Originally Posted by bigdstwinturbo
Did the Isudar upgrade….
Did you install this?
Old 11-19-2023, 05:25 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts

Did the Isudar upgrade. CarPlay and everything works normally. However, since the install the battery drains in about 10 mins and am unable to restart the car (2014 911S). Took the battery to a Porsche dealer (it’s a Porsche battery) and it checked out and charged up fine. Reinstalled it and hooked it up to a volt meter. It literally drains as I’m watching it. Anyone else have this issue? Thank you.
​​​​​​
I doubt if an Isudar board can draw enough current to flatten a flashlight battery in 10 minutes, so something is definitely wrong. AFAIK nobody had reported a similar issue. I would remove the entire PCM first and then fully charge the battery and, with the PCM out of the car, monitor the drain. If all is now normal, then it's something to do with the PCM. If the battery still discharges, it's something else.

Once you've established that you can proceed to the next step, which will of course depend on the results from the first step.

If the problem points to the PCM, remove the Isudar board and, with a fully charged battery, monitor the drain again. If all is now well, it's something to do with the board.

It may be the board itself or something that happened during the installation. You could try reinstalling the board and repeating the above, or just report the board as DOA and get a refund or replacement.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. BTW, congratulations on joining the world of Porsche - enjoy your 911!

Last edited by ZedZed; 11-20-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:44 PM
bigdstwinturbo
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both for the response to my first ever post here. First time Porsche owner and just got the car on 2 days ago. Yes, thats the one that I installed. It seemed odd to me that it would do that for exactly the same reasons that you mentioned. The steps that you mentioned are pretty much what I did in order to try and isolate the problem but without any improvement. I was then going to take the board but when I opened it up I noticed that the smaller FPC cable was halfway off. Probably from all the jostling trying to get the unit back in there as it’s kind of a tight fit. I pushed it back on figured I would try to see if that was it and put the unit back in. Seems to work now and no excessive power drain so far. Still odd. If it starts tomorrow, then that was it. Again, thank you for the help.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:57 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

That's good news. Those ribbon cables are pigs. I've had to remove the PCM not once but twice to fix problems with them. The last time was the final straw for me and the reason I moved to the replacement head unit (see earlier posts) for my wife's Cayman.

Hopefully your car will start tomorrow and you can enjoy the new features!

All the best, Zed

PS. What's odd is that the PCM worked at all with a half-seated ribbon cable. But who knows? Please come back to update us.

Last edited by ZedZed; 11-19-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:45 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Well, I just bought an Isudar unit from that link. Use code "Black2023" for another $26 off... basically covers shipping.
I'll post to let y'all know how it goes!
Old 11-20-2023, 12:34 AM
Marvin Ventura
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How

Last edited by Marvin Ventura; 11-20-2023 at 01:08 AM. Reason: wrong entry
Old 11-20-2023, 09:17 AM
bigdstwinturbo
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started right up this morning so hopefully that was it! Again, thank you all for your input.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 11:53 AM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Read through this entire thread. Curious what the final consensus is for the best upgrade for audio quality. I have a Burmeister sound system and really hate the idea of sacrificing audio quality. Price is no object for me. Is NM Automotive the pick for audio quality?
Old 11-20-2023, 11:59 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Started right up this morning so hopefully that was it! Again, thank you all for your input.
Great news! Enjoy your first Porsche - you're in for a hell of a ride!
Old 11-20-2023, 12:18 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VaderCab
Read through this entire thread. Curious what the final consensus is for the best upgrade for audio quality. I have a Burmeister sound system and really hate the idea of sacrificing audio quality. Price is no object for me. Is NM Automotive the pick for audio quality?
I have BOSE. I am fairly picky about sound quality (at home, tube amp, expensive TT, great speakers etc). I find that with my aftermarket HU (in my Panamera) the sound is pretty much indistinguishable from the factory sound. Obviously, a moving vehicle is not even approaching the ideal environment for outstanding reproduction of music and there is a question mark over the quality of the source and DAC etc. But I totally get that you want it to be the best that it can be, given the circumstances. With the MOST box installed, I am happy with the SQ. Others may or may not be of course.

If you go with the NM Auto solution, your PCM remains largely original, and your sound should not be negatively affected in any way. This is also true of the other solutions which involve the fitting of an additional board inside the PCM. Mr 12Volt has also received excellent reviews for good SQ.

However, this style of solution brings with it other compromises: you are stuck with the very outdated PCM and its horrible screen. You are also stuck with the awful satnav, which I and many others found to be so unusable that we resorted to running navigation on our cellphones which we then had to attach to the car somehow, which always results in a poor look IMO. By adding an aftermarket head unit, these problems go away.You get a superb, responsive HD touch screen, often bigger than the OEM screen as well, and you get to run the programs of your choice - for streaming music (I use hi-res Tidal), for satellite navigation (I use Waze and/or TomTom) and do on. You also get to use Siri or Google Assistant so that you can run apps, give nav destinations etc by voice, rather than having to touch the screen at all. I especially like being able to say "Call the office" etc and the phone opens and places the call.

So, like pretty much everything in life, it comes down to a set of compromises. Do you stay with the OEM sound but sacrifice the other benefits, or do you enjoy almost indistinguishable sound* and enjoy all those added benefits? Only the individual can decide where their priorities lie. If you go with the former, NM Automotive is a great choice, as is Mr 12Volt. And the Isudar board is similar but cheaper than either of those. Personally, I went the other way and I have not, for one second, regretted it.

* Remember you keep the same amp and speakers whichever route you go.

This is how the Panamera looked before:

And this is how it looks afterwards - a no-brainer for me, but YMMV of course:

(Photos are representative - I can't access the photos of my own car right now - but they are back in the thread somewhere).

Last edited by ZedZed; 11-20-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Porsche_nuts (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 05:43 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VaderCab
For anyone interested in the N M Automotive solution:

Old 11-21-2023, 01:48 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Does anybody know the difference between the nmautomotive and the isudar solution, except the price?
My research showed that the isudar solution is the best comparing price & value. I might be wrong…
Old 11-21-2023, 04:53 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Similar question here:
for 991.1 with PCM 3.1 & Burmeister system, what's the recommended solution?

Thank you @Santirx so much for your detailed youtube review/ comparison for the 3 popular systems, they are very helpful..
I'd appreciate your input on this specific application / use case scenario.
Santirx (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 07:04 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schorsch
Does anybody know the difference between the nmautomotive and the isudar solution, except the price?
My research showed that the isudar solution is the best comparing price & value. I might be wrong…
I doubt there is any significant difference. One potential discriminator is customer service. Nick at NM is very good for support. HST, it is unlikely that you would encounter a problem with the Isudar board that members of this forum could not help you with. There is a lot of Isudar knowledge crammed into these pages, and Isudar themselves have shown a willingness to work with customers to resolve issues. I have had two Isudar boards and both have worked as expected (which is very good).

For me, the choice would not be between NM and Isudar, but between the 'board in PCM' solution and a new aftermarket head unit. In the end, the latter won my vote (in both our cars).
Old 11-21-2023, 07:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99-911
Similar question here:
for 991.1 with PCM 3.1 & Burmeister system, what's the recommended solution?

Thank you @Santirx so much for your detailed youtube review/ comparison for the 3 popular systems, they are very helpful..
I'd appreciate your input on this specific application / use case scenario.
Not Santirx, but IMO your first decision has to be do you want to retain the PCM or not? The answer to that will guide you to the correct solution. Santirx took the same route as I did (based largely on his experiences and advice) which was initially to go with retaining the PCM and putting a new circuit board inside, and then to move away from that to an aftermarket head unit. The reasoning behind the choices is explained in this thread, both by myself and by Santirx.

Both Santirx and I are what some people call 'audiophiles' and both of us have been (and are) very happy with the sound quality from our units. See my post a few posts back about Burmeister - that may help.

100% agreement about @Santirx 's videos - some of the best made, best edited and most informative videos you will find.

Last edited by ZedZed; 11-21-2023 at 07:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
99-911 (11-22-2023), Santirx (11-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1