Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 03:49 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
There's a menu option on the Chinese HU for learning steering wheel buttons. Has this been discussed? My 911 does not have SW controls, so I can't test it. My Boxster does, but it also has a PCM 4.1. So that doesn't help either.
@flgfish is referring to Pioneer, Alpine HUs etc. As far as I know, all the Chinese Android HUs have inbuilt support for steering wheel controls which works right out of the box (after a simple setup procedure via the menus).
Old 12-04-2023, 03:51 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flgfish
You're right! Well done. Flipping that option fixed the backup camera issue. Thank you!

Oddly enough, the screen tearing was NOT happening when I was in the garage playing with the backup camera setting. So I'm becoming more convinced this is a board issue, either hardware or firmware, and not a connection issue.
Check out the word "Marriott" on the screen, you'll see it. It gets much worse than this at times.
Screen issues are often related to incorrect seating of the ribbon cables. It might be worth checking that they are all firmly seated, parallel to the connector with the lugs pressed down firmly, if you haven't already done that. If you have done that and the screen still tears up, then it is probably some other issue and points perhaps to a faulty board.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:08 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I did the Isudar install and had issues with Entry & Drive and can only attribute it to the installation of the Isudar board as it went away after I pulled it. There were times I needed to use the physical key to unlock the car and then still would have trouble staring, getting the message "Key fob not found", so I'd have to resort to pulling the dummy key and insert the actual fob to start the car. I also had issues with the board hijacking my wifi LAN while at home after parking in the garage. Additionally I continually had problems with sound not being present, which was probably due to some setting in the PCM that would reset, but this was just another annoyance because of the Isudar board.

I installed one of the Android head units and so far it's like a blessing from heaven. The Entry & Drive issues that were troublesome, all went away. I couldn't be more pleased to have an updated system running wireless CarPlay natively and have a screen that looks much better and responds more quickly.

How does the handsfree work? Is the unit able to use the factory microphone or you have to use an aftermarket mic? Call/sound quality?
Old 12-04-2023, 04:16 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Does the Android radio add HD radio support? That would be a cool feature to have actually. I'd have to balance that vs my innate dubiousness of Android HUs and the loss of the other Porsche integrated features (that I never use, TBH).
Apparently, it's even easier to add Sirius XM to an Android HU - you need to download the Sirius XM app to the HU:

Old 12-04-2023, 04:24 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
How does the handsfree work? Is the unit able to use the factory microphone or you have to use an aftermarket mic? Call/sound quality?
In my unit, I tried the factory mic, which worked OK. But when I tried the supplied mic, it worked better. This may be for various reasons: the factory mic is old tech in my wife's Cayman where the supplied mic is, presumably, up-to-date. Also, the factory mic in the Cayman is behind the steering wheel inside a plastic shroud. I routed the supplied mic through the A pillar, behind the rubber seal, and out at the top corner of the windshield. No visible wiring and if you didn't know the small mic was there, you'd never really notice it.

With the factory mic, call quality here was OK. With the supplied mic, call quality was better. Also, Google Assistant (similar to Siri) worked more reliably with the supplied mic. It may be the location of the supplied mic, or maybe it's a better mic - no idea. But that was my experience here. Obviosuly there are a lot of factors - signal strength, carrier, ambient noise etc.

In my Panamera, with the widescreen HU, I stayed with the OEM mic. In the Panamera the OEM mic is in a better location, and may be a superior mic to begin with. As the mic comes with the HU anyway, you might as well try both and see which is best for you.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:48 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
You can add satellite radio quite easily and cheaply - you would need a satellite radio adapter box (Amazon) and an app to use with it (play store/app store). The adapter boxes have a brass connection which is meant to be used with the horrible antenna they provide with the box (meant to be stuck to the windscreen - ugh). But you can buy an adapter (Amazon) where one end goes into the sat radio adapter box and the other end into the OEM FAKRA connector for the OEM sat radio. The adapter box is powered by a USB connection which you can arrange behind the radio using one of the spare USB connectors provided with the HU, so the result is invisible.

Which OEM features do you have in mind when you say you would lose some of the integrated features? Obviously, you would lose anything which is exclusive to the PCM itself, since that will have been discarded and replaced by the new HU - so that would be phone, satellite navigation and the original radio. All three of those will be replaced by the HU. I can't think of any other integrated features that I have lost.

Here is the first sat radio adapter that came up on my search - there are loads of them, and many much cheaper than this. In the UK we have 'DAB' radio (Digital Audio Broadcast) - in the US I believe this is called Sirius or something like that? Your local Amazon should have the correct adapter I would expect.

This is the kind of antenna adapter you would need to make the installation totally invisible:

I don't think any of the HUs have satellite radio built in because the frequency bands vary from country to country.
Not satellite. HD radio. The digital stations carried on terrestrial FM radio bands.
I guess I could look at the spec sheet and find out. I’m just being lazy now.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:49 PM
flgfish
Pro

Screen issues are often related to incorrect seating of the ribbon cables. It might be worth checking that they are all firmly seated, parallel to the connector with the lugs pressed down firmly, if you haven't already done that. If you have done that and the screen still tears up, then it is probably some other issue and points perhaps to a faulty board.
I’ve done that several times.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (12-05-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 05:51 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

In my unit, I tried the factory mic, which worked OK. But when I tried the supplied mic, it worked better. This may be for various reasons: the factory mic is old tech in my wife's Cayman where the supplied mic is, presumably, up-to-date. Also, the factory mic in the Cayman is behind the steering wheel inside a plastic shroud. I routed the supplied mic through the A pillar, behind the rubber seal, and out at the top corner of the windshield. No visible wiring and if you didn't know the small mic was there, you'd never really notice it.

With the factory mic, call quality here was OK. With the supplied mic, call quality was better. Also, Google Assistant (similar to Siri) worked more reliably with the supplied mic. It may be the location of the supplied mic, or maybe it's a better mic - no idea. But that was my experience here. Obviosuly there are a lot of factors - signal strength, carrier, ambient noise etc.

In my Panamera, with the widescreen HU, I stayed with the OEM mic. In the Panamera the OEM mic is in a better location, and may be a superior mic to begin with. As the mic comes with the HU anyway, you might as well try both and see which is best for you.
Perfect thank you exactly what I was looking to hear.
ZedZed (12-05-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 07:50 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
I have been using the factory mics located in the steering column housing. But like Zed, I think I'll be using the one supplied with the kit. People have said they have trouble hearing me. However before doing that I'll see if upping the gain in the mic will help. There are menu settings for doing this. That said, I've had no issues accessing Siri with the mic.
ZedZed (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 08:52 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Not satellite. HD radio. The digital stations carried on terrestrial FM radio bands.
I guess I could look at the spec sheet and find out. I’m just being lazy now.
My bad - sorry for the misunderstanding. I am using TuneIn and/or Replaio for radio (with Android Auto) and these give me thousands of streamed radio stations, which is OK for me. I generally listen to Tidal when on the move anyway, and only use radio (usually) for news broadcasts or 'talk' stuff.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:56 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I have been using the factory mics located in the steering column housing. But like Zed, I think I'll be using the one supplied with the kit. People have said they have trouble hearing me. However before doing that I'll see if upping the gain in the mic will help. There are menu settings for doing this. That said, I've had no issues accessing Siri with the mic.
Upping the mic gain is worth trying. Turn it up to the point where you get feedback and then back it off a bit - that should give you the max gain you can handle. If I recall correctly, I set the gain on my mic to about 70%. If that fails, try the supplied mic, routed via the A pillar (behind the rubber seal) and directed to the top corner of the windscreen on the driver's side. The rest of the wiring goes underneath the dash and finds its way to the back of the HU. It's real easy to make it all invisible.
Live Steam (12-05-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 12:20 AM
flgfish
Pro

Since I asked the question in this thread, I will follow up and say that I did actually find a canbus adapter for Porsche steering wheel controls and third-party aftermarket stereos.

The following 2 users liked this post by flgfish:
Larson E. Rapp (12-07-2023), ZedZed (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 01:30 AM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New to me car! Do i have CarPlay ?

Purchased a 991.1 and when I press info I get these screens
my phone can not find the vehicle however the phone also asks for me to press the voice control button to pair.
please help - its a quality of life matter.

The version of my pcm

The suspect CarPlay screen
Old 12-07-2023, 08:26 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NikosLee
Purchased a 991.1 and when I press info I get these screens
my phone can not find the vehicle however the phone also asks for me to press the voice control button to pair.
please help - its a quality of life matter.

The version of my pcm

The suspect CarPlay screen
Have you disabled/removed the car's original bluetooth connection in your phone?
JHW911 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:11 AM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default ????

Have you disabled/removed the car's original bluetooth connection in your phone?
@ZedZed what do you mean?. My phone is Bluetooth connected to the pcm.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1