Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024 | 07:52 AM
Rmlovett1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Do you have a photo of it in your car?
‘Not a great picture, but it looks basically factory…

The following 2 users liked this post by Rmlovett1:
mamick (06-17-2024), ZedZed (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024 | 07:14 PM
bmxtreme
Pro

Any recommendations for a rear/front camera that works with the CHSTEK unit?
Old 06-17-2024 | 08:10 PM
mamick
Intermediate

I bought this one form Amazon and it worked with my Ersin HU and now with Chstek HU. Just plug and play. I did disable lines on the camera, by cutting the specific loop.

Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by mamick:
bmxtreme (06-17-2024), ZedZed (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024 | 09:56 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Any recommendations for a rear/front camera that works with the CHSTEK unit?
I've used this one three times now, in different cars, perfect every time:

PARKVISION Reversing Camera Flexible Mounting Position Allowed Rear View Backup Camera with Vertically Up-down Inverted Image and Parking Line Optional[PAL-120]: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo PARKVISION Reversing Camera Flexible Mounting Position Allowed Rear View Backup Camera with Vertically Up-down Inverted Image and Parking Line Optional[PAL-120]: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

You can use more or less any camera, but I would advise you to get one with a metal body and a glass lens. Cheap plastic cameras are prone to early failure and plastic lenses can't give the image sharpness that a glass lens can. Other things to look out for a set of wires which you can cut or leave intact in order to enable or disable various features - eg, PAL/NTSC, guidance lines, reverse image etc.
Old 06-25-2024 | 05:17 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

It's been quiet here for a while guys... must mean everyone has installed their new head units and are enjoying the big screen experience?!

Has anyone connected the CHESTEK via bluetooth to a device that is NOT a phone?

I just installed the RaceChip throttle response tuner (same as Pedal Commander etc) and it installed fine, paired with my Android phone and works perfectly (and it is an awesome bit of kit that reaally makes the car feel more alive)

I wanted to have the RaceChip Android app running on the CHSTEK, as it would be much more usable (and also very cool) to be able to press a buton on the head unit to change the throttle response settings - the problem is the CHSTEK can't see the RaceChip controller which should connect over bluetooth.

The bluetooth app on the HU is really poor and the whole UI seems to be largely about pairing phones, but there is a search option but it doesn't find anything. I tried rebooting etc but no difference. I noticed when parked in a garage that I could see a Garmin nav unit from the car parked next to me, so the HU is able to see other BT devices, just not the RaceChip controller.

Does anyone have any ideas before I email RaceChip support? Are there any hidden bluetooth settings anywhere?
Old 06-25-2024 | 07:48 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@andy2111 Same with the Pedal Commander. There is no way that I can get it to talk to the head units in either of our cars. So that is three different HUs that these throttle response units won't work with - I see a trend. I tried every BT trick I know, all without success. I gave up in the end, for two reasons: 1. Both my wife and I have found that, once we have set our 'sweet spot' we haven't felt the need to touch the PC settings again and 2, the PC app is brilliant and very easy to use, should we ever feel the need to adjust the response.

I would like to know why the HUs can't see the Pedal Commander/RaceChip units, for academic interest, so it will be interesting to see what your support guys say. I will ask the same question of Pedal Commander support.
Old 06-25-2024 | 10:28 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

If anyone is interested in buying a Pedal Commander (and I think it's one of the best upgrades ever, even if it won't work directly with our HUs), you can get £25 off if you use this link:

https://pedal-commander-co-uk.myshopify.com?ref=zed_zed
Old 06-25-2024 | 04:43 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I've sent a message to their support team having tried a few more things unsuccessfully today, so let's see what they say.

I agree @ZedZed that it's unlikely I'll be changing the settings much, but I do like things to work as they should, plus it would look pretty cool!
Old 06-25-2024 | 04:54 PM
bill edwards
Advanced

I did but after a few months i took it out and sold it. Still have many parts used for Kenwood. If any needs some , ask

replaced by a local designed and engineered Carplay which integrates with PCM flawlessly. Wireless and wired using WIFI for better bandwidth
Old 06-25-2024 | 05:22 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Welcome back Bill

I didn't fully understand your message.. Did you manage to install the software for a throttle controller on an Android head unit? If so then we'd love to know how you did it, so please do share and maybe we can add your solution to the install guide
Old 06-25-2024 | 08:39 PM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Just stumbled across this thread, and skimmed most of it, but did I miss a pros v cons of going with Erisin vs Chstek? Seems the Erisin unit might have slightly better hardware?
Old 06-25-2024 | 08:51 PM
bmxtreme
Pro

Originally Posted by Cheapo911
Just stumbled across this thread, and skimmed most of it, but did I miss a pros v cons of going with Erisin vs Chstek? Seems the Erisin unit might have slightly better hardware?
CHSTEK has a larger screen but Erisin seems to look abit nicer with the larger dial buttons. The Erisin seems abit cheaper in price. There are a few CPU/RAM/SSD option to choose from CHSTEK.
Old 06-25-2024 | 08:58 PM
bmxtreme
Pro

Originally Posted by andy2111
I've sent a message to their support team having tried a few more things unsuccessfully today, so let's see what they say.

I agree @ZedZed that it's unlikely I'll be changing the settings much, but I do like things to work as they should, plus it would look pretty cool!

I think the head unit BT just implements the receiver protocol, which means it only receives commands from an external device and does not transmit commands. Even if it can be toggle, I don't think it can do both receive and transmit at the same time.
Old 06-26-2024 | 02:00 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Personally I think the Chstek is by far the superior option, having installed both in my car.

IMO it has an almost OEM look to it with the physical buttons and the screen really is in a different league to the Erisin.

I also think the implementation of android is better and the settings menus are much better organised and easier to navigate.

The negatives are very few.. it only has front RCA connectors and it has one fewer usb port (2 in total versus 3 From Erisin) but ref the RCAs, non Bose cars will get all 4 speakers powered via the quadlock connector and Bose units only ever get the fronts connected on all these android units (people play with the front/rear fader to compensate).

So for me it's a no brainier in favour of the Chstek, but whatever you choose go for the fastest cpu with 8GB RAM and at least 128GB storage.

Lots of friendly support here if you decide to go for it!
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 06-26-2024 | 09:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111

+1 on cool!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1