Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 04:05 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by kanecs
Love this option, thanks for posting! How has it been performing since you installed? Any tips from your install? Also, did you add rear or forward camera?
I only added a rear camera (a Boyo from Crutchfield). My back up sensors still work, so I'm undecided about whether I'll keep the guidelines from the camera or not. I did measure to see what distance they're indicating, and it's very short. Because the camera is so low, the lines really aren't helpful when the backup sensors are so much more reliable.
Other than the points I made in my post, I really have no tips - make sure the ribbon cables are seated properly (and if you have trouble, doo them again - never assume). Make sure you change the setting for a rear camera to aftermarket in the settings.

The only issue I've had is that occasionally I'll get a warning about this being the first time I'm connecting my phone. I've found it easiest to delete it and re-pair it.
I'm not fussy about sound quality, so I won't comment on that, but everything else I wanted from carplay works great, and using the stock microphone for the phone (which works great) was a big plus.
The following users liked this post:
kanecs (07-18-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 04:35 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
. My complaints are:
1. Sometimes the phone doesn’t seem to want to answer using the Car Audio system.
2. Sometimes the CarPlay system does not automatically boot up.
3. In order to utilize any of the streaming apps in CarPlay, you still have to select the Aux/Bluetooth setting in the legacy PCM system.
It's switching to the Bluetooth/Aux each time that I think is a bit cumbersome. If I've switched to Carplay, I'm probably going to use that for audio...this would be a great update if possible.
I installed a different kit in a B8.5 Audi A5, and there were two options available for that install: one was to insert a dummy plug into the aux port in the glove box, the other was to change the coding in the MMI (we did that, then found the plug in a storage pocket later...)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:52 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Bumping this thread... In hopes someone that did a whole Screen swap would answer a few questions...

I tried the Isudar board and it didn't go well. I would prefer to replace the whole unit, but am curious about what you would actually lose once you remove PCM.
A few of you that have it swapped only talk how Carplay is awesome and it connects, but what about the original stuff that PCM had (car settings, Maps displayed in the gauge cluster, tpms, etc). Does that still work? Does it intergrate with anything that original PCM did like rear camera, ParkAssist etc?

Thank you!
Old 08-01-2023, 11:21 AM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stark7x
Bumping this thread... In hopes someone that did a whole Screen swap would answer a few questions...

I tried the Isudar board and it didn't go well. I would prefer to replace the whole unit, but am curious about what you would actually lose once you remove PCM.
A few of you that have it swapped only talk how Carplay is awesome and it connects, but what about the original stuff that PCM had (car settings, Maps displayed in the gauge cluster, tpms, etc). Does that still work? Does it intergrate with anything that original PCM did like rear camera, ParkAssist etc?

Thank you!

I have the older JoyeAuto board and box. Installed it about 3 years ago. A few issues related to incompletely seating connections when I did the install, but once I fixed that it has been rock solid.
When Apple CarPlay is active, I still have the map in the gauge cluster, but it just shows location not directions. All other functions linked to the PCM in the gauge cluster work as normal (TPMS, oil level/temp, etc...).

I only have front/rear parking sensors, which work fine. When I'm in reverse with CarPlay activated, I also get a visual indicator of the car relative to objects nearby. I don't get this in drive. But if I wanted, I guess I could switch out of CarPlay mode and back to the PCM to get the original Porsche view. I've had the rear camera sitting on my garage workbench mocking me for nearly 2 years. I should install it one of these days.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:32 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c615586
I have the older JoyeAuto board and box. Installed it about 3 years ago. A few issues related to incompletely seating connections when I did the install, but once I fixed that it has been rock solid.
When Apple CarPlay is active, I still have the map in the gauge cluster, but it just shows location not directions. All other functions linked to the PCM in the gauge cluster work as normal (TPMS, oil level/temp, etc...).

I only have front/rear parking sensors, which work fine. When I'm in reverse with CarPlay activated, I also get a visual indicator of the car relative to objects nearby. I don't get this in drive. But if I wanted, I guess I could switch out of CarPlay mode and back to the PCM to get the original Porsche view. I've had the rear camera sitting on my garage workbench mocking me for nearly 2 years. I should install it one of these days.
I'm talking about replacing the whole PCM with a unit like this:
Amazon.com: [2023 Version] Android 12 Car Radio Stereo GPS Navigation for Porsche Cayman 911 Boxster 2010-2015 Car Multimedia Player 8.4 inch Blu-ray Screen (2GB RAM 32GB ROM with Fiber Decoder) : Electronics Amazon.com: [2023 Version] Android 12 Car Radio Stereo GPS Navigation for Porsche Cayman 911 Boxster 2010-2015 Car Multimedia Player 8.4 inch Blu-ray Screen (2GB RAM 32GB ROM with Fiber Decoder) : Electronics

I know a few have done it, but never came back to actually give feedback and a review other than: Carplay works great.

I know all the boards keep the PCM working and retain the same info as you had before... but this is replacing the whole PCM with another unit.

Thanks for the info though.

EDIT: I just ordered that unit in the link... Since my PCM is out of the car right now anyway, and sitting on the bench... may as well try this thing and see what happens. It's coming Thursday, so i'll probably have all the answers by this weekend.

Last edited by Stark7x; 08-01-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:45 AM
c615586
Instructor

Ah, yes. We talked about similar versions of these that are sold on AliExpress sometime ago on this thread. I'm very curious about these full replacements as well.
Thanks for going where none of us have gone before!
Old 08-01-2023, 01:40 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Stark7x
I'm talking about replacing the whole PCM with a unit like this: Amazon.com: [2023 Version] Android 12 Car Radio Stereo GPS Navigation for Porsche Cayman 911 Boxster 2010-2015 Car Multimedia Player 8.4 inch Blu-ray Screen (2GB RAM 32GB ROM with Fiber Decoder) : Electronics

I know a few have done it, but never came back to actually give feedback and a review other than: Carplay works great.

I know all the boards keep the PCM working and retain the same info as you had before... but this is replacing the whole PCM with another unit.

Thanks for the info though.

EDIT: I just ordered that unit in the link... Since my PCM is out of the car right now anyway, and sitting on the bench... may as well try this thing and see what happens. It's coming Thursday, so i'll probably have all the answers by this weekend.

I installed a similar head unit with virtual control buttons since my PCM also has hard drive issues. Hopefully in the future I can attend and correct the glitches. The new digital head unit I purchased from Alibaba is a Krando brand. The display is awesome and adapts to the fiber optic cables (Burmester or Bose System) with zero issues. It also has a CANBUS decoder and is equipped with CarPlay which connects wirelessly via Bluetooth every time. The only drawback or complaint I have is with the MFD or Multifunction Display. Not all the windows/displays work like OE. In my case the Map for Navigation will not display on the MFD, including the Cellular Carrier which I’m ok with since I use WAZE, Apple Maps or Google. All steering wheel functions work. As for Satellite Radio, an app remedies just fine. Ensure your aftermarket device has the Porsche Icon downloaded so you can set it as your default display during boot up. The only reason I installed an aftermarket head unit are the following: Cost of head unit was much cheaper than a new PCM and the display clarity and resolution. And Yes! My aftermarket backup camera works flawlessly, including the proximity sensors.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 08-01-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add images
The following 3 users liked this post by Sidvicious7:
c615586 (08-01-2023), Stark7x (08-01-2023), TsaiCo (08-31-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 02:26 PM
c615586
Instructor

That looks great. I've been thinking about the Krando unit for awhile. Might be time to pull the trigger.
Does it work with the Porsche TPMS?
Old 08-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

My only hesitation is I don't have steering wheel controls and I will miss the volume ****, but if I did have volume know on my steering wheel I would 100% go this route.

Does it effect your MFD on your dash?
Old 08-01-2023, 03:08 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c615586
That looks great. I've been thinking about the Krando unit for awhile. Might be time to pull the trigger.
Does it work with the Porsche TPMS?
The tire pressure displays on the MFD, same as with the PCM.
The following users liked this post:
c615586 (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 03:13 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joec500
My only hesitation is I don't have steering wheel controls and I will miss the volume ****, but if I did have volume know on my steering wheel I would 100% go this route.

Does it affect your MFD on your dash?
The aftermarket head unit has a built in feature which allows the user to control the volume with the touch screen. The user can also locate the virtual control button anywhere on the display to their likely. The virtual button is slightly faded as to not interfere with the main display. Refer to my post with the images; “The image with the parking sensors,” take notice of the blue dot on the upper left corner of the display which is the virtual button to control the volume by simply pressing on it to launch the control for the volume.

This is the back side layout for the aftermarket head unit.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 08-01-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:15 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

I've just installed my 3rd NM Automotive unit in my cars. 2012 911S, 2016 Panamera Turbo and 2016 GT4, all based on the PCM 3.1. All work great. The backup cameras I added to the 911 and the GT4 are really helpful, too.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:07 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
The aftermarket head unit has a built in feature which allows the user to control the volume with the touch screen. The user can also locate the virtual control button anywhere on the display to their likely. The virtual button is slightly faded as to not interfere with the main display. Refer to my post with the images; “The image with the parking sensors,” take notice of the blue dot on the upper left corner of the display which is the virtual button to control the volume by simply pressing on it to launch the control for the volume.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO!

This is what i was looking for. It looks like the one I ordered is pretty similar to that one... It sure looks like and it comes also with the Fiber optic box to convert from bose to it... Any chance, if it's not too much trouble, can you take a quick video just showing the volume how it works? That is one of those things where it bugs me... and as far as the PCM being gone, Did you have to install aftermarket camera or do you think the stock one would work? Lastly, I assume anything you had on the PCM as far as car settings, can still be done on the MFD... you just can't see maps... probably? Thank you!
Old 08-01-2023, 07:23 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

I just hate touch screen volume controls, I am stinker for analog ***** LOL
Old 08-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joec500
I just hate touch screen volume controls, I am stinker for analog ***** LOL
I failed to mention I can also control the volume from the steering wheel control too.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1