with the Erisin HU, do you retain the parking sensor graphic, front and back, or is it lost when you replace the PCM?
Old 01-02-2024, 09:27 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dark Kauphee
Those with the Erisin HU, do you retain the parking sensor graphic, front and back, or is it lost when you replace the PCM?
The Erisin HUs for Porsche seem to be the same as the unit I have in my wife's Cayman (see image). On my unit, the parking sensor graphic, front and back, is retained, and is, IMO, improved on compared with the OEM graphic, as it conveys more information and is in a coloured display with red, amber and green lines indicating the proximity of objects. The parking sensor information is routed via the Canbus and is not generated at all by the PCM - the PCM just provides the display.

As far as I am aware, all the current crop of Android HUs have the parking sensor display. If in doubt, a message directly to the seller should provide the information.

The EIRISN unit.

The unit I installed in the Cayman.

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-02-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Dark Kauphee (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 11:28 AM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Thanks ZedZed! I just wanted to make sure that the Erisin style HU shows the graphic overlay on the screen regardless of a camera or not. If I go this route, I would be installing a rear camera as well and want the aforementioned functionality.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:42 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dark Kauphee
Thanks ZedZed! I just wanted to make sure that the Erisin style HU shows the graphic overlay on the screen regardless of a camera or not. If I go this route, I would be installing a rear camera as well and want the aforementioned functionality.
You're welcome. I believe that, so long as the parking sensors are installed in the bumpers, the parking sensor graphic display shows up with or without a camera in the system. Here I have an OEM camera in the Panamera and an aftermarket camera in the Cayman, and both cars have parking sensors. In both cars the parking sensor display lights up as it did in OEM form. I think you are good to go.
Dark Kauphee (01-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1