Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 12:44 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus13190
It's possible have OEM camera 360° with this product ?
That's what they told me. I will know for sure once I get the installation done, hopefully this weekend.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:20 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

An update on the Krando unit I purchased. Today I attempted to do the install myself. The shop I initially wanted to do it, was just taking too long to schedule it and I didn't want it to fall outside of the return window. I pulled the PCM and did a test fit with the new unit and as you can see, the fit was very poor. At that point, I didn't even attempt to hook it up. The bottom of the unit is wider than the center console. This would not allow a proper fit of the side panels that run back to the armrest. Since I'm no longer having issues with the Isudar board coupled with the CarLinkiT dongle, I'll stick with that until something better comes along.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:25 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Live Steam
An update on the Krando unit I purchased. Today I attempted to do the install myself. The shop I initially wanted to do it, was just taking too long to schedule it and I didn't want it to fall outside of the return window. I pulled the PCM and did a test fit with the new unit and as you can see, the fit was very poor. At that point, I didn't even attempt to hook it up. The bottom of the unit is wider than the center console. This would not allow a proper fit of the side panels that run back to the armrest. Since I'm no longer having issues with the Isudar board coupled with the CarLinkiT dongle, I'll stick with that until something better comes along.

That's really bad - the least thing they should be able to do is get the fit right. Good call to stick with the Isudar. I'm hoping my ZWNAV unit doesn't have the same problem.
The following users liked this post:
Live Steam (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 05:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

That is a shame, Live Stream. Had in interest in Krando, but not anymore. Thanks for making the effort and reporting back.
Live Steam (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 05:44 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I installed a similar head unit with virtual control buttons since my PCM also has hard drive issues. Hopefully in the future I can attend and correct the glitches. The new digital head unit I purchased from Alibaba is a Krando brand. The display is awesome and adapts to the fiber optic cables (Burmester or Bose System) with zero issues. It also has a CANBUS decoder and is equipped with CarPlay which connects wirelessly via Bluetooth every time. The only drawback or complaint I have is with the MFD or Multifunction Display. Not all the windows/displays work like OE. In my case the Map for Navigation will not display on the MFD, including the Cellular Carrier which I’m ok with since I use WAZE, Apple Maps or Google. All steering wheel functions work. As for Satellite Radio, an app remedies just fine. Ensure your aftermarket device has the Porsche Icon downloaded so you can set it as your default display during boot up. The only reason I installed an aftermarket head unit are the following: Cost of head unit was much cheaper than a new PCM and the display clarity and resolution. And Yes! My aftermarket backup camera works flawlessly, including the proximity sensors.

love the setup Sid, great unit! I'm looking to my unit soon....
Old 09-01-2023, 06:55 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
love the setup Sid, great unit! I'm looking to my unit soon....
Interesting that Sid's Krando unit fits well, but Live Steam's (slightly different design) unit doesn't. @Live Steam - have you considered swapping the unit for the one Sid has?
Old 09-01-2023, 01:34 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Being naturally impatient, I decided not to wait for the MOS25 box (needed for the Bose fibre optic connection - arriving Sunday) and started the install today. Removing the PCM was straightforward, and I have left all of the ISUDAR wiring in place to make it real easy to put the PCM back if the ZWNAV doesn't fill me with wonder and delight.

I had already wired all of the various harness connections so once the PCM was removed, all I had to do was connect the FM radio antenna, the Wi-Fi antenna and the satnav antenna. Then all that remained was to plug in the quad connector (the 'big-***' connector mentioned many times in this thread).

CONNECTING UP

I have not installed the unit into the dash yet, for obvious reasons. Everything connected, I turned on the ignition and pow! The unit immediately started to boot. It opened to the built-in launcher, which is pretty fugly IMO. From there, the first thing I did was go to settings on the unit and check that all my car settings had been transferred over to the new software. Good news - they have. So I am losing no functionality at all compared with the PCM. I will post photos of this when the unit is properly installed. I set my Bluetooth connection up and this connected immediately. I launched a Wi-Fi hotspot on my Pixel 7a and the unit connected to it without issues.

Now having BT and Wi-Fi, I went to the Play Store and downloaded all my required apps. This photo shows this happening:

I also decided to install CAR WEB GURU as my launcher of choice. There are loads to choose from on the Play Store, but I have used this one before, and I like the interface a lot. I will post photos later when the unit is properly installed.

I was also very happy to see that my multi-function display was working as I expected:

ORIGINAL MFD DISPLAYS

My main concern was that I would lose my 'vital signs' display, but in fact this display works without anything installed at all where the PCM usually sits. I was surprised to see that the MFD shows the selected radio station, so that is a bonus. Navigation and maps are, of course, not shown, so I have removed those screens from the MFD. Trip etc is there are before, as is TPMS. Again, I will post photos later.

BACKUP CAMERA

One of my major worries was that the OEM backup camera would not work, but it does, as does the radar proximity sensors. I had to go into settings and choose NTSC in order to see the image. Oh yes, the 'door open' function works too and pops up a nice graphic. I have yet to work out how to tell the unit my car is RHD, so it shows (my) passenger door as open when it's actually the driver's door. I'll figure that out.

APPS

I gave my various navigation apps a workout, and they all work well and look amazing on the big HD screen. I tried YT Music, YT, Netflix, Chrome etc and they all worked as expected.

UNRESOLVED (SO FAR) ISSUES

I have a couple of issues, which I expect to be able to resolve. The mic doesn't seem to be working right now. I am told the unit uses the OEM mic (and it must, as there is no mic input on the unit). I have no sound yet, of course, but hitting the mic button on TomTom nav (which usually works perfectly) did nothing. I am also still not sure if I can create shortcuts to my Car Web Guru launcher for various functions in the native launcher. The most significant of these is the Phone app. This is working properly on testing,(although with no sound I can't test if the mic is working for the phone) but I have to access it currently via the native launcher. Same with the native FM radio app, which is quite nice. I am sure that I am missing something, so I hope to be able to resolve these issues.

That's about it for now. I'd say the installation so far ranks as 'easy'. I am now waiting for the fiber optic 'box' and hopefully this will install without problems and I will have sound. More reports and more pictures as things develop. So far, I am very happy with this unit.

Old 09-01-2023, 02:42 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

I am curious if you tried just leaving the mounting screws loose and move the unit around to position more towards the drivers side? Perhaps fiddling with the mounting holes could get it to position more to the right (Passenger side).

OOOPS DOUBLE POST PLEASE DELETE

Last edited by Joec500; 09-01-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:44 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

I am curious if you tried just leaving the mounting screws loose and move the unit around to position more towards the Passenger side? Perhaps fiddling with the mounting holes could get it to position more to the right (Passenger side). It just looks slightly off centered to me. Maybe even just widening the plastic mounting holes a bit could get you the clearance you need?
Old 09-01-2023, 03:34 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Quick update - the OEM mic does work. I made a phone call and the person on the other end could hear me clearly. Of course, I couldn't hear them (until I get the car's sound working). So that's one issue crossed off already. Also, I have figured out now how to get the FM radio shortcut into my launcher of choice. Still working on getting the phone sorted there.

Last edited by ZedZed; 09-01-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:47 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

All good news thus far, Zed
ZedZed (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 04:44 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

All good news thus far, Zed
Yep. Got the FM radio into my launcher now as well. Still not got the phone to work in anything other than the stock launcher, but I am sure I will fix it.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:59 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I am curious if you tried just leaving the mounting screws loose and move the unit around to position more towards the drivers side? Perhaps fiddling with the mounting holes could get it to position more to the right (Passenger side).

OOOPS DOUBLE POST PLEASE DELETE
If you look at the arrows I placed in the pics, you'll see the body of the unit is wider than the screen. When I installed it for fit, you can see how the right side forced the whole unit to the left. There's also not much "wiggle room" where the screws pass thru the mounting bracket to the mounting point on the dash. The whole thing would have been a terrible install especially after reinstalling the leather side panels of the console. They really need to rework the dimensions for a better fit. It needs to be a seamless installation or it's not worth putting into a 100k+ car.
ZedZed (09-01-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 10:47 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

A bit more progress. The fibre optic 'magic box' is arriving later today, a day earlier than expected, so that's a bonus. Everything is wired in now and just waiting for this fibre optic box, which will hopefully complete the installation. I had a little difficulty in getting Android Auto to work. First off, Apple Carp[lay operates wirelessly, but AA on this unit needs a wired connection (or that is my understanding). This isn't important to me, as I invariably plug my phone in to charge it when I am driving. It might matter to some though, so be advised. What I seemed to have been doing wrong is this: there are two ports on the back of the unit for USB connections. One goes to the yellow OEM plug in the car (USB to center console) and the other is 'free' - presumably for updates or a flash drive etc, I have wired the end of this to the underside of the dash, near the steering column. My mistake was I had these reversed, and once I had tried using the alternative USB, AA fired up. I switched the connection at the back of the unit, so that AA is now connected via the USB in the centre and all seeems to be OK.

I now have three launchers installed - the OEM one, which is pretty horrible to look at but functions well, Car Web Guru and now Android Auto. I can switch between them at will, quite easily. I am hoping to automate the start-up at some stage so that CWG or AA loads automatically, but that can wait. Both CWG and AA have their respective advantages and drawbacks.

This is what CWG currently looks like as the launcher:

The button marked Tlink5 currently launches Android Auto, which looks like this:

I have installed the center air vent apparatus - very easy to do, took 2 minutes. Testing without the had unit in place, the airflow to the center vents is seriously restricted, compared with the OEM vents. The good news is that this seems to direct more airflow to the end vents. This isn't an issue for me in the UK - but if you live in Arizona, it might well be. The alternative unit which @Santirx installed fixes this issue, at the cost of a more complicated installation - unfortunately that unit is not available for RHD cars (needs new dash trims).

All looking OK so far. I am now crossing my fingers that the fiber optic box enables sound. Later . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
Live Steam (09-02-2023), Porsche_nuts (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 01:30 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Backup camera pic:

It looks better in real life than the (rubbishy) phonephoto.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1